diy solar

diy solar

Victron inverter/charger options (overwhelmed)

Ah, got it.
You are also able to set the max current draw from shore power (when you have a limited power source or are using a long extension cord). When this limit is exceeded the Multiplus will boost the AC power output using battery power. This is helpful for starting motors.

I don't believe anybody else can do this.

These seem super pricey for just an inverter. What warrants the extra thousands over other well reviewed units?

What well reviewed inverters are you referring to that are $1000 cheaper than the Multiplus ($1150-1300)? Most top tier, medium sized inverters are roughly in this price range ($1000-2000). (Victron, Magnum, Samlex)

What makes top tier low frequency inverters potentially worth the extra cost compared to cheap inverters:
  1. Quality of components (building a quality inverter with quality components is not cheap)
  2. Reputable Company / Support / Warranty
  3. Real surge capability (this is especially important for inductive loads / things with motors like air conditioning or fridges
  4. Charger as well as an inverter
  5. Programmable low voltage disconnect and smart features (important with lifepo4)
  6. Good documentation
  7. Longer life and serviceable.
However, if your power demands are more modest and you are on a budget, and these other benefits aren't important to you a more value oriented high frequency inverter might be fine. Alternatively there are a number of high frequency and a couple mid range low frequency inverters that are a bit more affordable.

Last edited:
What well reviewed inverters are you referring to that are $1000 cheaper than the Multiplus ($1150-1300)? Most top tier, medium sized inverters are roughly in this price range ($1000-2000). (Victron, Magnum, Samlex)

What makes top tier low frequency inverters potentially worth the extra cost compared to cheap inverters:
  1. Quality of components (building a quality inverter with quality components is not cheap)
  2. Reputable Company / Support / Warranty
  3. Real surge capability (this is especially important for inductive loads / things with motors like air conditioning or fridges
  4. Charger as well as an inverter
  5. Programmable low voltage disconnect and smart features (important with lifepo4)
  6. Good documentation
  7. Longer life and serviceable.
However, if your power demands are more modest and you are on a budget, and these other benefits aren't important to you a more value oriented high frequency inverter might be fine. Alternatively there are a number of high frequency and a couple mid range low frequency inverters that are a bit more affordable.
Thanks for that info.
I didn't mean to get down to an exact dollar amount in the separation between other options, but still a big difference. Like this from SunGoldPower on Amazon:

And this to combine it with.

Thoughts?

Thanks for that info.
I didn't mean to get down to an exact dollar amount in the separation between other options, but still a big difference. Like this from SunGoldPower on Amazon:

And this to combine it with.

Thoughts?
Those options can be fine, so long as they meet your needs. If that’s the case, you might not notice any difference at all. I went with the Multiplus because it does things other units like the one listed don’t. A lot of that has to with the programmability and flexibility. I’ll give you a few examples to help you in understanding why some units cost more, and are more highly regarded:

1. Solar Priority (AC Ignore)- I have a refrigerator and a freezer running on my Multiplus. I want them running on solar, but don’t want 100s of dollars in food spoiling if we experience extended poor solar days. So the charger is programmed to ignore the grid, unless state of charge gets to a certain point, then it opens the grid circuit, charges the batteries to a preset voltage, then turns the grid back off.

In the example above, those flag points can be anything I want: a certain voltage, a percent of charge, a combination of conditions for a period of time, etc. This allows me to make it an inverter/charger that fits my needs, instead of my having to bend to it. This type of settings capability is available for many of the inverter or charge functions.

2. More than one AC out- There are items I only want AC powered when grid power is on. There is a second AC output on the Multiplus that accomplishes this.

3. Ability to “trickle charge” a second battery- I don’t use this yet but thought it was a cool feature for van/rv/boat use. A second, lowrate charge connection is available to charge a second battery, such as a starter battery, separate from the main pack. The BMV-712 monitor (a separate unit, but one I included in my setup) can monitor charge state for both batteries.

It’s things like this that set the Victron units apart, along with a more lengthy warranty with a company that you’ll actually be able to get warranty service from when you need it. The value of these extended capabilities, quality of components, and warranty help should you need it, are relative to each person and their situation, budget, and intended use.

In the end, each purchaser has to decide what is “enough” or “right” for their needs. A top-of-the-line unit may not be necessary, and they may never need extended capabilities, so to them a cheaper unit may be a bargain even if they have to replace it twice as often. Every Honda Civic owner wouldn’t mind having an S-Class Mercedes instead, but their situation dictates something else. Yet, they still get where they were going as well as they would have in anything else. Its about what you need, want, and/or can afford. Is the Victron worth the cost? Yes. Do you need it? That’ll be your call. If everything you want/need can be met by the Sungoldpower and Epever units, there you are!

Those options can be fine, so long as they meet your needs. If that’s the case, you might not notice any difference at all. I went with the Multiplus because it does things other units like the one listed don’t. A lot of that has to with the programmability and flexibility. I’ll give you a few examples to help you in understanding why some units cost more, and are more highly regarded:

1. Solar Priority (AC Ignore)- I have a refrigerator and a freezer running on my Multiplus. I want them running on solar, but don’t want 100s of dollars in food spoiling if we experience extended poor solar days. So the charger is programmed to ignore the grid, unless state of charge gets to a certain point, then it opens the grid circuit, charges the batteries to a preset voltage, then turns the grid back off.

In the example above, those flag points can be anything I want: a certain voltage, a percent of charge, a combination of conditions for a period of time, etc. This allows me to make it an inverter/charger that fits my needs, instead of my having to bend to it. This type of settings capability is available for many of the inverter or charge functions.

2. More than one AC out- There are items I only want AC powered when grid power is on. There is a second AC output on the Multiplus that accomplishes this.

