diy solar

diy solar

Victron 100/20 Under Performing in a 6S Battery (24V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzRVwSolar

We have two 100/20 MPPTs dedicated to two 375W LG Panels. In other words, each panel has a dedicated MPPT. Also in the system is a custom 6S battery with nominal high voltage for around 24ish volts. We operate between low of 20 and high of 24. There is an inverter as well in the system. We are not seeing the expected production.

A solar tester was use to verify that the panels are meeting spec. They appear to be. Even called manufacturer to confirm the numbers the tester was saying because it was a bit lower than rated. However, their explanation was plausible and within limits of the solar tester. At mid day, the tester was showing 350W at the point where the wire feeds the MPPT. This accounts for any line loss from panel to MPPT. (In fact, this how we discovered that 8AWG wire was not 8AWG but 10AWG). But that discounted, the MPPT is still not performing any where close to the tested 330 - 350W.

On the other hand both MPPTs are way under performing what the solar tester shows. Instead of getting the 350W - 330W, the tester says (tested using the same wire that is going into the MPPTs), the two Victron MPPTs always max out at 290W (each).

At first, we though there was some kind of load balance going on or some kind of interference between the two MPPTs. We removed one MPPT out of the system. And ran everything with just one Solar and one MPPT. Same thing. The MPPT is maxing out at 290W.

Upon checking the specs and manuals, I noticed that the max rating for one of these (100/20) is 290W. I also noticed that this was for a 14.5V battery, which Victron calls 12V. And what Victron calls 24V specs is actually for a 29V battery. Thus the 24V of our battery falls far short of the Victron expecting a 29V, as their nominal 24V.

Our thinking now is that the MPPT despite being told behave as 24, is still going with 12V and limiting to max of 290W. The gap between 29V and 24V is too big for the Victorn 100/20. So, it is automatically downshifting to 12V (14.5V) and limiting to 290W max.

Any flaws or alternatives? Has anyone encountered this? What solution?

I will get a screen shots of the settings. It was set to 24V. However, the Solar Tester says available to it is 330W - 350W (mid day). The MPPT is only producing 270 - 290W. There is a discrepancy between the 330W - 350W the tester reports and the production sent to the battery. However, if this were a 12v - 14.5v system, it would make sense. That's why I noticed that Victron world 24V is actually 29V (not real world 24V).

Here is how you know besides the forum talks. If you look at the Victron spec for the 100/20, it says it has max rating of 290W. If you assume that means at 20A (the second number), then the only way 290W is possible is if it assumes operation is 14.5V (not 12.5 V). Likewise, 100/20 spec says it produce max is 580W at 20A. Again, do the math, this would be system of 29V (20A*29V = 580W). The MPPT sees there is a gap of at least 5V between it's nominal 24V (29V) and the battery at (20V - 24V) and decides this is not a "true" 24V system. So it reverts to 290W.

So you are right to suspect the settings. And I agree. I just can't find the mistake. I'm hoping that is where the problem is. But short of that, this another time when Victorn voltage use of 14.5V (for 12V) and 29V (for 24V) has bite me in the butt.

So you are right to suspect the settings. And I agree. I just can't find the mistake. I'm hoping that is where the problem is. But short of that, this another time when Victorn voltage use of 14.5V (for 12V) and 29V (for 24V) has bite me in the butt.
to me its the 6s battery which bit you in the butt....

to me a 6s battery is more like a 18v battery(nominal)

Last edited:
All these voltage numbers are voltage classes. You have to do a lot of research, and it's not a Victron-only problem.

And even in 48V there is both the most common standard of 16s LFPs, and the occasional set up as 15s.

Is 6s standard build? I would have thought 8s would be standard given that 48V off-the-shelf are predominantly 16s.

It is surprising that the charge controller is dropping to a 12V current limit when in the middle, I'd suggest contacting Victron or going on their forum. Also dive into what advanced settings you have available to customize the charge curve. Maybe it's as simple as overriding the CC setting that it automatically picked for you.

