diy solar

diy solar

Victron accessories to monitor system

48Rob

I am starting my system with a Victron 250/85.

As I understand it, I need to use the Victron smart shunt in order to monitor the system via Bluetooth on my phone, or using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT Control Display that mounts in the face of the controller.

Do I need any other “devices” to make this work?

Also, future planned upgrades include adding more panels, and a second 250/85

Will the system be able to monitor each MPPT separately, or will it combine info from the different panel and controller systems?

The shunt will give you a total overview of your system. Including SOC, battery voltage. Total power in and out. That mppt has Bluetooth built in and will be able to connect seperately to your phone to give you information about your solar production like how much power your panels are producing, as well as make adjustments to your charge parameters.

You may want to add a cerbo gx which will allow you to monitor the system as a whole on the VRM which is an online portal that combines all of your victron devices information into a clean easy to understand format.

If you only want to monitor the 250/85 you can do that through bluetooth ... nothing else required. If you want to monitor power in and out of the batteries, you would use a shunt.

I find monitoring my Victron system with a shunt and the Smart Solar SCC on the Victron Connect App a necessity.

Would be nice if my Inverter was able to provide data, but it doesn’t.

With the shunt I see how long my batteries will last and if they are charging or not. With the SCC, I can see how much is going into the batteries.

If you only want to monitor the 250/85 you can do that through bluetooth ... nothing else required. If you want to monitor power in and out of the batteries, you would use a shunt.

With two individual controllers and panels strings, the bluetooth will show each system separately?

So I do not need the Victron shunt to monitor the controller(s) any shunt with a display would work to monitor in/out power of the batteries?
but if I want to monitor everything as a whole system, then the cerbo GX is best if all components are Victron?

I ask as I already have a Renogy shunt/monitor.

With two individual controllers and panels strings, the bluetooth will show each system separately?

So I do not need the Victron shunt to monitor the controller(s) any shunt with a display would work to monitor in/out power of the batteries?
but if I want to monitor everything as a whole system, then the cerbo GX is best if all components are Victron?

I ask as I already have a Renogy shunt/monitor.
Correct. You would just connect individually to each mppt via BT on the victron connect app to view each controllers stats and also to adjust their parameters.

However, you may want to pay the additional cost to switch to a Victron shunt for its added benefits. It would allow you to link the shunt to your victron MPPT controllers and share the battery voltage from the shunt to the controllers to ensure all devices are charging off the same battery voltage reference point. This can also be achieved using a Victron smart battery sense which is about 1/3 the cost of a new shunt.

The cerbo gx also gives you online capabilities to view your solar information remotely online, as long as you have an internet connection available where your devices are.

i’m going to add the Smart Sense to my Victron shunt monitoring as apparently it further optimizes the solar charge control regarding temperature of the battery. the Smart Sense also displays in the victron app. (im already using both monitoring ports for battery voltages)

I would agree to ditch the Renogy shunt in favor of the Victron shunt. you might be able to recover a couple of bucks selling it.

Last edited:
I currently have a 150/85 and 250/85. I use the smart battery sense for bat temp and voltage sense. I wish I was closer to my charge controllers. Where I am normally in the house is to far away to get the signal to check out the system on the victron connect app. I am sure the cerbo would enable this, but it seems pricey for just being able to view the solar system from 80' away.

Thank you all, the information provided is very helpful!

So if I buy a smart shunt/BMV712; for around $130, it comes with the ability to monitor battery temperature via the add on sensor at around $31

And if I buy the smart sense at around $40, it will measure voltage and battery temperature, but not give me the extra detail as the smart shunt will?

The Cerbo GX comes in at $320 and still needs the $31 temp sensor right? Looks like the best option for my small system is the smart shunt and temp sensor.

I don’t have a running system but working on a victron setup.

What i read said the cerbo gx will let multiple smart scc’s synch up. Its the brainbox.

So if I buy a smart shunt/BMV712; for around $130, it comes with the ability to monitor battery temperature via the add on sensor at around $31

And if I buy the smart sense at around $40, it will measure voltage and battery temperature, but not give me the extra detail as the smart shunt will?

The Cerbo GX comes in at $320 and still needs the $31 temp sensor right? Looks like the best option for my small system is the smart shunt and temp sensor.
Generally yes. Some 712 may come with a temp sensor.

I was surprised to see my Victron shunt came with a temperature sensor, so no ned to purchase one in my case. I did not read the fine print. ?

Thank you all, the information provided is very helpful!

