diy solar

diy solar

Victron 100/30 with a power supply - verification

msitarzewski

The charger is 29.2v @ 20a - I’d set the max output of the 100/30 to 24.4v @ 20a for my use case which is lower than the max output of the power supply. This should be fine from what I’ve read. Any further thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:
Should work, but in the manuals SCC manuals will say to only hook input to solar panels. I don’t like going against a manual unless I can accept total loss of equipment.

Also, IIRC the Victron MPPT’s want a 5 V delta between power source Voltage and battery Voltage so you’re just a tad short there.

Thanks for the replies. It seems like I could move up to a 48v charger and solve the differential voltage problem. It takes up to 100 in.

Looks like it's working fine! This is a 54.6V 8A Charger capped at 24.4v at 17 amps. No weird beeps and nothing have given up the magical mythical smoke (yet). I'm only going to use this as a backup on cloudy days while near a power outlet. 1697047504178.png

Gotcha. 24.4V is atypical round these here parts.

What BMS?
Home built. Charge temp controls through an external temperature sensor with a BP65 (used as a switch, really). Charging is disabled under 40° and resumes at 44°. Discharge protection is with the BP 220 (@ 19.0v).

Familiar with that monitor. As I recall it only pulls power from the first two cells. If it's left sitting or doesn't run the balance function, it will take the cells out of balance after an extended period.

Does the 057 board have a control relay or something to disconnect the battery?

Familiar with that monitor. As I recall it only pulls power from the first two cells. If it's left sitting or doesn't run the balance function, it will take the cells out of balance after an extended period.

Does the 057 board have a control relay or something to disconnect the battery?
This is where I picked them up: https://057tech.com/products/battery_modules What are you using as a BMS?

I ordered two today. Will let you know.
Have no familiarity/experience with it, but I would expect it to not suck. :)
Reporting back. The Overkill Solar Tesla BMS was super simple to install. I have the "rev c" boards. Interestingly the BMS' temperature sensors are glued in, so I can't use the pack's built in sensors without some "tweaking." Getting the second pack up to full, then lighting them both up... probably tomorrow.

Have no familiarity/experience with it, but I would expect it to not suck. :)
Here are the settings from the app... these are defaults from Overkill, but they're not exactly what I'm used to. The Cell Full is 24.582 and the min is 18.342. Unless my math is off. The Victron equipment is set to 24.4 and 19.2 respectively. That's a little weird, but I do trust OKS and it is a BMS. What do you think?

1706562847946.png

Back