diy solar

diy solar

True testing of my system

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
Even after inadvertently leaving the electric hot water heater energized my 600ah and 1200w did very well after 48 hours of normal living. My goal was 72 hours, and it looks like I'm well on my road to success. Decided to let the fridge run off electric, and it uses a lot more watts than I was expecting. We woke up to 38% battery this morning, which isn't bad considering the water heater issue dragged my system down to 75% to start 36 hours earlier. 120v ceiling fan is pulling more electrons than needed. May just use the rigid fan to circulate air a bit better.

We're in full hookup for a few days, in heavily treed site. When plugged into the rear, power goes through the hard wired EMS. 12v is running off of battery and solar. We'll see if the batteries can get charged. If not, I'll plug into the front and let MP manage the whole system, as once we leave here, think I have 72 hours before we get to another full hookup site.

Loving the boon docking and Harvest Host sites.

Even after inadvertently leaving the electric hot water heater energized my 600ah and 1200w did very well after 48 hours of normal living. My goal was 72 hours, and it looks like I'm well on my road to success. Decided to let the fridge run off electric, and it uses a lot more watts than I was expecting. We woke up to 38% battery this morning, which isn't bad considering the water heater issue dragged my system down to 75% to start 36 hours earlier. 120v ceiling fan is pulling more electrons than needed. May just use the rigid fan to circulate air a bit better.

We're in full hookup for a few days, in heavily treed site. When plugged into the rear, power goes through the hard wired EMS. 12v is running off of battery and solar. We'll see if the batteries can get charged. If not, I'll plug into the front and let MP manage the whole system, as once we leave here, think I have 72 hours before we get to another full hookup site.

Loving the boon docking and Harvest Host sites.

Absorption fridges are ugly on AC power.

Ceiling fans are only good for fixed dwellings. They offset the use of A/C, and in comparison, they don't use much energy; however, when treated like they are in a home (usually just left on), they become a big hole of suck to an off-grid system.

Absorption fridges are ugly on AC power.

Ceiling fans are only good for fixed dwellings. They offset the use of A/C, and in comparison, they don't use much energy; however, when treated like they are in a home (usually just left on), they become a big hole of suck to an off-grid system.
Thanks to the insistent use of "flexible" duct for the furnace, the flow is ridiculously low in the bedroom. Ceiling fan helps move the air throughout the 5th wheel. It's not a big energy use, but it's not insignificant.

I did have to go to 120v on the fridge, the wind was blowing so hard, propane kept getting blown out. How bad was the wind??? It was so bad the bike cover that has survived thousands of miles without issue, was literally ripped off the bikes and blown up against a nearby structure. Dirt made it inside cupboards. These were literally hurricane level winds for several hours. I had a choice, turn the trailer broadside to the wind so I could put out the slide, or leave it head on, which would have been a better overall solution, but slides had to stay in. Given the amount of dirt we're dealing with, head on would have been a much better decision.

Back