diy solar

diy solar

Pick between these controllers?

Porkpie

Hi folks,

Thanks to all previous posters and commenters, I have found a couple of MPPT options, but I am not 95% confident they will work.

If anybody could help me understand the parameters that are actually critical, I would be very grateful.

There are a lot of constraints I am trying to live within on this project, so please bear with me.
Project is a solar roof on a golf cart. The golf cart is older, and is 36V, which has proven to be less common.

I am trying to stay in a reasonable budget. The first impact of this is I would prefer to use a panel I can buy locally as surplus, instead of ordering panels that would be better suited for the job.

And all of that puts some heavy demands on the SCC, which I am also trying to keep affordable.

I am willing to take a reasonable risk that the charge controller will be a failure, but I would be grateful for your expertise.

So....

Golf cart solar roof means a horizontal panel, so I lose power right off the start.
A panel that is locally available is the Longi LR5-54HPB405, which is the right size to cover the cart.
It has STC numbers of:

Voc 37.15
Vmp 31.2
Imp 13

Since I have 36V batteries, I have been looking for a Buck/Boost MPPT that can handle the amperage.

OPTION 1
This one is sold by Lensun. One real nice thing is it has a cooling fan.

Product Parameters

Nominal Voltage: DC 12V-50V
Maximum Current: 12A
Rated Power: 18V/300W. 36V/450W
Battery Voltage: 24V/34V/48V/60V/72V
working Temperature: -20℃ ~ 60℃

So, the nominal voltage range will cover a lot of panel performance...but what about the amps?
Again, this panel will be flat, at 49.6 degrees north, so I am assuming it is going to miss out on a lot of potential photons. Will that be enough to put the panel output in the safe range for this controller?

The next two controllers are 20A
OPTION 2

This one is the most expensive, but seems like it meets the needs. People in this forum say good things about ECGSOLAX.
There is very little info, like whether it has a fan.
The item listed on eBay says it has an amp range of 11-20. Is that actually too high? Will I have enough amps to make it work?

BUT, when I messaged the seller on AliExpress, they recommened this one:

OPTION 3
Tracer 2206

This one does not seem to have boost. They messaged that it will work for 36V batteries (see picture).
But the picture does not seem to jibe with their webpage.

If anybody could help me understand the best option, I would appreciate it. Thank you

Attachments

• S1d5bc0c092f44da683dca09bcf0c3ba24.jpg
    S1d5bc0c092f44da683dca09bcf0c3ba24.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 2
Tracer is not an option. It doesn't step up, and it only does 12/24V.

I will only purchase from aliexpress if it's the last option on the planet, OR it's a clearly trusted source like the manufacturer's (a well known one) outlet.

In that light, Lensun.

I would go out of your way and pay to ship a panel with a Voc close to 50V. Then you can get a 36V MPPT charge controller and be done.

This Trina 415 would work. Voc of 50.5 and Vmpp 42.5

Edit: this REC 410 would be better Voc 59.2 and Vmpp 49.4

The idea is to get higher voltage on the panel to give the MPPT charge controller some room to work. Or series 2 smaller panels, but again, same idea.

Last edited:
I would go out of your way and pay to ship a panel with a Voc close to 50V. Then you can get a 36V MPPT charge controller and be done.

I disagree. Charge voltage is going to be on the order of 43V. In most conditions, the Vmp will be below that.

NOCT Vmp is a mere 39.7V.

The idea is to get higher voltage on the panel to give the MPPT charge controller some room to work. Or series 2 smaller panels, but again, same idea.

NMOT of 46.6V should work.

Thank you. This was basically Sunshine_Eggo's advice on my first post on this project.

I am not familiar with Canadian solar companies, but I guess I am going to have to spend some time trying to find panels on clearance. Thanks for your input.

I disagree. Charge voltage is going to be on the order of 43V. In most conditions, the Vmp will be below that.

NOCT Vmp is a mere 39.7V.

NMOT of 46.6V should work.

Sunshine_Eggo, thanks again for your advice on this project.

Back