diy solar

diy solar

Victron MPPT controls

Tecnodave

Solar Addict
Im trying to debug a very poor van solar conversion

Please note, I did not build this installation so I do not have build details

I have a Victron 150/35 MPPT charge controller to charge two Battle Born 12volt 100 a.h. battries in parallel.
Also Victron battery monitor with bluetooth.

Loads are Magnasine MS2000 inverter plus motorhome goodies, LED lighting, water pump, diesel heater, etc.

The biggest load on the inverter is a 1500 watt water heater.

Charge circuit is two 30 cell panels in series, type unknown

Vehicle is Turkish built Ford Transit van., 2018 model plain no windows van with closet motorhome built in

Before I got involved the complaint was the inverter stunk of burning insulation when running the water heater as a only load.
The Inverter was removed and replaced with a simular Magnasine MS-2000-20-20 almost same except has two branch breakers installed where as the original had no load breakers installed....but the installation was not finished, AC wiring left dangling. (Not done my myself)

Biggest RED FLAG..........2/0 cables directly from vehicle start battery to Battle Born’s......about 6 feet......only a 300 amp ANL fuse between Flooded Lead Acid and Lithium Ferro Phosphate batteries

Really Qualified...???......the minute I saw that the circuit was broken... comment please!!

The load shutoff switch shuts off the inverter as well as the other loads......something I would not do due to the precharge requirement as well as the fact that there is a magnasine remote installed and it is capable of shutting off the inverter

There is no inverter pre charge circuit......going to add

There is (according to manual) a rotary switch on the Victron MPPT which sets battery charge parameters, but I cannot find it‘s location in the manual or on the device, due to the other (mistakes?) I really need to check everything.....Does anyone know of this rotary switch and where it is located on the unit. Its in a cabinet with limited space and eyesight....

I have purchased a Victron Orion B2B to charge from the vehicle which I am in the process of adding

Asking for comments...

Victron MPPT battery charge settings switch location

Direct connections between FLA and LFP batteries......OK.....Iknow better....my customer does not and he doughts the need for the B2B

Comments please....

HEY....I’m a Midnight guy...

Biggest RED FLAG..........2/0 cables directly from vehicle start battery to Battle Born’s......about 6 feet......only a 300 amp ANL fuse between Flooded Lead Acid and Lithium Ferro Phosphate batteries
There needs to be some sort of DC to DC inverter to limit charging otherwise large amounts of amperage will flow down these wires. I don’t know if this caused the burning insulation. To me, this would be wires to small between the inverter and the battery.

What size were the wires?
Direct connections between FLA and LFP batteries......OK.....Iknow better....my customer does not and he doughts the need for the B2B
I recommend dropping this guy. Seems to be an endless set of mistakes that is going to suck so much of your time.

The smell is the Magnasine inverter itself.......A replacement inverter was installed by the owner but not finished, not connected as this Magnasine has internal branch breakers but the original did not have branch breakers

All the primary wiring is 2/0 Temco branded 1530 strand welding wire from the battery to battery and inverter. The MPPT controller is wired with 6 ga Temco branded welding wire so no issues there.

What I need is the charge switch location on the Victron MPPT controller and comments on the direct battery to battery connections using 2/0 wire to convince the owner of the motorhome of the reason why I have already purchased a Victron Orion B2B charger that I might install in this motorhome.

I will not leave the battery to battery direct connection as I found it

I do have commercial liability here as I am liscensed, insured and bonded as well as have 50 years experience in electrical work........any halfassed lawyer would take me to the cleaners if I create any hazardous situation......or fail to address that fault..
At the very minimum I must serve the customer with written notification of discovered fault mode AND get a written, signed receipt of that notification....It’s the law here in California

My customer is a long time freind, a retired electrician.....but he is residential...not DC or Solar, he came to me for expertise

Is the Victron mppt 150/35 a smart mppt or is it the Blue power series.

If it is the smart series - download the Victron connect app (on a cell phone) and set the settings there. My Smart mppt 100/50 does not have a wheel to set it up - all done through the app.

If you post a screen shot of the mppt setting and a screenshot of the battery monitor settings we can help make sure they are in the right range.

Good Luck

What I am asking is the location of the battery charge select switch.....I want that set to 7 ....lithium battery before I use the remote monitor or the Victron Connect app, I have read the Victron manuals but I have had bad expereince with Victron’s bluetooth app, The bluetooth is flakey...... The app is not much better, It will work with some devices, others it will not. The Victron Connect app finds only the MPPT controller bluetooth devices when searched with a iPhone 6 with old software but it will not find the Victron wireless system monitor or any devices with an iPad 6.0 or with a brand new iPad 13” unit. None of my apple devices can communicate with the Victron wireless bluetooth system monitor

Which brings up another issue....Is there a way to reset the Victron monitor password without deleting the settings

All of the controllers in my own systems are complete, they have full programming built in, I do not need any external programmers, phones, computers to do so......

This is how this was setup....FOR BATTLE BORN BATTERIES

Smart Solar HQ184068DVT

battery adsorb voltage 14.6

float voltage 13.5

equalization voltage 14.4

preset switch position .........2 .......Gel Victron deep discharge

The preselect switch for the controller is on the lower right next to the VE Buss connector....

for Battle Born BB100 batteries.......Correct switch setting 7

This is how the “Professional Installer” set this camper van up

Like I said.....I’m dealing with a Fart Smeller Setup, I need to rip everything out and redoo , wire dress , battery mounting fuses, switching and everything

Ive seen some shitty installations but this one is a piece of work

everywhere I look....grid tie panels in series on a vehicle mounted flat for a 12 volt installation???

got the instructions out of a cracker jack box

Which brings up another issue....Is there a way to reset the Victron monitor password without deleting the settings
I have reset a Victron PIN in the Bluetooth software. I don’t recall if I needed to redo the settings.

I just click the three dots on the right and follow the instruction. You’ll need the serial number of the device. In my case, it was mounted on a board with screws and I needed to remove the device to get a look at the serial number on the back.

I have reset a Victron PIN in the Bluetooth software. I don’t recall if I needed to redo the settings.

I just click the three dots on the right and follow the instruction. You’ll need the serial number of the device. In my case, it was mounted on a board with screws and I needed to remove the device to get a look at the serial number on the back.
Thanks.....@chrisski

These are mounted in a small cabinet, I do need to remove everything and reinstall. The charge profile switch is not accessible as mounted and I will not leave it set for Gel cell when the batteries are Lithium.

The battery monitor is mounted in a wall , nice physical details with the cabinetry, but the installer did not have a clue about electricity.......charging a lithium with a charger set to Gel cell on the switch and flooded lead acid on the settings.

diy solar

diy solar
Back