diy solar

diy solar

Using a 24V Lifepo4 4.5KW Battery Module from Big Battery.com in an RV

Freddmc

I converted a bus into a motorhome about 30 years ago that we use promarily for camping twice a year..In the last couple of years I have added 300watts of solar panels and a 1500 watt inverter (primarily to run my TV) I have 2x12V deep cycle batteries . All the lights have been changed to LEDS so the daily usage of power is relatively modest.(I estimate 20Amp hours per day).
In addition I also have a 30 y.o. propane fridge that is probably overdue for failure and a new one is expensive.

So my thought is to buy this battery and put in an electric household fridge rather than spend the money on a new propane fridge.
On the bigbattery.com website they say the following"SINCE THESE BATTERIES HOLD A NEAR STEADY 3.2V PER CELL FOR 90% OF THE DISCHARGE ITS IMPORTANT TO HAVE BALANCING IF YOU PLAN ON FULLY CHARGING AND FULLY DISCHARGING"

Questions
1.Given my modest(?) requirements I don't foresee fully discharging the battery so am wondering if I can get by without a BMS.
2.Can I install this battery like a "drop-in" without having to go through a lot of work to adapt it.
3.What would I use to drop the voltage from 24V to 12V
4.Can I use the 12V inverter.

Obviously I'm in the "what if" stage here so I'm not expecting fine details but would like some advice on whether this is practical and/or doable.
Also another reason for wanting to do this is simply because "I can"

Regards
Fred.

watch out of household fridges with auto defrost uses more power vs cooling..... just buy the engel kit convert your propane to it. or buy the prebuilt units
www.engelcoolers.com you will have it for the rest of your life.

You would want a 24v inverter for byd's, 24-12 converts are cheap and easy to source but you could also keep that 12v without converter since your loads are just lights and fans.

Back