diy solar

diy solar

EBC-40L only worked for 20 seconds?

NorthTown2022

I've got two 280ah cells that were left for a year at a high SOC. Last night I hooked up this EB tester for the first time and was able to start discharging one of the cells using the 'Single Test'. I let it go at 20A for 20 or 30 seconds. I was satisfied this thing works so I stopped it and shut the EB tester off then disconnected the cables with the intention of doing my first capacity test this morning.

So this morning after booting up the EB software and connecting the tester I loaded the saved batch parameters I prepared the night before. I hooked up the 10awg cables and clamps to the appropriate positive and negative terminals (and double checked that). Also the voltage leads are to the cell terminals as well. After pressing the start button the fan starts up and stops instantly. The software keeps running but the charger does nothing.

There is a red blinking box beside the connect/disconnect button which I'm not sure if that means there is some kind of communication error or if this means its connected?
I think this means there is a data connection.
EBC40L DISCONNECT RED LIGHT.png

I've tried two other USB posts on the laptop with same results and also the wife's laptop with same results. I took the PC cable (round plug) apart hoping to find a broken or shorted wire as there is essentially NO strain relief on the cable but it looks fine.

I hooked up cell#2 same results.

I tried a resistance test which also seems to fail without results but the fan does stay on for ~1 second.

Here are my batch settings (have also tried 'Single Test' charging and discharging at various amperages down to 0.01A and it still does nothing):

EBC40L FAILED PARAMETERS.png

I tried several reboots of both PC and EB tester, uninstalled the driver and the software and reinstalled both, tried it and same results. With almost nothing left to try I tried updating the firmware (which was already current) which also made no difference.

EBC40L UPDATING.png
I read someone had trouble with a board but this thing literally worked fine last night for 20 seconds before i turned it off. I reached out to the vendor so I guess I will see about that.

Anyone got any more ideas or experience this type of issue?

**edit - after figuring out how to use the control panel on the front of the tester I eliminated the PC connection all together but the problem is still there.

Last edited:
If you have disconnected from the PC, and it still doesn't work from the front panel/interface, then I'm afraid it might be dead. Can you reach out to who you purchased it from?

If you have disconnected from the PC, and it still doesn't work from the front panel/interface, then I'm afraid it might be dead. Can you reach out to who you purchased it from?
Yep done that. I've been in contact with vendor but communication is slow, I'm told because of the Chinese New Year. I'll report back with the outcome.

Check the voltage sense connections. If there is an intermittent open connection the EB40 will think cell is below cutoff voltage. EB40 should have a cell voltage readout indicating a good voltage sense connection.

Check the voltage sense connections. If there is an intermittent open connection the EB40 will think cell is below cutoff voltage. EB40 should have a cell voltage readout indicating a good voltage sense connection.
I had the v-sense cables hooked directly to the threaded terminals which seemed to have a good connection. Also, I believe cell voltage was displayed on the EB40. I'll confirm the connections and reading.

Just a little update on this.

Once the unit was apart it was pretty clear that the unit had been dropped. The power supply was bent sideways but it tested ok anyway. There were many little tests to follow and the whole process took well over a month but they finally agreed to ship a new unit. Never did pin the problem (nor do I really care at this point) but the new one showed up last week and it's working just fine :)

There was a LOT of lag at times in communication over WhatsApp trying to troubleshoot with an engineer through my sales person (Annie Xu at Vapcell). She has been good to deal with and reasonably responsive herself so far. There's still a bit of back and forth over a JK BMS I purchased that don't have heat but that's another thread. LOL

Back