diy solar

diy solar

voc cold weather adjustment

mtmtntop

I am learning about matching components and understand that i need to verify that the voc for the array will not exceed the maximum pv array power spec of the inverter. I live in montana and -30c is not unheard of, and it hit -40 (either c or f) last winter. I planned on using 20 Canadian solar cs 6r 400 ms-hl panels and the still to be released sma sunny boy sbse4.8 inverter because i want the emergency circuit available if the grid goes down (no battery backup planned) the voc for these anels is 36.8 volts. when i calculate the conversion factor at 40 below its 43v per panel. and 43 x 20 panels is 860 volts, far above the inverter limit of 600. do i have to reduce the number of panels to fit this scenario to 12 panels to stay below the 600 volt limit? And 2 other related questions. i thought you could assume 80 to 85 % efficiency of the array in total but don't see that factor brought up anywhere when calculating the cold weather factor. and 2, i also thought that an inverter would "clip" the additional voltage and it would just be produced but unused power. thanks for your help

You have to calculate for the coldest possible temperature.
You need to be below 600 volts.
Clipping does not apply to voltage calculation.
The 80 to 85% efficiency you are referring to does not apply to this calculation.

NEC table 690.7(A) gives a correction factor of 1.25 at -40F
So a Voc of 36.8 x 1.25 = 46 Volts @ -40F

Panel efficiency of 80 to 85%? Cloud effect or cloud lensing can cause the intensity of the light to increase temporarily. Thus increase the output of the panels to 100%. Cloud lensing is caused by ice particles redirecting the light. At times I get 100% of the panel wattage output due to this.

Charge Controllers clip amperage as solar panels are considered a current source, at MPPT voltages and lower. Voltage is not clipped.

Back