3. Ability to “trickle charge” a second battery- I don’t use this yet but thought it was a cool feature for van/rv/boat use. A second, lowrate charge connection is available to charge a second battery, such as a starter battery, separate from the main pack. The BMV-712 monitor (a separate unit, but one I included in my setup) can monitor charge state for both batteries.

It’s things like this that set the Victron units apart, along with a more lengthy warranty with a company that you’ll actually be able to get warranty service from when you need it. The value of these extended capabilities, quality of components, and warranty help should you need it, are relative to each person and their situation, budget, and intended use.

In the end, each purchaser has to decide what is “enough” or “right” for their needs. A top-of-the-line unit may not be necessary, and they may never need extended capabilities, so to them a cheaper unit may be a bargain even if they have to replace it twice as often. Every Honda Civic owner wouldn’t mind having an S-Class Mercedes instead, but their situation dictates something else. Yet, they still get where they were going as well as they would have in anything else. Its about what you need, want, and/or can afford. Is the Victron worth the cost? Yes. Do you need it? That’ll be your call. If everything you want/need can be met by the Sungoldpower and Epever units, there you are!
Thanks, Rick. Yeah, in my case it will be not tied to the utility, but is completely off-grid, so paying for those features minus the name, service, warranty part would sorta be a waste. I could literally buy a backup unit of each and be breaking even. I think that's more where I'm at right now. I appreciate all the data and your input. Specs and good reviews are enough for me to proceed...and hope for an honorable manufacturer/seller.

Thanks, Rick. Yeah, in my case it will be not tied to the utility, but is completely off-grid, so paying for those features minus the name, service, warranty part would sorta be a waste. I could literally buy a backup unit of each and be breaking even. I think that's more where I'm at right now. I appreciate all the data and your input. Specs and good reviews are enough for me to proceed...and hope for an honorable manufacturer/seller.
That’s the ticket, really. Make it fit what you need, and you’ll be happy with it.

Sungoldpower might be a good fit for you. I don't have any experience with it, but I like it from what I've read, its about the cheapest decent low frequency inverter I'm aware of. Best I can tell its made by the same company that makes AIMS inverters (Sigineer) but its more affordable. I'm not sure where they cut corners to hit the price point they do, but the price makes it an attractive option. I've heard mixed opinions about Sungoldpower from what I recall, mostly decent experiences, and a few not so good experiences (pretty standard for off-brand amazon buys, so no news there). If you do buy it be sure to share your impression and experience with us.

Last edited:
With regards to the ability to "trickle"charge the starter battery does anyone know what voltage it sets this as? I plan to use it for long term storage with the house batteries being Lithium and the starter being AGM. I found in the manual says it chargers the starter at 4A but i cant seem to find the voltage. Just wondering on the long term "trickle" charging of my starter battery.

Also does anyone have any experience with the long term charging of lithium batteries through the multiplus compact?

Cheers, David

With regards to the ability to "trickle"charge the starter battery does anyone know what voltage it sets this as? I plan to use it for long term storage with the house batteries being Lithium and the starter being AGM. I found in the manual says it chargers the starter at 4A but i cant seem to find the voltage. Just wondering on the long term "trickle" charging of my starter battery.

Also does anyone have any experience with the long term charging of lithium batteries through the multiplus compact?

Cheers, David

For the inverter linked above?

1597899249306.png

For the victron multiplus compact ?. I am aware of the main battery charging voltages, plus you can custom set them in the app anyway. I was referring to the voltage used to trickle charge the starter battery at 4A.

Quoting people or at least referring to them in your own post helps with continuity. There's no tie from your post to the source.

The Internet is an amazing place to find things. It took less time to find this on Victron's site than it took me to type this message:

Sections 2.2, 4.4.1 and 8.

Last edited:
Quoting people or at least referring to them in your own post helps with continuity. There's no tie from your post to the source.

The Internet is an amazing place to find things. It took less time to find this on Victron's site than it took me to type this message:

Sections 2.2, 4.4.1 and 8.

Apologies i assumed as since the original topic was on the Victron units it was implied.

I have been through the manual many times before but i just double checked and again all i could find in regards to the second output voltage, which i mentioned above, was

"Two DC outputs for charging two batteries The main DC terminal can supply the full output current. The second output, intended for charging a starter battery, is limited to 4A and has a slightly lower output voltage. "

Does anyone know what the "slightly lower voltage" is that it states? I cannot seem to find anywhere in the manual that gives an exact number unless i have completely missed it a few times now.

Also this is in regards to the Multiplus Compact although it appears to be the same with the Multiplus 3k manual you attached

(Multiplus Compact manual)

The second battery voltage output would be useful to me, except my house battery is 24V and the starter battery is 12V.

I guess I could use a 24V to 12V DC-DC converter/charger if it ever became a major issue.

That feature was something I really liked about the Renogy dcc50s. The low solar voltage limit and no support for 24V batteries turned me off however.

"Two DC outputs for charging two batteries The main DC terminal can supply the full output current. The second output, intended for charging a starter battery, is limited to 4A and has a slightly lower output voltage. "

Does anyone know what the "slightly lower voltage" is that it states? I cannot seem to find anywhere in the manual that gives an exact number unless i have completely missed it a few times now.

I also briefly looked into this in the manual and elsewhere, and could not find a clear answer

i don't no how to set peramater for wet cell trojan batteries MT50 with that efever 40 amp solar charger control i remember will said it was a pain in the but

i don't no how to set peramater for wet cell trojan batteries MT50 with that efever 40 amp solar charger control i remember will said it was a pain in the but

Hi Ken, this is a topic about the Victron Inverter/Charger. Your question seems to be about Trojan batteries and Epever charge controller, which is very off topic.

You will get better help/advice if you ask your question in the beginner section of the forum.

diy solar

diy solar
Back