diy solar

diy solar

Use a Solis hybrid inverter in a campervan?

Freesurfer

I am working on a campervan project and I am looking for some solar equipment to go with it. I am thinking of going with a 48V lithium battery bank, and solar panels on the roof.

I noticed that the retailer that I usually order my solar equipment from, has added some Solis hybrid inverters to their website. While the inverter is mainly intended for grid-tie operation to export PV back to the grid, with an option for battery storage, it also doubles as a "UPS", and I am wondering if the inverter will be suitable for off-grid in my case. Because in that case, it really is a self contained all-in-one unit that will handle PV, AC, and "shore power".

https://www.ginlong.com/energy_storage_inverters8/3_6k_s6_l_gl.html

I wonder if anyone has got any experience operating them mainly as off-grid, and if there are any limitations that I should be aware of.

I also wonder if anyone has any experience with Solis inverters in general and if they are of good quality, and if the performance claimed in the datasheet can be trusted or are boasted beyond what they can truely deliver.

Anyone? :)

Check the idle consumption on that unit. You may find that it's too high for a small PV/battery system.
A friend of mine is doing a Sprinter van type build and has bought a Solis… going to see it soon but not being up to snuff on van builds, what would you say is a minimum battery wattage (lifepo4) to have for a reasonably solid system… 3k ….5k….10 k….? I do know it will be a 12 volt system .
I know there many variables to consider ,
i dont know… what’s your best guess for an average
BTW , How is that towable behind the Rv solar trailer working out for ya…? I somehow sorta lost track of it in the posts since last year….
J.

Solis EU Hybrids are 48V, no 12V options
I’m not sure what he got yet , he did say he went with Solis as it would fit better in the space he than Victron…I know he has deep pockets….hmmm , I don’t understand…I guess I will find out…thanks…J.

I can't pull it behind my tow hauler yet. I haven't had time to add a receiver to the back of the toy hauler.
Ok…. Well I think it’s a great idea.. that’s what I’m doing except mine can’t be pulled behind another trailer .. it must be pulled by a seperate vehicle… it’s not for vacationing or boone docking. It’s simply a 6x4 enclosed power trailer..it’s what I’m testing now by running the RV off it totally… .. so far so good… day 5 ..trying many different things … testing and learning more with each hour…
good luck…
J.

The datasheet does not state any idle power consumption. Googling around, people are reporting around 30W of idle power. It is a bit on the higher end, and I am unsure under which mode of operation they are measuring 30W (I'll investigate that a bit further before deciding). However when adding in that the unit is also an MPPT controller and with the electronics for the display, CAN bus etc, 30W may not be that bad.
I am probably aiming at around 6-10kWh of battery storage.

Comparing it to the solar system in my cabin, my Victron Multiplus II (2.4kW continous power) only consumes around 12W of idle power. Then the CCGX control panel, MPPT-controller and shunt all probably take a few extra watts.

On top of that I am hoping to make it so that it is possible to charge from the alternator when the engine is running, and the Solis inverter will also be able to charge from mains. It may also be possible to buy an adapter cable to charge from EV charging stations at around 3kW if the solar panels can't keep up.

Other than that I am wondering if Solis inverters are known to keep their promises regarding power ratings. I plan to have a microwave with "grill and convection" which can draw up to 2400W on its own, on top of light use. The Solis inverter claims to handle 3.6kW / 4kVA (but max 62.5A to/from battery bank, for a total of 3000W in UPS-mode with no sun, I guess)

Other than that I am wondering if Solis inverters are known to keep their promises regarding power ratings. I plan to have a microwave with "grill and convection" which can draw up to 2400W on its own, on top of light use. The Solis inverter claims to handle 3.6kW / 4kVA (but max 62.5A to/from battery bank, for a total of 3000W in UPS-mode with no sun, I guess)
Mine seems to handle what it claims to. I've got a 3kW Solis hybrid inverter with PV and 4.8kWh of Pylontech batteries. I run it in the normal Self-use mode. About 28W is typical for idling and it will happily produce up to 3kW from PV and batteries, or 2.5kW for just batteries as mine are limited to 50A. Any extra is taken from grid when in self-use mode. I haven't tried running it in off-grid mode at all.

Back