diy solar

diy solar

voltage vs capacity

I assume you have a Bluetooth connection to the battery ..... Does the App show current in and current out? If so, does the App have a calibration for the amp readings?
My Bluetooth battery amp readins were off when I first got it causing it to track the % incorrectly. I calibrated the Amp in and Amp out and it has tracked correctly since doing that.
Post #9

Hi

Yes there is BT and it shows amps, but right now only outgoing, no ingoing aamps.
Cloudy/foggy, no sun since weeks. Right now i got 90% SOC.
I got my Lamps on 12V and my hole shack.(Amateurradio).
I think in the next few weeks, there is no charging with PV, only discharge.
My Repeatercontroller takes about 400ma 24Hrs/day.
Yesterday/Tuesday 20Wh/day, Monday 10Wh.
Sometimes it comes more, but not much about 100Wh/day.

Bye
Timm

Last edited:
Hi

the Bluetooth show one current status.
-1.6A shows that 1.6amps going out, and 1.6A means that 1.6amps going in.
Right now it shows 81% with 12.9V, what you think, is that a correct behavior?
No, it has no calibration button.

Bye
Timm

Calibration is done by charge voltage.

Meaning you have to charge to "x" voltage till the battery accepts 0 amp or near 0. Doing this "should" balance the cells (if needed), sync capacity (%) to voltage.

Something to remember is that even with nothing hooked to the battery you're still going to have a draw from the bms (how much ?, you would have see from you battery unhooked for a period of time).Maybe someone will chime in that can answer that.

I still think 12.9v at 80% +/- seems low which brings the question up again are you fully charging your battery so it can recalibrate capacity?

Hi

you mean the Battery must fully charged every week?
No that can´t be.
My Battery where charged with the grid charger, if it goes below 50%, but from my last post to yesterday it goes from 100% to 80% like i wrote yesterday, why i should charge my battery to 100% if the SOC is by 85% or so?
ON Nov 26th my Battery was fully charged and now it says 80%, so why i should my Battery Fully charge if the SOC goes below 90%?
Thats about 3-4 Weeks.

Bye
Timm

No, it depends on your use or when the battery start to show discrepancies in capacity. If you don't have high draw items on the battery don't worry % and just watch voltage.

Please don't take this the wrong way but not all dropins are created equal. :(

You have 200ah.
What is your daily use?
What is your constant draw?

You said main charging is done by solar, here in lies the problem, you need sun to recharge and during late fall-winter-early spring it struggles to do that as you are seeing. Also taking account longitude/ latitude. So maybe you have to think about adding some more solar to off set but this still leaves the issue of will it charge at 14.4 (or whatever is required/ recommended by manufacturer).

Last edited:
Hi

You have 200ah.
Yes
What is your daily use?
It differs from day to day.
Sometimes 1-3amps a few minutes
Sometimes 1-3amps 30minutes
Sometimes 15amps a few minutes

400ma

I can´t increase the solarpower, no more place.

Bye
Timm

Right now i got -4.7amps.
My IC-9700 in RX-Mode
a 15watt lamp
My IPad is charging
My Smartphone is charging

78% and 12,8V.

Bye
Timm

@timmbo
There is chemistry involved in what you are seeing. Most electrical stuff is looked at like what you see is the absolute truth, & in most cases that is the correct perspective.
With batteries there is another factor involved & that is chemistry. While electrically we see consistent results, once we add chemistry time becomes a variable in our observations. It takes time for the chemistry to reach equilibrium. When the charge stops the chemistry is still working but the force causing the reaction is removed. This results in the chemistry reverting back to its previous state. We observe this phenomenon as a reduction in battery voltage right after the charge stops & takes time to stabilize.
The reverse is also true following discharge, the battery voltage recovers as the chemistry seeks equilibrium.
So voltage sag after charge & voltage gain after discharge are normal observations.

Hi

You have 200ah.
Yes
What is your daily use?
It differs from day to day.
Sometimes 1-3amps a few minutes
Sometimes 1-3amps 30minutes
Sometimes 15amps a few minutes

400ma

I can´t increase the solarpower, no more place.

Bye
Timm
Are the bolded numbers (AC 120/240) or DC?

Hi

All DC.
What i have thought right now is, that i got 400mA discharging for 24Hrs and 7D/week, but the BMS don´t schow me this, think the BMS "sees" the Discharging above 500mA.
The App told me Standby, but this is not true, because of the 400mA, also at night.
Maybe this is why its nit correct?

Bye
Timm

That's similar to the issue I orginally had with mine .... except the App for mine had the abilitiy to calibrate the amp reading. ( I had to upgrade to the "pro" version of the app to get that capability.)

Back