diy solar

diy solar

Victron smart 30 BlueTooth networking

chadjones99

chadjones LLC
Hello, I have a question about my smart 30 Bluetooth chargers, I have 2 Victron smart 30 charge controllers, And I have noticed twice now that the battery is near 100% charge instead of both chargers ( which are linked Bluetooth-wise) backing off on the charge rate and going to float one of them appears to be shutting down charging all together while the other one stays in bulk until the very end. Is that because that one is the network host ? or what. also on the one that stopped charging near 100% one time it still showed solar panel voltage but no output while today it shows almost no solar panel power. Both systems have their own set of panels and are only connected via Bluetooth ( and of course output to the same battery ) What should the smart controllers do ? I.E. both goto float or back off and turn off together etc or one turn off 1st?
note the pictures below are of the 1 charge controller that shuts down 1st and the shunt , the other charge controller I do not have a screenshot of

Attachments

• 9-22-22.jpg
    9-22-22.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 9-24-22 front controller.jpg
    9-24-22 front controller.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 9-24-22 full.jpg
    9-24-22 full.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 5
sorry if It wasn't clear, Victron smart 30 charge controllers, and on the Bluetooth network is 2 charge controllers and 1 smart shunt that's it , inverter is another brand so not networked on Bluetooth

this is what it looks like when under full charge :
So I don't know if when the batteries are full is it disconnecting and showing some residual voltage on the panel side. makes no sense , either the panels work or they don't. they are name-brand panels
also it didn't do this before syncing the two charge controllers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-151103.jpg
    Screenshot_20220826-151103.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
The panels seem to be the problem. The screen shots show low panel volts, 13.27 and 1.1, these are too low to allow the controller to operate.

Details on sync,

you were right i was concerned i had a broken solder joint (Kyocera in the past had this issue )( many years ago , 2004 ish I had some 120s that were recalled ) anyway I checked with a meter incoming to the charge controller and it was near zero volts, so I went up on the RV and I did not see any burnt spots on the panel ( thank goodness ) I then moved the MC4 connection around and it woke up and started charging. I am going to redo this connection today

Back