diy solar

diy solar

Using the charging MOSFET to stop my solar charger from toping up my battery

Skari

I have bin using the charging MOSFET to stop my solar charger from toping up my battery when I am not on the move, there is only some minor draw from the battery during the night when there is no solar power, is this ok or is this bad for the BMS (MOSFET)? (JBD Smart BMS 4S Lifepo4 200A)

I have bin using the charging MOSFET to stop my solar charger from toping up my battery when I am not on the move, there is only some minor draw from the battery during the night when there is no solar power, is this ok or is this bad for the BMS (MOSFET)? (JBD Smart BMS 4S Lifepo4 200A)

BMS are safety devices. They should not be used for routine charge/discharge terminations.

Your equipment should be programmed INSIDE the BMS operational limits with the BMS sitting at the cell voltage limits ready to engage protection when something gets out of whack.

Last edited:
that's all ok but the question was if it is harmfull for the MOSFET (BMS) non of the parameters are changed I just turn off the charging MOSFET manually to protect the battery from the solar panel controller ramping up with full charge every day,

Last edited:
that's all ok but the question was if it is harmfull for the MOSFET (BMS)

And I answered that question. It is when used to terminate charging/discharging.

non of the parameters are changed I just turn off the charging MOSFET manually to protect the battery from the solar panel controller ramping up with full charge every day,

This is new information and would have only slightly changed the answer. If you do this when no charge is incoming, it should be no problem. If it is used to interrupt current, it's not a good idea.

Still better to alter your charge parameters. The fussing you do with it is likely to cause more problems rather than just let it run normally.

that's all ok but the question was if it is harmfull for the MOSFET (BMS) non of the parameters are changed I just turn off the charging MOSFET manually to protect the battery from the solar panel controller ramping up with full charge every day,
No , with caveat.

If your concern is that a Li battery lifespan is reduced slightly from being kept absolutely full, 100% of the time, then the solution is easy.

Just keep a small load on all of the time. Example, LED light, refrigerator, fan, inverter, etc.

The solar might fully charge the battery, but it won't stay that way for more than a few hours per day.

There is nothing wrong with having a small amount of cycling going on with your power system - my theory is that once you turn on a power system in a vehicle - just keep it on running normally all of the time. That way you will know that it will work when you really need it.

Back