diy solar

diy solar

Tell me how please

Additionally, the better ones (battery packs that is) from my research are LiFePO4 based, but sans warming technology. I desire ability to function in below freezing temperatures. :)
buy better batteries.... winston allows charge and discharge down to -45... no heater needed. but you pay for that.

buy better batteries.... winston allows charge and discharge down to -45... no heater needed. but you pay for that.
I haven't heard of LifeYPO4 batteries, i.e. Lithium Ion batteries that use iron phosphate as the cathode until you mentioned them, thanks.

They appear quite expensive, of limited commercial availability, and--please correct me if I am wrong, normally sold in sizes far greater than my needs.

I am getting the idea that some of the advantages of a LiFEPO4 battery over an AGM, depite the former's need for warming agents in freezing temperatures, are its greater energy density for size: if so a metric that this dash camera, starter battery trickle charging forum member with such limited power needs is likely to not see much gains from.

To rephrase, with my small requirements weight and size difference between the chemistries seem minimal.

Dear lord…

Anyway…I have a similar system that keeps motorhome starting batteries topped off and ready to go with a 100W panel and controller on two engine starting batteries for a 8.1L gas V8. It could easily power a dash cam.

I like the black frame panels, and renogy makes a super cheap charge controller for lead acid, all in maybe a couple a hundred, and it works just killer.

In hindsight, with a larger lifepo4 house battery I would likely choose a trickle start or similar and forego the solar panel for the starting batteries.
Chris, I don't question that your 100W panel has the capacity to do that you describe. But when you say "it" could easily power a dash camera I'm not sure what power source you refer to...... your starter batteries maybe..? I'm guessing here, quite possibly due to my ignorance, because your starter batteries are a "they," and your solar panel is an "it."

And of course that solar panel can't power the dash camera at night.

Then you reference a LiFEPO4 house battery. Is that your "it" and what powers the camera in your scenario?

And when you say were you to do it again you'd probably just (I think you mean) trickle charge (not start) your starting batteries?

If so I assume you'd introduce shore power to energize that tricke charger that I want to be able to forgoe.

This said, I like the black frame solar panels too...they go well with my black colored top and roof rack.

~~~~

Let me start over. Right now I tricke charge 24/7 from shore power. (Yes, I know trickle charging need not be daily, let alone continual.) I want that around the clock ability to also run a 4.2W @ 12V dash camera without shore power given my 4 season climate, 41 degree longitude and starter batteries whose size is linked in my OP.

It would seem to me--and you can certainly poke at my wishes--that said abilities would come from solar power charging some house battery that has the capacity to run the camera and trickle charge the starter batteries day or night. And yet it has been hard for me to find tech to trickle charge a starter battery from a house battery, especially since the AMP- and TRIK-L-START no longer seem to be manufactured.

Much that I don't wish to make a Rube Goldberg machine out of my vehicle, I'm inclined to buy an inverter and plug in a shore trickle charger to it if I in fact effect this project at all.

I'm sure DC to DC converters can be rigged to work opposite to their normal charging of house battereis from starter when the alternator's running, I just don't know how.

My starter batteries (there are two) are AGM. Thanks anyway.
Not a problem, AGM is a fancy LA battery. This will work LA to LA, AGM to AGM, Gel to Gel or any combo. The problem child would be if the house battery is LifePo4

Not a problem, AGM is a fancy LA battery. This will work LA to LA, AGM to AGM, Gel to Gel or any combo. The problem child would be if the house battery is LifePo4
Sorry. Duh on me. LA..lead acid.

Now that I understand that "LA" stands for lead acid and did/do in fact know that my starter AGM (absorbent glass mat) batteries are merely a type of lead acid battery this device sounds promising.

One fly in the oitment for me it seems is that the house battery only sems to trickle charge the starter at 13.2V, or to restate in so many words, only when the house battery is collecting power from a solar panel. It doesn't trickle charge the starter batteires 24/7 as would be the case with a shore powered trickle charger.

True: starter batteries need not be trickled charged every day let alone continually, but I was trying to emulate with solar and batteries alone, that 24/7 starter battery trickle charging functionality I have now, albeit at the "con" of being tethered to shore power for trickle charging.

Thanks.

I'm gettiing the sense that the Renogy (boo) Rego might permit me "continual" starter battery trickle charging as long as (page 54) https://store-fhnch.mybigcommerce.com/content/RCB1260DO-100506PR/RBC1260DO-12B_UserManual_A0.pdf my house battery is greater than 12.7V and the starter battery is between 12.7V and 13.2V if I do NOT install the smart alternator cable on the device despite my vehicle having a smart alternator.

....The logic of not installing this smart alternator cable despite having a smart alternator being that the starter battery charging logic differs when this smart alterntor cable is installed.

I put the word continual trickle charging in quotes because trickle charging for this unit involves an "on 1 minute off 30 seconds to access" logic....which probably is not unlike continual shore plug tricker chargers being continually energized from shore power, but often not delivering charge to the starter battery when none is needed or doing so in similar "pulses."

The unit lets the charger (MPPT) charge the house battery to 13.2v. Then it splits the mppt voltage to both batteries. If the mppt output is 14.2v then both batteries will charge to that voltage

winston has them from 50 ah up to 10,000 ah and sells them via a subcompany that they support. YMMV so everything from a pack you can carry up to a container sized unit. two sales outlets, one for small use, one for commercial sales. i went through the small customer sales unit. shit was legit. boxed in plywood with foam and all paperwork was legit... you pay for that as they ship it as a battery and not some false capacitor or energy storage etc. etc.. so yo pay for the shipping as a lithium battery. not he fake stuff that all of the vendors on this forum use as an escape to pay hazmat shipping.

Back