diy solar

diy solar

New Van Setup - Advice Needed

downhilltrucker

Hello, I'm moving out of my old van after 6 years and into a brand new hightop Transit. Trying to put together a killer electrical setup but obviously not kill me on the price. Not sure how many solar panels I can fit up top yet, but should have 400-800w of solar up top. I'm trying to keep it all 12v.

Looking for a battery (thinking 460ah Lithium), solar controller that can handle up to 800w, Dc to Dc charger that won't kill my alternator, and an invertor (I'll probably get the Giandel 4000w). And keep these 4 big ticket items under 3500, even cheaper if possible. I have $750 additional budgeted for all my wire, bus boxes, kill switches, and fuses (is this realistic?)

I've used all Renogy and budget stuff in the past with no problems, but the Victron stuff doesn't look that much more expensive and I think could work within my budget (without the victron invertor) but is the Victron stuff that much better? I'm not into monitoring, I just want it to work. With a 460ah battery I should have tons of power. I'm just running a fan, fridge, starlink, and laptop consistently.

I'm torn between going with the Epoch battery vs Litime or Valtrer. I'm in AZ so I don't need heated cells but was thinking a low temp cutoff for charging was still a good idea.

Thanks for any help.

Back