diy solar

diy solar

Victron inverter/charger options (overwhelmed)

WarpedJester

Surfing around the web, i see so many different options and i dont know what is the right fit for me.

i am planning my first solar build for my 31' RV. I live full time off grid and in doing the calculations i believe i will be going with 8x 100wh panels coupled to 4 (to start with, 6 total) battleborn lith. batteries all set up for 24v.

I want to go with Victron for everything in between, including the color control interface to manage it all but in looking into things it seems like there are so many version or options for each element and its just about overwhelming.

To point. looking at Inverter/chargers. there is the MultiPlus, MultiPlus 2 and the 2GX. GAH!... Is the MultiPlus at ~$1500 good enough? is it going to be outmoded? Should i be looking at the 2? Does the GX has some extra unicorns and sparkles that i just cant live without?

-Jester

I have...

Victron:

5K/48 Quattro Inverter
Smart Solar 150/100 charge controller
Victron color control GX
Smart sense
BMV-700

I selected the Quattro because I wanted the higher power offered over the Multiplus.

Stick with the multiplus. You don't need the other features, particularly if you're running the color control GX. The II is intended for grid-blended operations.

Surfing around the web, i see so many different options and i dont know what is the right fit for me.

i am planning my first solar build for my 31' RV. I live full time off grid and in doing the calculations i believe i will be going with 8x 100wh panels coupled to 4 (to start with, 6 total) battleborn lith. batteries all set up for 24v.

I want to go with Victron for everything in between, including the color control interface to manage it all but in looking into things it seems like there are so many version or options for each element and its just about overwhelming.

To point. looking at Inverter/chargers. there is the MultiPlus, MultiPlus 2 and the 2GX. GAH!... Is the MultiPlus at ~$1500 good enough? is it going to be outmoded? Should i be looking at the 2? Does the GX has some extra unicorns and sparkles that i just cant live without?

-Jester

Are you in North America? If so, good news for you (which is also bad news), most options are not available here.

As far as I know these are the only options of Victron inverter/charger available in North America in 24v:
  1. Victron Multiplus Compact 2000W
  2. Victron Multiplus 3000W
  3. Victron Quattro (2 AC inputs) 3000W/5000W/10000W (only 5000W version available in 24v)

And regardless of what market you are in, the Multiplus II, and GX appear to be only 48v, so you can rule those out.

I do agree Victron needs to work on clarifying and simplifying their product lines.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes, I would contact a Victron distributor and buy through them (baymarinesupply for instance). They should be able to help you choose the right products and make sure everything works together.

It is confusing because venders lump all the different models in the same list. Would be nice to be able to filter by market (North America vs Europe).

I chose the Multiplus Compact 24/2000-50. Compact it is not.

It is confusing because venders lump all the different models in the same list. Would be nice to be able to filter by market (North America vs Europe).

I chose the Multiplus Compact 24/2000-50. Compact it is not.

Haldor, I'm also considering the Multiplus Compact, seems almost everyone opts for the regular multiplus 3k because price is almost the same. What went into your decision to go with the 2k, what tradeoffs did you discover. I'm interested in the compact for its lower idle consumption (2/3 the power of the multiplus, but only 1/2 the idle consumption)

Haldor, I'm also considering the Multiplus Compact, seems almost everyone opts for the regular multiplus 3k because price is almost the same. What went into your decision to go with the 2k, what tradeoffs did you discover. I'm interested in the compact for its lower idle consumption (2/3 the power of the multiplus, but only 1/2 the idle consumption)
My application is in a Ford E350 campervan and the 2000 was plenty. Plus I got a good deal on a used one.

I only have 300W of solar and 3000 WH of battery. In my opinion this not nearly enough of either for the 3000 inverter.

Reactions: Dzl
WOW thank you all for the input. yeah i had sent a email to Victron and have gotten no response. Thanks @Dzl i will check out that supplier and see if they can help as well.

I too am wondering about your choice of the Compact. Interestingly i didnt see it on Victron www. Its quite a bit cheaper then the Quattro. The Quattro does seem to include two AC inputs so its sounds like i would not need a transfer switch (if i am understanding things correctly) but that said, i do have the trasfer switch thats already in the RV so other then some extra wiring, i would not be gaining much.

Is there something else about the Quattro i am missing that makes it worth the extra $1000?

-Jester

WOW thank you all for the input. yeah i had sent a email to Victron and have gotten no response. Thanks @Dzl i will check out that supplier and see if they can help as well.

I too am wondering about your choice of the Compact. Interestingly i didnt see it on Victron www. Its quite a bit cheaper then the Quattro. The Quattro does seem to include two AC inputs so its sounds like i would not need a transfer switch (if i am understanding things correctly) but that said, i do have the trasfer switch thats already in the RV so other then some extra wiring, i would not be gaining much.

Is there something else about the Quattro i am missing that makes it worth the extra $1000?

-Jester
The Multiplus Compact includes a transfer switch. Nice thing about Victron is their inverters will provide additional power from batteries if the shore power is lacking when starting motors. I don't know anyone else who does that.

The remote lets you adjust the max shore power demand so you don't overload it.

-Jester

Quattro would definitely eliminate need for an ATS. Intended for both grid and genny input with customized behavior for both.

Quattro would definitely eliminate need for an ATS. Intended for both grid and genny input with customized behavior for both.
Does the generator input on the Quattro have relaxed power requirements? That is one thing the AIMS EVO has going for it. It will accept noisier power on the generator input than it will on the utility power input.

Does the generator input on the Quattro have relaxed power requirements? That is one thing the AIMS EVO has going for it. It will accept noisier power on the generator input than it will on the utility power input.