V smart shunt is $130
V bmv712 is $180 (monitor, includes shunt)

i dont recall if the 712 comes with a temp lead. ?

V smart shunt is $130
V bmv712 is $180 (monitor, includes shunt)

Critical distinction...I missed that. Thanks again to all. I am on the right path now :)

I just switched from a $30 shunt to the Victron smartshunt.

I realize the cheap one was well, cheap. But the bolts it came with were from a reject bin someplace and the readings were about 1v off compared to my Fluke. Which means everything else was off. It had some calibration menus, but even after setting the correct battery type the capacity indicated was way off.

The victron was spot on for the voltage and it picked up my battery right off on its own. I am using the shunt with a victron 1200w 12v inverter and a LiTime 12v 200ah plus battery (the 'plus' means it has a 200a BMS verse the standard 100ah). The purpose is a battery backup for my cpap at night. In fact I am thinking of getting a couple of solar panels to charge the battery and use the cpap off-grid.

The little UPS setup is to gain experience for doing solar next summer.

For my inverter I bought the bluetooth dongle and used that to connect to it. Interesting point, when I connect the dongle to the shunt I could see the inverter and it gives me the option of signing into VRM. The inverter is a VE.direct product but it doesn't show in the victron bluetooth app unless I have a dongle plugged in. The funny thing is the dongle can be plugged into the shunt or the inverter and it shows them to me so there must be communication over the battery cable or victron is using some other single to do victron direct. I haven't researched it yet so I may be way off, all I have is my direct observations.

I got the inverter and dongle from current connected because of everything I've read about their support. The prices were the same as amazon but they charge shipping. I got the smartshunt from Amazon because it was easier and I was ordering other things. The shipping from Current connected seems to be about what it would actually cost to mail something so it isn't outragous.

Thank you for all the detail.
I'm going to buy the smart shunt with the accessory display. Tell me more about why you want to monitor the inverter. Will yours be running all the time? In my system, the inverter will not see much use.

Thank you for all the detail.
I'm going to buy the smart shunt with the accessory display. Tell me more about why you want to monitor the inverter. Will yours be running all the time? In my system, the inverter will not see much use.
I plan to run the inverter all the time and drain the battery down to 50% or so, then charge it up to full and repeat. My load should be about 150w drawn at night... 120w for the O2 concentrator and between 15w and 80w for the pap machine. The pap machine has a heated hose and heated water tank, but they have temp sensors built in and cycle on and off as needed. I expect the actual draw on the pap can be treated as about 30watts. The concentrator draws a solid 120w when using the DC converter.

I also bought the Experpower 2000w inverter/charger. It does charge at 40amps so that is good and it seems to be pretty solid and well engineered. But, my Boss lady (wife) said in no uncertain terms it was not allowed in the bedroom.

So I switched to the phoenix power victron inverter, smart shunt, and a little fanless 10amp charger from ECO-Worthy. For my expected load the inverter is near silent and the charger is silent. I could just leave the charger hooked up all the time, but I want to actually cycle the battery and see. The reason I don't want to go below 50% on the battery is because that would be the time my power would go out. And when the power goes out if it is an extended time I'd like to be able to plug the fridge into it.

I could just use the dongle and the numbers from the inverter and skip the shunt, but when I build a for-real solar system I will use it in that setup. And this way I get to get real numbers to compare and see just how oversized I did the battery.

I am starting my system with a Victron 250/85.

As I understand it, I need to use the Victron smart shunt in order to monitor the system via Bluetooth on my phone, or using a Victron SmartSolar MPPT Control Display that mounts in the face of the controller.

Do I need any other “devices” to make this work?

Also, future planned upgrades include adding more panels, and a second 250/85

Will the system be able to monitor each MPPT separately, or will it combine info from the different panel and controller systems?

Using a Rasperry pi 3b+ with Victron BMV-712 smart battery monitor with the free Victron Venus OS. Take a look at the message and the video in the message. Maybe the setup is what your looking for?

Extend Victron Smart 712 signal

I plan to run the inverter all the time and drain the battery down to 50% or so, then charge it up to full and repeat. My load should be about 150w drawn at night...

Sounds like you have a good plan!
Thanks for sharing it.

Rob

Sounds like you have a good plan!
Thanks for sharing it.

Rob
I'll post a picture of the complete setup when done if you like. I've been waiting on the last fuse before redoing it into a 'neat' verse 'functional' setup. Neatness counts in the bedroom according to the Boss Lady.

Back