diy solar

diy solar

Camper van

joegambler0

Hi,
I did a full solar install in my last RV. When I do a camper van conversion I want to do it differently.

I want to either use a all in one inverter/charger or a solar generator. With a solar generator I'm guessing I could wire an internal camper plug and connect to rv solar generator plug. But what about 12v fridge and a/c? Do I need to wire in also a step down transformer and will that be inefficent?

As far as the all on one invertor. Doesn't seem like they make good brand ones that are 3K watts and 12v. They seem be either Chinese garbage in the lower power or 5-6K watts and 24 or 48v made more for a house. I do have 48v battery that maybe i can use, but its pretty big and heavy. Would the higher watt all in one invertors be inefficient and also do I need 2 step down transformers for 110 and 12v? Or do you have a good brand to recommend for the all in one 3K watts 12v?

Which setup is best?

Thanks.

A solar generators are ok if they are most the electrical system in the van, that is most things are plugged directly into it. Also they frequently have limited options for solar charging which can make it harder to take advantage of limited roof top space. All in one inverters have a couple of disadvantages as well, they frequently have a higher idle draw then other inverters, which will drain the limited battery capacity of van, also they frequently require high voltages for their PV inputs which can limit flexibility in the solar design.

As you get above 2000watt inverters the current required at 12 volt starts to require very thick and hard to deal with wiring. A 24 or 48 volt system can keep wiring manageable. DC to DC converters are available to power limited 12volt loads, when you have a higher voltage battery.

While not an all in one Victron is a highly recmoned brand for mobile installs.

First thing to consider is an energy audit to determine just what you want to run, and how long you want to run it for to properly size your system.

AIO was not good for my 3 kw inverter in my RV. I preferred individual SCCs, Charger, and inverter. A Victron multiplus would have worked for me, but not the SCCs.

I had 4/0 wire on my inverter for my 12 volt 2 kw inverter, and when I upgraded to 3 kw, I kept the same wiring But went to 24 volts. With the 3 kw inverter, I run it hours on end at 2 kw.

Among a couple reasons is space restraints let me place the 3 components easier than an AIO: Charger, SCC, Inverter. To maximize solar production with the shaded roof, I needed 3 SCCs to run different sets of panels. That would be hard to do with one or two SCCs on a AIO.

I looked at solar generators, but costs are huge and don’t quite hit the space restraints required for a 2 kw for 8hour a day requirement, and 10 kWh of battery requirement to meet that was extremely expensive and bulkier than I wanted, and solar input voltage and amperage limitations to hit that power was very constrained and limited to very few panels, of which the manufacture had some, but at a premium.

Hey @joegambler0

I am not a fan of the “AIO” units for a van, but I guess it depends upon the Pros & Cons for You & Your Use.

I have built a couple of vans & design/built the electrical systems.

Many DIYers buy a battery or AIO & design their system around that. This is bass ackward.

If You identify your needs/wants, then the system can be designed around your loadsas opposed to your loads being designed around your AIO.

IMO the major “Cons” of the “AIO” units are typicall;

1. DC2DC poor charge rate​
  2. Self consuming standby power​
  3. Non-Repairable ( a minor item can brick them ) as opposed to DIY & being able to repair or replace the components if need be.​

2000w @ 12v seems to be the upper limit of that combo. 3000w starts the 24v groupings.
I am all for separates, including a DC to DC charger.

Back