Last edited:
A solar tester was use to verify that the panels are meeting spec. They appear to be. Even called manufacturer to confirm the numbers the tester was saying because it was a bit lower than rated. However, their explanation was plausible and within limits of the solar tester. At mid day, the tester was showing 350W at the point where the wire feeds the MPPT. This accounts for any line loss from panel to MPPT. (In fact, this how we discovered that 8AWG wire was not 8AWG but 10AWG). But that discounted, the MPPT is still not performing any where close to the tested 330 - 350W.

On the other hand both MPPTs are way under performing what the solar tester shows. Instead of getting the 350W - 330W, the tester says (tested using the same wire that is going into the MPPTs), the two Victron MPPTs always max out at 290W (each).

What is your solar tester?

My understanding is that a Victron will auto detect battery voltage at first power on. After that, it won't try to "renegotiate" the battery voltage. You'll need to use Victron connect to manually set it to 24V (if it did indeed default to 12V). If it's a smart unit then nothing else to buy, if a blue then you'll need the ve direct to Bluetooth dongle.

Yes. It is manually set to 24V. However, because it is a 6S some of the charge parameters have been reduced accordingly. But your point is well taken. I will upload the all current settings shortly.

Yes. It is manually set to 24V. However, because it is a 6S some of the charge parameters have been reduced accordingly. But your point is well taken. I will upload the all current settings shortly.
You do have the ability to change the settings, in 24v you can set absorption to 34.78v if you wish.

For us 34.78v would not be safe. This is a custom 6S battery with max battery voltage of 25V. We run between 20 (LV cut off for the inverter) and 24V for max. This is well below the tolerances of the battery build. For 6S, we are told don't do more than 24 - 24.5V. But for grins, we may try out what you suggest just to test and see if that changes how much watts the MPPT is willing to produce.

For us 34.78v would not be safe. This is a custom 6S battery with max battery voltage of 25V. We run between 20 (LV cut off for the inverter) and 24V for max. This is well below the tolerances of the battery build. For 6S, we are told don't do more than 24 - 24.5V. But for grins, we may try out what you suggest just to test and see if that changes how much watts the MPPT is willing to produce.
I think he was talking about theoretical capabilities of the charger not that you should try 34.78V

What is your solar tester?
We have a FROG 800W tester. It's decent enough. We checked with the Solar manufacture that it was acceptable for testing. The person we spoke to had no issue with what it was reporting or questions about it's quality. All it does it track voltage and current and report the mppt voltage and mppt current for the best solar wattage and then report that number.

We removed the positive/negative from the MPPT and attached it to the Solar Tester. It reported 330W to 350W. In the mean while the MPPT next to it was producing around 280 - 290W. Both panels are stilling right beside each other and the tests were done mid day. We tried the same test swapping roles, and again the Solar Tester reported numbers in the 330W to 350W range on the sister solar panel. While the MPPT that was now connected was reporting numbers of 270 - 290W.

Something, somehow is telling these MPPTs not to exceed their 12V rated max as opposed to giving what it should do. However, note the amps it is showing going to the battery is well below the 20A rating.

Since these are "smart" and there is all kind of communication going on, we decided to turn off the one MPPT entirely. "Rebooted" everyone -- the mppt, the multiplus, the cerbo, shunt. Restarted. And again the MPPT was limiting to below 290W.

I experienced the same issue with this Victron. Only able to get 290w out of it.

Why in the world is it called a 100/20.
That’s just bullshit. At 100v and 20a that would suggest you could put upto 2000 watts on this charger.

290 watts is the limit on this overpriced basement level charger

I experienced the same issue with this Victron. Only able to get 290w out of it.

Why in the world is it called a 100/20.
That’s just bullshit. At 100v and 20a that would suggest you could put upto 2000 watts on this charger.

290 watts is the limit on this overpriced basement level charger
Now that's a bit of a misnomer. When victron says 100/20, they mean the maximum voltage the unit will can handle coming in. The 20 is the maximum amp the mppt can send to the battery. In order to "puff" max wattage performance, they use their "nominal" 14.5 and 29V (not typical 12V and 24V) to report their mppt can do 290W and 580W, respectively. Now, there is a bit of a marketing spin going on in my book.

I know due diligence was done with the solar tester but that’s a good point at expecting better than 290W out of 375 in a wide range of conditions

Maybe 2S or 2P those panels and see what happens on one. 2S should require minimal extra stuff, while 2P requires Y cable or combiner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back