diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus 24/3000 will not power up with bluetooth dongle attached

rodrick

Free energy enthusiast
Went to power up my parallel mp units and nothing first thought crap something drained my battery bank grabbed iPad checked shunt voltage is 26.44 double checked with multimeter same so I flipped on my 2 mpp2424mds running on the same bank and they powered right up so now I’m thinking what the heck is going on so I opened my laptop and tried to connect but it had drained its battery so checked the Bluetooth unit on the other mp and it did not give any data so having just done some additional wiring on the system on the output side maybe I screwed up so I double checked my work and all looks good so now back to the dc side checked class t fuses ok pulled front covers check at inverter 26.41 volts all good but will not power up on either unit so thinking I somehow bricked 2 units I figured I’d pull the comm cables and try to bring them up independently disconnecting from laptop did nothing so I pulled the coms from slave 1 which had the com cable to the master and a Bluetooth dongle and they powered up but with a error flashing so powered down reconnecting com cable to master and restarting units power up master on with green inverter light on slave 1 has the inverter on and the charger mains on (alternate green light) this is new shut down system and reconnecting dongle caused original problem any ideas on what has happened I’m confused ?

MP configured in parallel must be connected via VE.BUS connection, or neither will function. If either fail for some reason, neither will function.

I assume you're talking about the VE.Bus smart dongle?

Please clarify:

The units work when the smart dongle is NOT attached.

The units don't work when the smart dongle is attached to either.

Please confirm you HAVE NOT PLACED any termination plugs in the VE.Bus ports.

1700456609865.png

Yes the coms cable between master and slave was connected

yes ve smart dongle

yes after disconnecting the smart dongle I could power units up and producing 120 volts on each unit but before disconnecting the dongle both units were dead in the water flip the switch and absolutely nothing like no battery power

i had the units running with the mk3 usb to laptop on the master and and left the smart dongle on the slave and it was working then today they wouldn’t power up

no termination plugs only parallel cable between the units and mk3 on master and dongle on slave

Does the MK3-USB still work on the same cable?

If yes, conclude:

Blown fuse in (+) line.
Bad dongle.
Bad cable.
Yes got the mk3-usb working
the only issues now are the alternating green lights on the slave between charging main and inverter on and the dongle cannot be plugged into the slave or it kills everything

Can the dongle be put on the master?

Lights alternating or mains ON with inverter blinking?
Do you hear relays clicking with the lights?
Yes I can swap the mk3-usb to the slave and put the dongle on the master the other cable port is used for the parallel cable

the lights are alternating no relay clicking

Swapped the mk3-usb and the dongle problem still exists will not power up with dongle connection in either device
Power output is good on both units when the dongle is removed from the system even changed the cable on the dongle using a real victron cable just to be sure it all comes back to the dongle causing issues
both inverters are making power volts and Hz are right on just the dam alternating lights on the slave and a dead dongle

Whelp... I'm stuck.

I can't find what mains on/inverter on alternating means.

I think a call to your dealer is warranted.
Thanks for the help I was hoping I was missing something simple, but on the bright side my backup mpp2424s are working fine? ( sorry I couldn’t resist ) but in all sincerity thanks for your help!

Swapped the mk3-usb and the dongle problem still exists will not power up with dongle connection in either device
Power output is good on both units when the dongle is removed from the system even changed the cable on the dongle using a real victron cable just to be sure it all comes back to the dongle causing issues
both inverters are making power volts and Hz are right on just the dam alternating lights on the slave and a dead dongle

See if there are firmware updates for the MP's

Have they ever had an update?

See if there are firmware updates for the MP's

Have they ever had an update?
Yes they were updated in the last couple of months when I paralleled the 2 units and all systems we’re working fine tried to power up today and nothing like dead batteries once the dongle was removed from the system everything came alive

Yes they were updated in the last couple of months when I paralleled the 2 units and all systems we’re working fine tried to power up today and nothing like dead batteries once the dongle was removed from the system everything came alive

Ok.

Any changes to the stuff it's powering that might be causing it to see voltage on it's a/c input?

Sorry tired so I'm just throwing this out there.

Ok.

Any changes to the stuff it's powering that might be causing it to see voltage on it's a/c input?

Nothing hooked up to the ac supply side power wise wired but no power input
I did wire it up to feed 2 breaker boxes one box can switch between the victron units and the mpp units and the box has a safety so only one set can be on at a time so the mpp units can supply one building and the victron units can supply another or be switched and be my main source basically it comes from the victron units to a j box and splits 2 ways all neutral ground bonding is done in main breaker box all other connections are split and inverter ground solenoids are off

Ok.

I appreciate any ideas I’m stumped, will work on it tomorrow time to get some sleep thanks again for your help

Are you trying to use the MK3 USB and the bluetooth dongle at the same time? I don't think that is possible. It's early. I don't rememeber ... only one or the other, not both. I think. Maybe.

OK, so, it's a little early but, here's what I think I also remember. I have had the VE Bus error flashing lights deal, I think, when I inadvertently connected a normal network cable to the VE Bus ports. Inverter worked normally as soon as the cable was pulled.

Update after removing dongle from the system totally and then reinstalling it must have rebooted and I was able to power up both inverters and the dongle seem to be working correctly now, but I still have the problem of the flashing mains on and inverter on green led’s on the one unit and its output is still suffering a low voltage issue when a load is applied it drops 10.5 volts lower than the other unit with the same load applied so there’s still a issue with that inverter

Back