diy solar

diy solar

Voltage detector for starting and stopping generator

Achaffee

I have a Growatt SPF 6000T DVM-MPV off-grid inverter. I have been struggling with the dry contacts for generator start, as soon as the contact closes it immediately opens the contact when the generator comes online. I was finally able to get a response from Growatt Support:

"Unfortunately, there is a known issue with the dry contact logic for our DVM inverters that turns the generator off when AC input voltage is detected. There is not currently a fix. I have read in forums of installers using voltage sensing devices in place of dry contact terminals."

So here I am, any suggestions on what to use for a voltage detector that can open and close a relay based on a low and high set voltage for a 48V system?

I have the same issue. The Open Contact in the Growatt Inverter Closes nicely at below 40% SOC LI, but opens right back up again as soon as there is power detected.
It is Shocking that a mass market product has a clear error in the programming , I mean it is even in the manual: Its agravating to see that there is no fix.
I am phasing my Growatt crap out. "Half the price, twice the pain".
1716643688102.png

I have the same issue. The Open Contact in the Growatt Inverter Closes nicely at below 40% SOC LI, but opens right back up again as soon as there is power detected.
It is Shocking that a mass market product has a clear error in the programming , I mean it is even in the manual: Its agravating to see that there is no fix.
I am phasing my Growatt crap out. "Half the price, twice the pain".
View attachment 217531
It must be an issue with a particular model.
All of my Growatts have separate settings for dry contact activation and deactivation.

It must be an issue with a particular model.
All of my Growatts have separate settings for dry contact activation and deactivation.
Tim, They do indeed have different settings for Open Contact Activation and Deactivation. My units is a SPF10000T ; Those are settings 12 and 13 and they are set at 40% and 80% (I have a LI battery).
This Inverter starts the generator nicely at <40% SOC, but as soon as it detects AC input (as described in the manual), the Dry contact switches again, shutting the generator down. 2 seconds later the Dry contact opens again because the SOC is still <40%; and it keeps cycling.....

Tim, They do indeed have different settings for Open Contact Activation and Deactivation. My units is a SPF10000T ; Those are settings 12 and 13 and they are set at 40% and 80% (I have a LI battery).
This Inverter starts the generator nicely at <40% SOC, but as soon as it detects AC input (as described in the manual), the Dry contact switches again, shutting the generator down. 2 seconds later the Dry contact opens again because the SOC is still <40%; and it keeps cycling.....
What is the deactivation set at? If too close, short cycling would be expected.

Just seen that it's set at 80%.
It must be some other setting that is overriding it.

I realize the price is much higher, but the Magnum stand alone AGS work great. They can be added to just about any system. Very simple installation.
Power- ground- run sense- 2 wire start

Just seen that it's set at 80%.
It must be some other setting that is overriding it.
Tim,

The "start- stop behaviour" is actually exactly the way it is described in the manual. See below screenshot from the manual.
I am curious as you seem to not have this issue in your setup. Did you somehow change the settings?

1716909553911.png

Tim,

The "start- stop behaviour" is actually exactly the way it is described in the manual. See below screenshot from the manual.
I am curious as you seem to not have this issue in your setup. Did you somehow change the settings?

View attachment 218209
Mine works as expected.
No issue at all.
It turns on at 48v and turns off at 50v.
It cycled perfectly, almost daily last January.

diy solar

diy solar
Back