diy solar

diy solar

Victron Bluetooth dongle question

chadjones99

chadjones LLC
Hello all , I have a question about the Victron Bluetooth dongle. So right now my system has 2x Victron 100/30 charge controllers 1- 75/10 charge controller, 1-BP ( dumb one no Bluetooth ) 1- smart shunt. these are all the smart blue models with blue tooth, I do not have a central "hub" like a CerboGX, instead, they all communicate with each over direct Bluetooth I believe its called the VE.Smart networking.
So here's my question I need to add a 150/70 charge controller and I can save a 100$ for the none Bluetooth model and I already have a Bluetooth dongle I bought a while back by mistake. Can I use this to turn the none Bluetooth charge controller into a "smart blue" model ? i ask because I didn't know if it was for CerboGx use only.

If it plugs into a VE.Direct port, and the BlueSolar has a VE.Direct port, I believe it will work. If you got the VE.Bus bluetooth smart dongle, it will not work.

However,

The dongle can be used with any Victron Energy product that is equipped with a VE.Direct port (with exception of GX devices. It is especially useful for products that do not have built-in Bluetooth, such as: BMV 700 and 702 battery monitors, Phoenix Inverters, VE.Direct or the BlueSolar MPPT Solar Charge Controllers.

1.3. Limitations
There are a few limitations to be aware of
• The VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle is not compatible with Windows PC
• Synchronised charging is not possible with VE.Smart Networking
• Stored trends is not supported.

I suspect it will work to allow you to see and configure it, but it will not be able to coordinate with the other chargers in the VE.Smart Network.

Thanks for the input i did read samething on the Victron website that your quoted, about the sync, charging but that is one thing I wanted to do, but the main thing besides configuring it is the low charging temp set point, it needs to see the temperature displaced by the smart shut ..

Thanks for the input i did read samething on the Victron website that your quoted, about the sync, charging but that is one thing I wanted to do, but the main thing besides configuring it is the low charging temp set point, it needs to see the temperature displaced by the smart shut ..

I would still expect the dongle to pass voltage, current and temp data from the smart shunt to the dongle in the VE.Smart network.

another thing I noticed is the range of the Bluetooth on these devices are good other than the shunt. that range is short .

Yeah. The Smartshunt is terrible. The transmitter is on the shunt itself, and I expect it is best from a single direction away from the huge chunk of metal. The BMV-712 BT transmitter is in the display and has excellent range.

We're you able to get the Bluetooth Dongle to connect with the Be.Smart Network?

I have an older non-smart charge controller and the dongle. I've now added the smart shunt and want to creat a network but the charge controller doesn't have a networking option, even with the Bluetooth Dongle attached.

The demo shows it but even with the firmware updated I cannot see it.

Back