diy solar

diy solar

Victron vs other MPPT controllers?

hiosilva

Since I am not getting any advice on my other post regarding the controller we have on our boat, I have concluded I need a new one since nothing I have tried is working.
Victron offers no technical support except through the dealers.
Who makes an MPPT controller that has good (or any) tech support?
This is what I am trying to replace.
1654026033746.png
We have a 48v system that operates much like a golf cart. Thanks

Victron makes great stuff and their forums are the place for help, along with here.

If it's truly fried (note it has a 5 year warranty) and suits your needs i'd replace it like and kind.

Thank you! That's the first good advice I have received. I will try their forum.

Victron offers no technical support except through the dealers.
Who makes an MPPT controller that has good (or any) tech support?
Have you contacted your Victron dealer? It’s my understanding that you can contact any Victron dealer, not just the one you used. Might be helpful if you purchased through Amazon or similar.

Have you contacted your Victron dealer? It’s my understanding that you can contact any Victron dealer, not just the one you used. Might be helpful if you purchased through Amazon or similar.
Yes. I learned that though I bought it from Amazon, the seller was Offgridtec USA. There is no contact info for them but I have sent a message to them through Amazon. I am waiting on a reply that could take 2 days. Thanks

In my experience, it certainly is not Outback. 5 months ago, my FM80 display died and I have never received a tech support explanation or reason and after much hassle I did get the one year old FM80 replaced but it took so long, that in the meantime, my system was down and so I decided to instead purchase a Victron MPPT 150|85 at nearly double the price. Even Outback's user forums were not much help and no one could say for sure what caused this recurring problem with Outback FM80 charge controllers. I also seem to have been a lucky one to get mine replaced by Outback, though at a considerable hassle. From my very poor experience and the very poor tech support and very poor communication from Outback, I personally will forever stay away from their products.

I also prefer how the Victron Solar Charge Controller works than that of the Outback FM80. The series of soft button pushes of the Outback to change settings was enough to drive me mad and so prevented me from even wanting to use it for changing or fine tuning settings. The very poor and nearly non-existent information provided by Outback Tech Support or it's forum, also makes it very difficult to create custom user settings and to know the why and they are nearly mute on how to use them with LiFePO4 batteries, which for beginners, is frustrating as hell.

Maybe these items are now just disposable or to be recycled vs. repaired and that only highly experienced licensed solar technicians should be installing any components vs. DIY'ers? In my experience, the solar industry is constantly shooting itself in the foot with pretty horrible or non-existent tech support and information and much of it is falling behind tech advancements.

Will and others in this forum are of more help than most manufacturers, other than for perhaps the basics, where too much helpers take short cuts and use unknown abbreviations to explain the mundane. Thankfully there is a search function.

There is most likely a problem in your system not related to the solar controller. Since the issue started after the rebuild its probable there is a wiring error or other component failure, (fuse?). A careful review and test of the system with a voltmeter and idealy a clamp on DC current meter is needed. This has already been advised on the other post. ( making two posts on the same problem is confusing to anyone trying to help).

To verify if the controller is faulty, remove all connections to the controller and connect the panels direct to the battery as a temporary test. If the battery voltage readings are as expected and gradually rising, with charge current flow into the battery pack, then indeed the controller is suspect.

Mike

Contact amazon with your warranty claim if the seller won't respond. I went thru a similar situation with an item that isn't related to this field.
Amazon made it right. The manufacturer has same kind of policy as victron, you deal with the seller/dealer and not them directly.

There is most likely a problem in your system not related to the solar controller. Since the issue started after the rebuild its probable there is a wiring error or other component failure, (fuse?). A careful review and test of the system with a voltmeter and idealy a clamp on DC current meter is needed. This has already been advised on the other post. ( making two posts on the same problem is confusing to anyone trying to help).

To verify if the controller is faulty, remove all connections to the controller and connect the panels direct to the battery as a temporary test. If the battery voltage readings are as expected and gradually rising, with charge current flow into the battery pack, then indeed the controller is suspect.

Mike
Thanks Mike. First, this was not a duplicate post. I made this post because I was not getting any advice on fixing my problem and thought I might just need to replace the controller and wanted recommendations on a MFR that provides tech support.
I have tried disconnecting the controller from the solar panels, leaving only the battery connections but it goes dark and I am not able to access it with the Victron Connect app.

If having the Victron connected to the battery and getting no indicator leds or app communication, then it does suggest the unit is faulty.

( I assume you verified with meter the battery volts appeared on the Victron terminals.)

The 5 year warranty will apply and the unit will be replaced .

I am a fan of the Morningstar Prostar controllers. They provide a lot of info and have temperature compensation.

Back