diy solar

diy solar

Victron BMS 12/200 - anyone use one of these

danphillips

I'm looking for a BMS for a new system on my boat. Has anyone used the Victron BMS 12/200 on a boat or a motor home ?

Price seems fair for this unit at $238.

Specs look interesting, and it will even tie in the alternator to allow charging if I am reading this correctly.

My system will consist of 540ah of CALB cells, 800w of solar and a magnum 2800/12 inverter

If I'm reading the information right, this isn't a BMS like we think of for DIY LiFePO4. It's for between an alternator and one of Victron's LiFePO4 batteries that already has a BMS.

I was thinking of using the Victron Smart BMS CL 12/100 as above but not sure then from the comments if I am just duplicating. Indeed it does seem to be a controller for the battery charging and possibly duplicates the BMS I will have built into the battery I build plus the protection given by the Wakespeed WS500 I will be installing to protect the alternator. My view is that this really isn't need? As I am new to lithium could someone please advise.

1606041535047.png

It's been a while since I looked at the Victron BMS, but I think it only works with their battery. If you create a DIY battery with a BMS you would not use the Victron BMS.

Thanks - looking at it further, strictly speaking it seems to be more an alternator and charge regulator. So not really a proper BMS as such. I will opt for the VE-Bus instead, as a way to manage the system, I just need to work out what the pinout of the wires from the Victron smart battery ( the 3 pin round plug)

I have the same plan here, have you determined the pin outs for the Bat/control cables, I want to use with generic LiFePO4s from marine alt.

Back