diy solar

diy solar

Victron Smart Shunt Question

N1ESE

I’m going to be adding a Victron Smart Shunt to my system. The battery bank is 24V consisting of four 6V lead acid batteries. Is it better to setup the shunt for mid-point monitoring or do I forgo mid-point monitoring and go with temperature monitoring? It doesn’t appear I can go with both. I’m in the Ozarks, winter lows are often in the teens with brief occasional dips to 0F and sometimes a little colder. Summer time it can reach 100F.

I’m going to be adding a Victron Smart Shunt to my system. The battery bank is 24V consisting of four 6V lead acid batteries. Is it better to setup the shunt for mid-point monitoring or do I forgo mid-point monitoring and go with temperature monitoring? It doesn’t appear I can go with both. I’m in the Ozarks, winter lows are often in the teens with brief occasional dips to 0F and sometimes a little colder. Summer time it can reach 100F.

Regardless of temp swings, lead acid should be charged with temperature compensation.

If the temperature can be fed into a temperature compensated algorithm, then temp. If not, mid-point.

I just installed my Victron system, inverter/ charger, scc and shunt. Trying to setup things with Victron app and when it connects to shunt it’s asking me for battery capacity. I have 6 12v 125 ah batteries. Three sets of two tied into busbars to give me 24 v. So is it 3s3p or 2s3p?So do I add up all the ahs??

Parallel you add amperage together. Series you add voltage. So you have two 12V batteries in series to create a 125Ah 24V battery. You have three sets of those so it would be 3 x 125Ah, therefore you would enter 375 in the shunt. You should also leave the Peukert exponent at 1.25 since that is for lead acid by default.

Thanks. What other settings should I change? I have attached a few pics from app

Attachments

• IMG_4644.png
    IMG_4644.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4642.png
    IMG_4642.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4643.png
    IMG_4643.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 9
Per @ rhino, set peukert to 1.25.

Set battery SoC on reset to "Keep SoC"

Charged voltage should be set to 0.2-0.3V below float for AC charging or 0.2-0.3V below absorption for solar. Unpredictable solar can trigger false sync if set for AC charging.

Per @ rhino, set peukert to 1.25.

Set battery SoC on reset to "Keep SoC"

Charged voltage should be set to 0.2-0.3V below float for AC charging or 0.2-0.3V below absorption for solar. Unpredictable solar can trigger false sync if set for AC charging.
Ok how and where do I change that charged voltage setting and to what? Thanks

The charger is built in with the inverter . I don’t want to screw it up !! Really could use some help with the settings!!

Actually, I will respectfully disagree slightly on that charged voltage setting. Always set it to that 0.2-0.3V below ABSORB setpoint. The reason being that if you don't then it can potentially calibrate to 100% prematurely. Normally you should be using the same or very similar absorb charge volts for solar and/or inverter charging. Of course in an all in one unit that will be one and the same setting.

Also just a note for anyone with a 12V battery setup. You still want to go 0.1-0.2V below Absorb voltage. (And on 48V go more like 0.3-0.4V below Absorb.)

Where do you see the absorb rate on the pics from the app?

Last edited:
Where do you see the absorb rate on the pics from the app?
What @sunshine_eggo said! You will see and adjust that in your chargers, inverters, solar controllers. Whatever is doing the charging.

The Smartshunt is only monitoring, hence the need for that small buffer, where the Smartshunt is watching for a voltage slightly below where the voltage will actually go to.

Back