diy solar

diy solar

Using a Multi-tester rated for 5000v to test electric fencing

AgroVenturesPeru

Can you use a multi-tester rated for 5000v to test the voltage pulse of electric wire livestock fencing that outputs more than 5000V? Say 8000v? Or does anything more than 5000V destroy the multi-tester?

Odd, if I grab the electric fence while it's not pulsing and then it pulses before releasing, it doesn't hurt much, but if I grab it while it is pulsing ... yeowch! On a summer night with a lot of dew you can see it arcing to the wet grass, but I got nothing about the multimeter as a errant placed body part was enough to tell if the fence was working. NEVER, under any circumstances, no matter how much some one dares you, NEVER relieve yourself on an electric fence.

NEVER, under any circumstances, no matter how much some one dares you, NEVER relieve yourself on an electric fence.
Awww, and here I was going to suggest that’s a good way to see if there is voltage in the line… ?

You can get one of this tester:
The reason I asked the original question is because I already own a multi-tester, but it's only rated for 5000v. It would be a bummer to have to buy another piece of equipment just to measure the 6000-8000v pulse.

What are you looking to find out?
Does it matter if the fence is 5kv or 8kv?
I thought it just mattered if it was working...

You can hold a piece of green grass in your hand with it also touching the fence to test without zapping yourself or frying the meter. The green grass/straw acts as a high value resistor to drop the voltage reaching your hand.

Adolescent me tip: start with a long piece and choke up to test. Don't think the 2" long piece of grass is going to provide the same protection.

I've heard about doing the grass test. I good meter would be good to identify if there are small grounds happening somewhere that are reducing the output towards a far end of the fence line or somewhere out there.

Back