diy solar

diy solar

Wall mount weight issue vs Reliability -- Enphase vs homegrid

dricket

I'm looking for ~30 kWh backup via an LFP battery with 10+ kW of continuous power for my newly all-electric house, with about 20 kW of solar to be added this spring.

I like Homegrid because it sits on the ground, vs. hanging 1000 lbs of Enphase batteries on the exterior wall of my house. The house was built in the 1950s, wood frame, single story, in fine condition, but I'm in California and so I want to plan for an eventual large earthquake, and I would feel stupid for making my house collapse due to that weight.

On the other hand, I like the Enphase battery because I'm more certain it will work with the enphase microinverters. I found this thread where homegrid+sol-ark is not charging from solar during an outage:
And I really don't want to mess around with firmware, I just want the system to work 100% reliably.

So I'm stuck deciding between reliability of enphase vs. ground-mount stability of homegrid.

I've also looked at Panasonic's LFP battery, but I'm not sure if they're actually shipping.

Any tips would be very much appreciated!
Thanks.

If you want to use Enphase and are concerned about your house, can you reinforce a section of an exterior wall to alleviate this concern? A call to a structural engineer might be in order?

I went with HomeGrid for the same reason. I didn't want all that weight on my wall regardless. I do like things in my garage or shop being off the floor but the HomeGrid setup is relatively small in my opinion. I did see someone online put casters on the feet so that is an option.

I didn't like the enphase batts as they just didn't have the output to run a whole electric home. Its hard to beat the startup and continuous wattage of HomeGrid. Its more expense than server rack solutions like EG4s but I like its clean look and "approved" integration with my sol-ark 15k.

Should be getting it all installed in a few weeks.

ground, vs. hanging 1000 lbs of Enphase batteries on the exterior wall of my house.
Strange that challenge would guide your choice.
What about use a small steel/alu frame to fix the batteries or simpler, reinforce the wall where are fix the batteries?
They can be mount as low than 6 inches from the ground so a really small frame can do the job.

Back