diy solar

diy solar

Some guidance needed.

Caryt

I'm 69 and have built many things in my life but this is all new.
I have a Alu-Cab Canopy camper coming and I'm doing its install. I'm planing ? 200-400W on the roof and 230-460amp of LiFePO4, Looking at Redarc TVMS PRIME, Orion XS 12/12-50A DC-DC, Giandel inverter 3000w and whatever else I need..not 100% sure of anything still learning. No Renogy need apply.
Redarc is expensive but seems to have a good reputation and install with available panel kits make for a easy install.

I'm thinking about having a Starlink, small 115v TV, 12v fridge, Small microwave, Propane heater with 12v fan, Propane water heater with 12v pump.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Sounds doable and pretty standard, well larger system than most probably.
1. 400w would be min I'd out on roof. I can fit 900W on my Tune M1. If I was relying on solar.
2. 50A is a lot of draw from alternator. Look at what amperage your car alternator is. You don't want to go over 50 to 60% load on long term standard running, or will burn out alternator. Not sure if Orion has adjustable amperage output. I have spent a bit of time ensuring there is a MAX amp limit when drawing from my 130A tacoma, at like 30A.
3. 3000W inverter is very large for 12v system, right at limits for cable sizes. I have tested most ac devices I'd ever want in my Tune M1 (almost like Alucab except wider and bigger inside and full popup). Induction burner, 1800W. Induction microwave, runs 500 to 900W. Electric kettle. Even a mini split airconditioner doesnt need that, and you can't run one on that battery size. 3000W takes 250A, needs 3/0 or 4/0 cable. That part is oversized IMO for any alucab needs, and ends up driving your system design.
4. Starlink, get the 12v flatmount setup, works fine now with lots of satellites up.
5. Propane heater and water heater, I expect you're looking truma or propex, nice systems.

Nice setup plan ;)

Thanks for replying.
The Gladiator has a 200 amp alternator so a good size. I'll need to check what the Orion can do.., I also need a 30 amp external power ability if I stay at a campground with hookups.
I was hoping to find 1 400 Watt mono-crystalline panel that fits comfortable as I may install a roof fan..TBD. I do have 3 load beams so can handle one I believe.
Ok limit the inverter to 2500w max. I do use very hi quality copper welding cable as I've found its the best and its very reasonable priced. I have tons of hi quality different size terminals for all gauges of wire.
I've got a Starlink on my RV so I'll leave it 115v as I can barrow the system from it for the outings. MH has 1080 amps and a 12kw gen set so never run out of power plus usually plug to 50 amps.
Heater looking at doing a Dickinson P9000 Newport Propane Fireplace.
No idea yet about water..but many with a Alu-Cab use a Eccotemp L5 Hot Water Heater.
I'll fabricate something similar to this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiUtc_mpZCEAxUhh-4BHfzFB7oQ-bAJegQIPBAB&url=https://expeditionessentials.com/products/alu-cab-canopy-camper-shower-mount-acsm-by-expedition-essentials&usg=AOvVaw0h3wQT10-8jReMeUUvilso&opi=89978449

I will be doing 1-7 day over-landing and can carry 13 gal in one vessel and could bring 7 gal more in 2 other containers.
Quick military showers.
I'll have 1 10 gal propane tank but can bring a 20 if needed..
I would do extended stays in the Winter like many as I expect to be doing most traveling solo.

No idea yet on a Toilet may start with a Cleanwaste Pett Toilet I have.

Thanks for replying.
The Gladiator has a 200 amp alternator so a good size. I'll need to check what the Orion can do.., I also need a 30 amp external power ability if I stay at a campground with hookups.
I was hoping to find 1 400 Watt mono-crystalline panel that fits comfortable as I may install a roof fan..TBD. I do have 3 load beams so can handle one I believe.
Ok limit the inverter to 2500w max. I do use very hi quality copper welding cable as I've found its the best and its very reasonable priced. I have tons of hi quality different size terminals for all gauges of wire.
I've got a Starlink on my RV so I'll leave it 115v as I can barrow the system from it for the outings. MH has 1080 amps and a 12kw gen set so never run out of power plus usually plug to 50 amps.
Heater looking at doing a Dickinson P9000 Newport Propane Fireplace.
No idea yet about water..but many with a Alu-Cab use a Eccotemp L5 Hot Water Heater.
I'll fabricate something similar to this:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiUtc_mpZCEAxUhh-4BHfzFB7oQ-bAJegQIPBAB&url=https://expeditionessentials.com/products/alu-cab-canopy-camper-shower-mount-acsm-by-expedition-essentials&usg=AOvVaw0h3wQT10-8jReMeUUvilso&opi=89978449

I will be doing 1-7 day over-landing and can carry 13 gal in one vessel and could bring 7 gal more in 2 other containers.
Quick military showers.
I'll have 1 10 gal propane tank but can bring a 20 if needed..
I would do extended stays in the Winter like many as I expect to be doing most traveling solo.

No idea yet on a Toilet may start with a Cleanwaste Pett Toilet I have.
Ok, glad I can save you a ton of money, listen to this:
NO DICKINSON HEATER! I know you see them all the time on Alucab, but I have like 4 threads or videos now from full time overlanders who are all dissappointed in it, and replacing it with $100diesel heater, because it juat absolutely can not supply enough heat. I know it looks good, I know you're sitting over there thinking it will work for you, but it won't and will be a $3000 waste that a $100 diesel will fix. If you want propane still, then get either the Truma, or Propex. These are both closed combustion systems like a diesel heater, with a separate airflow heat exchanger, producing dry heat. But just waaay better than the Dickinson. All the heat goes out chimney, no airflow, in Dickinson. Truma, Propex, and diesel heaters all the same, just different fuel supply.

Here is an Alucab guy in AZ and Baja this month, bailing on his Dickinson:

Thanks..didn't get a notice you replied. I've been looking at a Propex propane unit it seems better at sipping propane and its got more btu's, CFM has to be more also.

Last edited:
I'm likely going to use a Redarc manager 30 kit TVMS1240 kit02-NA with their 3000w inverter R-12-3000RS-NA soeverything talks to ea other and they are proven for off road abusive. I get a good discount on Redarc so that helps.
Panels..I keep looking but for fitment I keep coming back to the 200w redarc panel SMSP1200, I'll start with 1 and add a additional one is a need.
I ordered a Scanstrut Double Horizontal Cable Seal | DS-HD10-BLK × 1 to enter the Alucab as it didn't have one.

Looking at getting a single LiTime 12V 230Ah Plus Low-Temp Protection Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery, Built-in 200A BMS, seems well regarded for the $.

Going to be ordering in the next few days. Plan on getting the panel mounted while its still on the lift then next weekend install the canopy camper.

Thanks..didn't get a notice you replied. I've been looking at a Propex propane unit it seems better at sipping propane and its got more btu's, CFM has to be more also.

I have installed 4 Propex HS2800.

They are a great furnace. I think they all come with “Digistats” now, but if not you want the “Digistat”.

Back