A couple of generator settings. Enabling "WeakAC" would seem to accomplish what you describe at the expense of up to 20% charge current.

Dynamic current limiter Intended for generators, the AC voltage being generated by means of a static inverter (so-called ‘inverter’ generators). In these generators, rotational speed is down-controlled if the load is low: this reduces noise, fuel consumption and pollution. A disadvantage is that the output voltage will drop severely or even completely fail in the event of a sudden load increase. More load can only be supplied after the engine is up to speed. If this setting is ‘on’, the Quattro will start supplying extra power at a low generator output level and gradually allow the generator to supply more, until the set current limit is reached. This allows the generator engine to get up to speed. This setting is also often used for ‘classical’ generators that respond slowly to sudden load variation.

WeakAC Strong distortion of the input voltage can result in the charger hardly operating or not operating at all. If WeakAC is set, the charger will also accept a strongly distorted voltage, at the cost of greater distortion of the input current. Recommendation: Turn WeakAC on if the charger is hardly charging or not charging at all (which is quite rare!). Also turn on the dynamic current limiter simultaneously, and reduce the maximum charging current to prevent overloading the generator if necessary. Note: when WeakAC is on, the maximum charge current is reduced by approximately 20%. Not adjustable with DIP switches.

Sounds like a yes. Not sure why I asked. If it is worth doing, you can bet that Victron is already doing it.

I'm glad you asked. I'm still learning about this thing. We're entering Monsoon season, so we're getting a lot of afternoon clouds with the occasional showers, so I was ready to try and figure out how to hook my cheap genny up to charge the batteries, Plenty of charging from 3kW of panels on only about 9kWh of daily use even with a fair amount of cloud cover, so I'll figure it out some other time... :)

Since you mentioned Battleborn batteries, their tech staff is very knowledgeable about Victron stuff and they sell it too. maybe a package price?

I have also used Northern Arizona solar (solar-electric.com). They have been very helpful.
i am using a Multi-plus 12/3000 with Battleborns, 6 100 watt panels, and a Victron 100/50 SCC. No color control yet.

-Jester

I think you've got it right.

As for why you can't find the Multiplus Compact on Victron's website, they seem to be moving away from the "multiplus compact," they rarely reference the compact, which can be confusing. Here is the datasheet that has the specs for both the 2000W (compact) and 3000W Multiplus, and here is the webpage where I found it.

Other than the dual AC inputs, and extra 2000W, not that I know of. But I have never looked at it seriously, so I'm not the best to answer that. There are others on the forum who do own it, so hopefully someone else can chime in.

Can’t speak to every option, but I went with the Multiplus 3000/24/120, and it’s been rock solid and versatile as I needed so far. As you noted, it is only a touch more expensive than the 2000. While it isn’t tiny or light, the size and heft come from beefy parts that aren’t prone to failing. That’s a bigger deal to me than size/weight, though your needs may dictate otherwise.

Reactions: Dzl
IMHO the quality and durability of an inverter is directly proportional to its weight. My 5K units are like 66#... beasts - way heavier than it seems they should be.

Are you in North America? If so, good news for you (which is also bad news), most options are not available here.

As far as I know these are the only options of Victron inverter/charger available in North America in 24v:
  1. Victron Multiplus Compact 2000W
  2. Victron Multiplus 3000W
  3. Victron Quattro (2 AC inputs) 3000W/5000W/10000W (only 5000W version available in 24v)

And regardless of what market you are in, the Multiplus II, and GX appear to be only 48v, so you can rule those out.

I do agree Victron needs to work on clarifying and simplifying their product lines.
So there is no AC 120v option available for the us above a 3000w inverter that we know of? Does anyone have some experience and feedback on how the SCC aspect of the Multiplus performs? I've read that sometimes the 2 in 1 units can be lacking.

So there is no AC 120v option available for the us above a 3000w inverter that we know of?

Correct, there is no single 120v multiplus above 3kw/6kw, but there are at least 3 options above 3kw/6kw:
  1. 4000/8000: 2 x Multiplus Compact 2000W (parallel or split phase)
  2. 5000/10,000: 1 x Quattro 5000W / 10,000 surge
  3. 6000/12000: 2 x Multiplus 3000W (parallel or split phase)

Does anyone have some experience and feedback on how the SCC aspect of the Multiplus performs? I've read that sometimes the 2 in 1 units can be lacking.

There is no SCC aspect. It is just an inverter/charger.

Victron makes the Easysolar, which is an All-in-one combinint Multiplus + Smartsolar (SCC) + GX Device (for management and monitoring) + AC breakers. Looks like a cool device, but not available in 120v. I'm sure the SCC component performs well, since--from what I can understand--they literally just wire their existing charge controllers in.

Last edited:
Correct, there is no single 120v multiplus above 3kw/6kw, but there are at least 3 options above 3kw/6kw:
  1. 4000/8000: 2 x Multiplus Compact 2000W (parallel or split phase)
  2. 5000/10,000: 1 x Quattro 5000W / 10,000 surge
  3. 6000/12000: 2 x Multiplus 3000W (parallel or split phase)

There is no SCC aspect. It is just an inverter/charger.

Victron makes the Easysolar, which is an All-in-one combinint Multiplus + Smartsolar (SCC) + GX Device (for management and monitoring) + AC breakers. Looks like a cool device, but not available in 120v. I'm sure the SCC component performs well, since--from what I can understand--they literally just wire their existing charge controllers in.
Gotcha, thanks. What is the "charger" part of the inverter/charger exactly?

diy solar

diy solar
Back