diy solar

diy solar

Very pleased with my system

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
My goal was to be able to live normally for a minimum of 3 days with no solar input. Three days wasn't a completely random number, last year while traveling, we had 3 days of heavy cloud cover and almost constant rain/sleet/snow. I struggled with everything, including limited battery capacity, poor charging, generator running over night, it went on and on.

Goal was a system that made it easy for my wife to manage.
600ah battery
1200w solar
MP II 2x

We've been off grid since Sunday at an event. Generators running all around me. Rain since Monday, and this morning we had a deep fog. Battery is down to 57% this morning. We have not made any sacrifices, life is great. Only difference between now and being on grid, I would be running the electric water heater and using electric heat. System was not sized to run aircon, but even that works, for an estimated 5 hours with no solar input.

Well, going into day 5, I finally broke out the generator at 20%. If we weren't leaving today, I'd let it ride. But microwave for breakfast, coffee maker, slides, and jacks would have put a pretty big hit on that remaining 20%. We are still heavy overcast and I'm getting a whopping 100w off of solar :(

nice. give us some details of the system
MP II 2x
600ah battery
1200w solar

I sized it for 3 days with no solar and no AC nor resistance heat. Going into day 5 of heavy cloud cover and rain. I probably would have made it, but one day I turned the fridge to electric, and used up what little I was getting off of solar to run the fridge. Yesterday was supposed to be partly cloudy, and instead it rained most of the day.

Sounds like you did great especially if you got 4 days out of a 3 day setup. Can't complain when you exceed expectations.

Back