diy solar

diy solar

Victron 24/1200 DIY Solar Generator plus Victron 20-25% off tip.

mccollums

I have decided to NOT take the easy way out and build a solar generator. The cost will be similar to competing Anker, Bluetti, and Ecoflow products (2000ish watts power (stored).

Here's what I have purchased so far.

Victron 24/1200 Phoenix LF inverter. (24/1200 volt amps, 2200 watts maximum)
Victron Smart Solar 75/15
Victron Smart batter sense
Victron Bluetooth smart dongle
Victron MEGA fuse holder
Total: 544$ with tax.

All above parts were purchased from Zoro with a 25% coupon. Victron components do not seem to be promotion protected. Make sure to filter out the InvertersRUs products sold on Zoro, all their Victron components are way overpriced. I don't think they carry their whole catalog, but def made this build more practical from a pricing perspective. I wanted to go high quality or not do this at all... and I just couldn't trust the offerings from other inverter companies.

Questions about the diagram below. This seems to be overbuilt - and would like to discuss this type of setup compared to the smaller DIY generators that just use breakers. The RoyPow battery I have picked out is for a floor cleaning machine, so it's high output is what's convincing to go with a fast acting Tfuse at 110amps. (It's also heated and has a battery monitor LED) The inverter should never pull more than 91amps if it gets a 2200 watt surge. Really shouldn't be any scenario where I pull 100 amps.

1.) Should the DC isolator come before or after the tfuse, or does it matter? Read to put fuse for the battery wire as close to the battery as possible.
2.). Since the Victron is really more like a 1000watt inverter, how much overkill is this setup?
3.) Planning on buying the 300a busbars from current connected. Overkill, but decent deal for the money (shipping hurts a little from CC though) I also like the b. 3/8 connectors if I decide to go with the 2/4 AWG wiring.
4.). I'm rating the wiring on the max output of the inverter - not continuous, is this the standard or the reason it's overbulit?

**charge controller and neg wiring are coming later in my research
**length of wire will be minimal, probably a toolbox or hand truck type build.

1686610308600.png

Last edited:
Other quick note.

I am planning on expanding this in the future.

I have 2 Bouge RV 180Watt panels and plan on purchasing 2 more, another Smart Solar 75/15, and another RoyPow battery (assuming that RoyPow battery can be daisy chained)

Maybe it's changed since you wrote this, but I just checked out Victron products on the Zoro website and all I can say is what a joke. EVERYTHING Victron, by both sellers there is way overpriced. For example, the BMV-712 battery monitor is listed for $343 on Zoro. Even with the 25% coupon you said you have, that would still be $258. It's $193 on Amazon and I think similar on ebay. I have bought from InvertersRus through their ebay store and paid way less and their customer service has been awesome. No gimmick of a coupon, no inflated prices. I can only imagine that Zoro must be charging a high commission to sell through their platform. Hard pass for me. Maybe the prices for both sellers "InvertersRus" and "Victron Energy" on Zoro have gone up since you purchased.

Back