diy solar

diy solar

Victron compatible LiFePO4 BMS

Oleksii B.

Hi Everyone,
Please share decent LiFePO4 BMS models that work with Victron inverter/chargers and a few words with feedback if you tried them personally.
The aim is to make the charger to manage the current (e.g. throttle down) based on info from BMS.
Does it even makes sense for 48V home backup battery with <0.25C charge/discharge current?

Thanks

I'm using all Victron equipment currently, the 24/3000/70 x120 inverter and the 250/100 Smartsolar controller. My battery bank is two 24v LiFEPO4 at 280 AH each for 560AH total. Each battery has its own Daly 8S 24v 200A BMS. Everything has been running smoothly with the setup so far and Daly actually has pretty decent customer service. They also seem to be very popular on this forum.

How many AH is your backup battery? You need that info along with the max charge/discharge current per cell to figure out your total maximum charging current.

I'm changing over to a 48v system myself in the next few weeks and doubling my battery bank, when I ordered the BMS I thought I needed Daly wrote to me and said to use the one with the "parallel module", which is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BC96DPKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so just FYI if you are going to run more than one 48v set in parallel.

How many AH is your backup battery? You need that info along with the max charge/discharge current per cell to figure out your total maximum charging current.
I've Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 230V, 280Ah x 50V capacity battery. The inverter allows cont. discharge 4000W and peak 9000W, that is ~80A and 180A discharge current respectively. So 200A (or greater) BMS would be fine. But the question was about connectivity with the embedded Victron charger.

Now looking for a proper BMS and realized I don't know how to make sure there's communication compatibility.
My options for now:
- Rec Q, high quality, works perfect, but for a price of a kidney;
- Seplos, probably works with Victron, but would like to see feedback from someone over a few years of use;
- JBD https://www.docanpower.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=444, looks solid, supports Victron (allegedly), but need feedbacks also;
- OverkillSolar, does not support Victron, but @Will Prowse recommended it. I noticed he doesn't connect it to the charger at all. So maybe if I charge top balanced battery at 0.1C or lower to 90% capacity, it's not so needed?

I'm changing over to a 48v system myself in the next few weeks and doubling my battery bank, when I ordered the BMS I thought I needed Daly wrote to me and said to use the one with the "parallel module", which is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BC96DPKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so just FYI if you are going to run more than one 48v set in parallel.
That is interesting experience. Are you going to re-use old cells with a new batch? When done would like to hear about pitfalls if any.
I noticed on the scheme there's no cable between Daly BMS' parallel modules. Do they communicate wirelessly? That is weird if so.
Will look at Daly again, thank you.
I don't have solar, going to use my system to get cheap electricity at night and as a backup system in case Russians blow up another powerplant.
So scaling the battery up is the next step.

I'm using all Victron equipment currently, the 24/3000/70 x120 inverter and the 250/100 Smartsolar controller. My battery bank is two 24v LiFEPO4 at 280 AH each for 560AH total. Each battery has its own Daly 8S 24v 200A BMS. Everything has been running smoothly with the setup so far and Daly actually has pretty decent customer service. They also seem to be very popular on this forum.

Hi!

I'm extremely interested in your setup. Thanks for sharing!!

I'm also after a 150A - 200A BMS that could talk with the Victron MultiPlus-II 24/5000/120-50 / Venus OS.
I need to buy one or two of such BMSs as I'm waiting for 8x LF280K for a 24v battery, and after this I'll make another one for redundancy (for an RV).

Question: Does the Daly reports DVCC to Victron?

It seems that DVCC is helpful to prevent over-charging as well as gracefully tapering charge voltage and amperage to zero to full SOC on a CANBUS enabled BMS system.

From their manual : Cerbo GX manual - section 8
"Enabling DVCC changes a GX device from a passive monitor into an active controller."
"Example 1 - Managed CAN-bus batteries For example, in systems with an Managed CAN-bus BMS battery connected, the GX receives a Charge Voltage Limit (CVL), Charge Current Limit (CCL), Discharge Current Limit (DCL) from that battery and relays that to the connected inverter/chargers and solar chargers. These then disable their internal charge algorithms and simply do what they're told by the battery. There is no need to set-up charge voltages or choose the charge algorithm type."

I've Victron Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 230V, 280Ah x 50V capacity battery. The inverter allows cont. discharge 4000W and peak 9000W, that is ~80A and 180A discharge current respectively. So 200A (or greater) BMS would be fine. But the question was about connectivity with the embedded Victron charger.

Now looking for a proper BMS and realized I don't know how to make sure there's communication compatibility.
My options for now:
- Rec Q, high quality, works perfect, but for a price of a kidney;
- Seplos, probably works with Victron, but would like to see feedback from someone over a few years of use;
- JBD https://www.docanpower.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=444, looks solid, supports Victron (allegedly), but need feedbacks also;
- OverkillSolar, does not support Victron, but @Will Prowse recommended it. I noticed he doesn't connect it to the charger at all. So maybe if I charge top balanced battery at 0.1C or lower to 90% capacity, it's not so needed?

That is interesting experience. Are you going to re-use old cells with a new batch? When done would like to hear about pitfalls if any.
I noticed on the scheme there's no cable between Daly BMS' parallel modules. Do they communicate wirelessly? That is weird if so.
Will look at Daly again, thank you.
I don't have solar, going to use my system to get cheap electricity at night and as a backup system in case Russians blow up another powerplant.
So scaling the battery up is the next step.

Regarding the Seplos, there is an ongoing thread on it and clearly talks to Vitron, though at buying time you have to specify that (there are 2 versions, only one works with it).
It seems it doesn't publish DVCC, though

I'm planning on victron multiplus-ii gx 48v 5000va / jk bms / diy eve lf280k 18S, researching indicates BMS will talk to inverter over RS485-VE direct with software modification available on github.
Will give it a go, will be nice to have all Info on victron app and have Inverter taking Info from BMS, but if not system will simply operate as 2x systems, which doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Hi Everyone,
Please share decent LiFePO4 BMS models that work with Victron inverter/chargers and a few words with feedback if you tried them personally.
The aim is to make the charger to manage the current (e.g. throttle down) based on info from BMS.
Does it even makes sense for 48V home backup battery with <0.25C charge/discharge current?

Thanks
Rec bms has full Victron compatibility with full VE.can support. Ve.direct isn’t a great system wide solution

View attachment 112361

works like a charm!

Awesome having your feedback! I was reading through the thread's 19 pages, but haven't reached the end...
I'm between JBD and JK ( especially the latter due to the active balancing features) so I'm interested in your experience...
Was it easy to setup?
Does the GX uses DVCC?

Thanks in advance!

Yes but what’s the protocol and where is it documented.
Maybe those are questions to these thread?

Maybe those are questions to these thread?
Thanks but it’s serial not CAN

As it's opensource and 'free', the amount of documentation is depending on the time people have available.
I'm using it with a RS485 connection and a usb adapter in the Raspberry Pi I'm running venusOS large on

seems canbus is quite 'workable' as well, and as far as I can judge the trick is to get your canbus board connected and once that's fixed there's only a few standards to go with (I read there that pretty much any canbus compliant BMS should work????)

View attachment 112361

works like a charm!
Thanks! I heard about this solution from OverkillSolar Support and here it is.
Do you have a single battery batch or a few in parallel? I know that in such configuration the BMSes are connected sequentially and only one communicates with a Venus OS device. I wonder if the driver will work properly in this case.

Back