diy solar

diy solar

Victron Autotransformer: How loud is it?

HookEm

For those of you that may own one of these (preferably the 32A version):
How loud is it?... Enough to notice or worry about in a motorhome?

Also, any clues on Efficiency rating?
Thanks!

Topic is pretty old but I'm looking for the answer to the original question. How loud is the Victron autotransformer? Would be used in step-down mode 230v to 120v.

Would like to use it in a cabin next to bedrooms along with the Victron Multi RS 6000 which is very silent.

This would prevent me from building a shed to house all the equipment, but I'm worried about the auto transformer hum.

I have the 100a AT doing load balancing for two MP 3000s in split phase configuration. The AT is much quieter than the MPs (which are fairly noisy), but I don't know if when using it to step down 230v to 120v it would behave differently than my application.

Reactions: CTS
I have the 100a AT doing load balancing for two MP 3000s in split phase configuration. The AT is much quieter than the MPs (which are fairly noisy), but I don't know if when using it to step down 230v to 120v it would behave differently than my application.
Thanks for the reply! Glad to hear its quieter than the MP. Will have to do some more research as having these in the cabin and not having to build a shed would save me a ton of money and time.

Insulated cabinet perhaps?
Kind of what I am thinking as well. Thinking of using insulation in the closet with a layer of another soundproofing material, or even having just the autotransformer outside.

Also realize I don't need to stick to the Victron brand here and have been looking at the Solar Edge Auto transformer which in 2 videos people had commented on how quiet they are.

There's a lot of ATs now in this price range. EG growatt also has one, UL listed, for their 240V hybrid. I believe more VAs than Victron. But I haven't seen reviews/videos

Out of pure curiosity, why do you have the AT? Don't want to thread jack, so a pm is appropriate if you feel like it.

I'm new to the victron world and I am doing up an RV with 50amp service.

when using it to step down 230v to 120v it would behave differently than my application.
Pretty sure different applications and loads will induce different VAs on the AT. Even in balancing config if you connect the common neutral of inverters to the midpoint of the AT there will be different VAs since the neutral current will be split between the AT and the inverters. Vs 100% carried by the AT

Out of pure curiosity, why do you have the AT? Don't want to thread jack, so a pm is appropriate if you feel like it.

I'm new to the victron world and I am doing up an RV with 50amp service.
When you use an AT on the output of two stacked inverters it will allow some power from one inverter to be sent to the leg being served by the other inverter. The amount of power that can be transferred is dependent on the VA rating. It also provides 120/240 if one inverter fails. With some rewiring.

However this needs to be done carefully if you need to go on shore power to prevent the AT from fighting the utility transformer.

Exactly, a microwave and rv ac unit. Might have turned the toaster oven on too, I was doing my best to test the system.

Exactly, a microwave and rv ac unit. Might have turned the toaster oven on too, I was doing my best to test the system.
How does the setup handle shore power? IE avoid putting the neutral output of AT in parallel with the grid power which will not have exactly the same neutral to line voltage

How does the setup handle shore power? IE avoid putting the neutral output of AT in parallel with the grid power which will not have exactly the same neutral to line voltage
I'm not sure, I'm totally off grid, but there were some people discussing that subject in the thread I linked above.

Back