diy solar

diy solar

Venting shed for AGM batteries?

fcparks

Hi all,

I have all of my solar equipment in an insulated shed and was wondering if I should have the shed vented for the batteries. I have Kilovault PLC 2100 AGM batteries.

Yes vent your shed with all types of battery is best practice

Although AGM do not gas in normal states, in failure they can gas, definitely need some kind of small vent

Yes vent your shed with all types of battery is best practice

Although AGM do not gas in normal states, in failure they can gas, definitely need some kind of small vent
I have it vented currently with 2x2” holes at the bottom and two at the top but we are burning through propane for our heater really fast. Hoping to somehow reduce the loss of heat.

AGM can offgas Hydrogen like FLA but not as bad fortunately. Any inspector will want to see some form of venting because it applies to Lead Acid batteries in all variants.

Seach EBay/Amazon etc for "Zephyr Power Battery Vent"
They come in 12/24/48V models. Very Low power with a backflow protection to prevent air coming in.
Very easy to setup, uses 2" ABS pipe and comes with an adapter for 1-1.2" pipe.

I used one of these for my FLA Battery Box (required by code) and this was controlled by my Midnite Solar Controller via a relay.

AGM can offgas Hydrogen like FLA but not as bad fortunately. Any inspector will want to see some form of venting because it applies to Lead Acid batteries in all variants.

They come in 12/24/48V models. Very Low power with a backflow protection to prevent air coming in.

I used one of these for my FLA Battery Box (required by code) and this was controlled by my Midnite Solar Controller via a relay.
Oh cool. I have a 48V system and a Midnite classic 250. Could you give me instructions on how to program it to the Midnite.

Oh cool. I have a 48V system and a Midnite classic 250. Could you give me instructions on how to program it to the Midnite.

Also, how may should I install. The shed is only 4x8. Would just one be enough

Easy, a link to the thread on Midnite:

I am 24V, so I used a 24V model and a simple automotive relay connected to Aux-1 and used the fan settings.
I tapped the 24V from the batteries as the Aux-1 can only do 12V and so I used a relay for that. Worked marvy with my Classic-200.

I had built a battery box which it was connected to nd vented outside through a screened port. The "box" was 3'D, 4'H and 4' Wide (housed 8 Rolls 400's).

If you search the Midnite Forum, it is all well covered.

I have it vented currently with 2x2” holes at the bottom and two at the top but we are burning through propane for our heater really fast. Hoping to somehow reduce the loss of heat.

I'd go one hole top, one hole bottom. (Not sure what code says ?? )

AGM batteries are suitable for use at lower temperatures than other types. You might be able to keep the shed a lot cooler than you think?

Check the battery datasheet

Definitely venting a battery box is a better idea than venting a shed.
Ditto on AGM will operate at a MUCH colder temp than a LFP. My old agms survived rv winter storage at -30 with a 50w solar trickle charger

Last edited:
Finally got the fan in. What voltage would be a safe setting for my Kilovault 4X12V AGM batteries? My absorb charge is 56.4V and my float is 54.4V. I asked Kilovault tech support said that I should set it at 56.4V, but a temp setting would be better according to them. They also said that since these are sealed they don’t need to be vented so I’m not sure how much I trust his 56.4 V setting.

once upon a time when I had lead acid batteries , I put them in an air tight box and had two hoses in and out.... one terminated at the bottom of my container and the other at the top. My idea was that when the batteries were warm and off gassing, that would rise and escape out the top hose. Then the bottom hose would draw air in and start a thermosiphon. Here you can see the hose nearer the front goes down and the one in the rear stays up high. The other end of both those hoses went thru a hole in the basement wall above them.

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpeg
    IMG_2086.jpeg
    588.5 KB · Views: 4
Back