diy solar

diy solar

Van Electrical System Without An Inverter

shrekqween

Hello everyone!
I made a post the other day on Reddit about some electrical questions and a few people suggested to me to make a system without an inverter. At first, I thought this to be a bad idea, as it would pigeonhole me into a configuration with only (12V) DC capability, but now I can see some benefits.

To give greater context, this is what my system looks like - (if you see anything wrong with this, please highlight it to me). It contains a 12V 200Ah LiFePO4, with a 2000W inverter, 400W solar power capacity, an option for alternator charging.
1673902661747.png

In the box on the right, I have listed some other items that I would need to be charged. For the ones that are highlighted in red, I want to know if there are methods to charging these strictly DC? Would I need to go out and purchase new adapters for them? For instance a laptop, would it be more efficient for it to go strictly DC or is the standard AC charger that it comes with better?

So, to anyone that has gone with a system that does not include an inverter, please share why and if you like the system or if you wish you had an inverter.

Thanks!!

Thats what I suggested in your other thread and I feel it simplifies things, until you need big AC power. Nothing you've noted so far needs big AC power.

I have a 12v adapter charger for my laptop and assume they are available for others, but not sure about yours.
I looked into 12v chargers for my 20v dewalt power tools and decided it was cheaper and easier to use the 110v chargers and a small portable inverter for that. I theorized that it could also be used for other small uses. Your mileage may vary depending on tools and usage....

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
I made a post the other day on Reddit about some electrical questions and a few people suggested to me to make a system without an inverter. At first, I thought this to be a bad idea, as it would pigeonhole me into a configuration with only (12V) DC capability, but now I can see some benefits.

To give greater context, this is what my system looks like - (if you see anything wrong with this, please highlight it to me). It contains a 12V 200Ah LiFePO4, with a 2000W inverter, 400W solar power capacity, an option for alternator charging.
View attachment 129964

In the box on the right, I have listed some other items that I would need to be charged. For the ones that are highlighted in red, I want to know if there are methods to charging these strictly DC? Would I need to go out and purchase new adapters for them? For instance a laptop, would it be more efficient for it to go strictly DC or is the standard AC charger that it comes with better?

So, to anyone that has gone with a system that does not include an inverter, please share why and if you like the system or if you wish you had an inverter.

Thanks!!
No plans for cooking, or will that be a propane item?
(known for H20 output- bad in a van!).

Appart from my battery being 280Ah that system is identical to my own, even down to the pannel W, in the end as kbeefy found it was cheaper to fit an inverter than to buy the 3 differant 12V power tool chargers i needed (BUT my van is a mobile workshop hense all the tools).
I fitted one with a UPS function so when i'm plugged into shore power it passes power straight through and kicks back in if the shore power drops out but if you dont have shore power (?) thats not a feature you'll need, i do as when on shore power i use an induction hob (i have no gas at all).

Back