diy solar

diy solar

Voltronic inverter power sources

iurly

Hi,
I recently installed an OEM-branded Voltronic Axpert MAX 7200 inverter, together with 2x Pylontech US3000C battery packs.
To start off, I'm not quite sure what category this inverter fits into: I believe it's technically an off-grid inverter which can also draw power from the net, so perhaps hybrid is the right term for it. Compared to other machines, it can also work without an accumulator so that makes it even more special I believe.
At any rate, I've been trying to understand the basic working modes and the functioning logic governing them, but I'm still a bit puzzled so I hope someone can shed some light as to why I'm seeing the non-obvious behaviors listed below. So here it goes:

1) On the first couple of days I did not install the batteries just yet. As I came to discover, the inverter was working fine in bypass mode, drawing energy from the solar panels and the network alike. The only weird thing I noticed was that at times my external CT clamp was reporting some power (a few hundred watts) being injected into the input grid.
My assumption was that in bypass mode and lacking an accumulator, the inverter needed some buffer to absorb fluctuations in consumption and the public network was the only way to achieve that. So is my assumption correct? Is that expected in such a setup? Most of all, could that be illegal in some countries?

2) On the following days I connected the battery packs, too. I was still struggling to understand the various settings so I'm not entirely sure what setup I was working with. However, I was still seeing some power being occasionally pushed to the grid. I fail to understand why that could be the case.

3) After a few more days I settled with what I now think is the final setup. As I was not getting any usable information out of WatchPower, I decided to got for solar assistant. What I now find very awkward is that if I switch to Solar-Utility-Battery priority with the batteries fully charged (100%), the inverter stops drawing power from PV and it only takes it (all) from grid, no matter how much power is potentially available from PV. With batteries charged at 95% everything works as expected: all available power is drawn from PV and the rest (if needed) comes from the grid. Same thing apparently happens if I power off the battery packs.
So it's as if a fully charged battery means: "don't you dare ever thinking about pushing any power this way, for crying out loud!"

So, having said all the above... what basic concept am I missing here?
Thank you in advance!

If your device can push power to the grid than your utility company could have a problem with it. Even if it is not supposed to due to a limiter. Likely they would want you to have an interconnect agreement. From what little I have read about such grid assist things is they are not 100% about not feeding back to the grid as loads shift about.

I have no experience with your device to know if #3 is normal operation or not.

1. this what is commonly reffered to as a grid-assisted inverter
2. these inverters will always pull some energy from the grid, especially when thereś no batteries connected.
as a peak load bigger than what the panel can deliver appears , the inverter will switch to grid, as it cannot completely do pv ( dc ) and ac mixed

there was a firmware bug around this.. if your running the latest that should be fixed

3. this was also a known firmware bug, please do check if you see the same kind of behavior if you use SBU

your inverter was the first one of a brand new series they brought out at the time ( 7.2 max, 8000 Max and recently 11k max), so depending on you firmware version, there may be some software bugs present

i have uploaded the newest firmware for the 8000 max's in the resource section, how ever that shouldnt be used on the 7.2, but if will give you a naming convention, which allows for some "google hunting" ...

happy hunting

So the Voltronic Max series aren't truly "off grid" inverters and would be a good way to piss of the power company (which wants a lab test done of each inverter model before they'd allow it to be connected to the grid as a "hybrid" inverter)?

Maybe I just need to find out how much that testing at Technical University of Kosice's lab actually costs. It is a fairly ridiculous thing that the grid operator in 1/3 of Slovakia wants each device tested by their own lab. :-/

Last edited:
So the Voltronic Max series aren't truly "off grid" inverters and would be a good way to piss of the power company (which wants a lab test done of each inverter model before they'd allow it to be connected to the grid as a "hybrid" inverter)?

Maybe I just need to find out how much that testing at Technical University of Kosice's lab actually costs. It is a fairly ridiculous thing that the grid operator in 1/3 of Slovakia wants each device tested by their own lab. :-/
this series are grid-assisted..
the can take power from the grid ( pass through or charging), but never send back.

therefore the are nothing more than a connected device to the powercompany.

the do have thrue hybrids, which are tested and approved by TUV to the eu standards, therefor eu rules trump local rules

this series are grid-assisted..
the can take power from the grid ( pass through or charging), but never send back.

therefore the are nothing more than a connected device to the powercompany.

the do have thrue hybrids, which are tested and approved by TUV to the eu standards, therefor eu rules trump local rules
But what about the power getting injected back to the grid that @iurly reported seeing?

Would this be something our smart meter would detect, and the distribution line operator would be ticked off over?

Back