diy solar

diy solar

Are these proper Victron settings?

marcfest

Hello,

I have the setup and attached a screenshot of my Victron settings for your reference. Could you please check and let me know if they are appropriate for my current setup? In particular, I'm uncertain about the proper "Tail current" setting. Thank you!

Marc

SETUP:
Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT TR VE.Can 250V 100 amp 12/24/36/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)

4000W Giandel inverter
4 Battleborn 100Ah / 12V batteries in 2S2P 24V config

6 Mission Solar panels in 6S config:
Watts (STC) 345W
Max Power Voltage (VMPP) 33.37 V
Max Power Current (IMPP) 10.34 A
Open Circuit Voltage (VOC) 41.0 V
Short Circuit Current (ISC) 10.92 A
Max System Voltage (UL) DC 1000 V

Attachments

• IMG_3692.PNG
    IMG_3692.PNG
    126 KB · Views: 12
Generally, series connecting multiple LFP batteries together is not recommended. Not that it can't work, but you need to start with them top balanced to each other, and periodically rebalance them.

Personally, I would decrease Absorption voltage to 28.0, but what you have should be fine if the batteries stay in balance and are working ok. If you start getting BMS disconnects during late-stage charging, try reducing the absorption voltage.
Turn equalization off.
You can disable tail current. You don't need it with a defined time for absorption.

One more question: since Brucey indicated that the charge controller was in danger with my current 6S setup of the panels, I want to make sure it didn't get damaged already and is working properly. It does not show any signs of damage, in terms of its controls. I suppose a way to verify its proper functioning would be to see if the battery individual voltage is at 50% of the absorption voltage level once the absorption light comes on, i.e. at 28.8V / 2 = 14.4 V and at 50% of float level once the float light comes on, i.e., at 27.2V / 2 = 13.6V. Is that correct? Or is there another way of establishing that the VICTRON works as it should? Thanks again for your help.

If you exceeded the V limit it wouldn't work at all. The VOC is a worst case number, it's unlikely that you were experiencing that max voltage across the six panels during the time you had it connected.

I have the same 250/100. Running 3S3P of ~46V panels. I ran these on a 150/100 when I was stupider than I am now. Fortunately, I caught the issue before it got cold enough to do damage.

VictronConnect will show the highest PV voltage attained in the last 30 days:

1710271041670.png

Back