diy solar

diy solar

Victron 100/20 smart solar

but looks like there is no solution to really use this MPPT with a 48V battery charging at 58V.
There are few, actually.

Victron 100/20

1. With a minimum of 4 100W EcoFlow rigid solar panels in series. Up to 4s3p array configuration, well within SCC Voc and Isc limits.

On a more experimental side, 5s strings are a possibility in hot summer period. Not recommended!

There are few other 100W panels that can be used.

2. 3x 400W SunPower Maxeon 3 panels in parallel.

100/20 is a beast!

For even better performance @ 48V use bigger SCC with 150V+ Voc limit.

Last edited:
There are few, actually.

Victron 100/20

1. With a minimum of 4 100W EcoFlow rigid solar panels in series. Up to 4s3p array configuration, well within SCC Voc and Isc limits.

On a more experimental side, 5s strings are a possibility in hot summer period. Not recommended!

There are few other 100W panels that can be used.

2. 3x 400W SunPower Maxeon 3 panels in parallel.

100/20 is a beast!

For even better performance @ 48V use bigger SCC with 150V+ Voc limit.
Yes, now that I have learned a bit more I should have spent a bit more $$$ and done a 150v/30a or even larger to have more panel options. The Victron MPPT 100v/20a is my "starting to learn" kit and I have already learned a lot. I will still use it forever to charge the golf cart once I get things setup, and even after we have solar for the house. Thanks for the detail on your panels. Knowing the exact model panels you used is very helpful. Thanks so much

Can you tell me the brand and model of your 2 in series 72 Cell arrays? I am struggling to get the tools to give me options even for decent 12V performance, and the webtool won't give back anything for 48V battery using MPPT 100/20

not off the top of my head, they're on my roof. They are just the usual run of the mill 175-190watters that were popular in 1.5kw kits about 10yrs ago, all 2nd hand 1600*808mm

If you are in Tennessee and are in need of a 48v controller, i suggest a 150v option as a minimum. As eggo has said it's challenging to charge 48v with a 100v controller if it gets below freezing.

I hooked 3s36cell array to a 100/20 in a 48v system and it made so little power it was laughable.

not off the top of my head, they're on my roof. They are just the usual run of the mill 175-190watters that were popular in 1.5kw kits about 10yrs ago, all 2nd hand 1600*808mm

If you are in Tennessee and are in need of a 48v controller, i suggest a 150v option as a minimum. As eggo has said it's challenging to charge 48v with a 100v controller if it gets below freezing.

I hooked 3s36cell array to a 100/20 in a 48v system and it made so little power it was laughable.
Yes, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I should have bought Victron 150v/20A instead.
The panels are SCHUCO MPE 220 PS 09 220W
VMPP 220W
IMPP 7.38A
Voc 36.8V
Isc 8.12 A

The Victron Spreadsheet app says I can do 2s2p and have a "workable" 48v configuration. If I use Victron WEB APP no configuration works for 48v
I also have our 12V RV at the property so I my just "pay my dues" and use the 100/20 MPPT for RV only, and get 150/20 MPPT for the golf cart. The used panels were just $35 (including Tax) and today when the sun was out for 2-3 minutes I got 33V and 3A when cloudy and 8+ Amps with the sun out and sometimes hit 10A on my Fluke Meter.

My best guess on the 48V problem is this :

Your 48V nominal battery will be over 56V while charging.

At max temp your 3s panels will put out a minimum PV voltage of 51.8V if I’m reading your results correctly.

I believe the Victron needs to see 5V over charging voltage to function correctly.

Perhaps it will work at lower temperatures but certainly not at the max temperature calculation.

That would be the problem, right ?
Yes, it's the problem.... I primarily need it for the 12V RV battery, so I guess, money not totally wasted... I just would have liked to be able to move it back and forth from RV to Golf Cart. At this point it looks like I will be researching my MPPT options with 150V or more head room maybe even 250V at the top.

Yes, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion I should have bought Victron 150v/20A instead.
The panels are SCHUCO MPE 220 PS 09 220W
VMPP 220W
IMPP 7.38A
Voc 36.8V
Isc 8.12 A

The Victron Spreadsheet app says I can do 2s2p and have a "workable" 48v configuration. If I use Victron WEB APP no configuration works for 48v
I also have our 12V RV at the property so I my just "pay my dues" and use the 100/20 MPPT for RV only, and get 150/20 MPPT for the golf cart. The used panels were just $35 (including Tax) and today when the sun was out for 2-3 minutes I got 33V and 3A when cloudy and 8+ Amps with the sun out and sometimes hit 10A on my Fluke Meter.

2s2p might be workable with those panels, I'd give it a go. I estimate 91-92voc at lowest recorded Tennessee temps (using a factor of 1.25x) ;)

I estimate some power loss in warmer months as PV voltage decreases, but then you've got longer days to make up for it.

Trial and observation is sometimes the best teacher.

Last edited:
Back