diy solar

diy solar

Deciding between Victron, Enphase and possibly Sol-ark. Input?

My two cents. Go with the Victron system.

I have property in an off-grid community and several people bought the sol-ark 12k… and regret it. If you run any 15 amp tools, you might trip your breaker. A Sol-Ark 12k is actually 2 - 4500w inverters that you can run together to get 240. A 15-amp chop saw will draw 4500w on start up… tripping your system.

Victron is easy to expand, fairly easy to DIY, and has great support.

If I were to do it again, I’d still do Victron.

I’d also look into the Sinclair Ground Mounts. They are really slick and I have enjoyed mine.

HighTechLabs recently did a turnkey system for someone. You could check with him about a Victron or Sol-ark version, or even your vendor in Mississippi. That would mark it a lot easier for an electrician to install.

HighTechLabs recently did a turnkey system for someone. You could check with him about a Victron or Sol-ark version, or even your vendor in Mississippi. That would mark it a lot easier for an electrician to install.
I don't understand what you mean by this.

I don't understand what you mean by this.
Edit: actually did mean to post here. I don’t have experience with any of your picks, but I’m considering Victron for my system, primarily because of support and reliability. The point of my post was to say that I think you can overcome any installation complexities with a turnkey solution if your installer isn’t familiar with the system that you pick.

Last edited:
Edit: actually did mean to post here. I don’t have experience with any of your picks, but I’m considering Victron for my system, primarily because of support and reliability. The point of my post was to say that I think you can overcome any installation complexities with a turnkey solution if your installer isn’t familiar with the system that you pick.
Yeah the dealer in MS is very nice and very knowledgeable. He will put the system together and I will get his input on how to make it easier for the electrician. I already sent the electrician a youtube video made by @Will Prowse when he said he was trying to research Victron installations.

Yeah the dealer in MS is very nice and very knowledgeable. He will put the system together and I will get his input on how to make it easier for the electrician. I already sent the electrician a youtube video made by @Will Prowse when he said he was trying to research Victron installations.
Use Current Connected not that MS dealer.

Another option is the Solis S6 paired with a Pylontech Force H1 ( 21 Kwh ) for under 12K USD, finally shipping.

I just got the above S6 inverter ( 11.4kw ) 2 weeks ago and initial impressions are its a solid unit can do anything the Sol-Ark 15K within a few hundred watts at 1/3 the cost. All UL certifications including UL9540 with the linked battery.

Here is the spec sheet with very impressive surge ratings, manual here as well

Best feature is NO FANS, NO NOISE just a huge heatsink.

I've ordered a lower cost battery, Seplos High Voltage Hiten-20.4 about half the cost of the Plyontech similar capacity but lacks UL9540, be a couple of months before I receive and run it through its paces.
Not familiar with solis.
Seems like a decent inverter.
I’m guessing you program via an app.
Didn’t see any screens.
What is the capacity of the 4 MPPT channels?
Let us know how it performs..

Not familiar with solis.
Seems like a decent inverter.
I’m guessing you program via an app.
Didn’t see any screens.
What is the capacity of the 4 MPPT channels?
Let us know how it performs..

• Solis is one of the top global manufactures of Solar GT inverters and has backup options since 2017 ( outside USA ) and 2020 ( USA ) models, I've been running the 5G for 3 years, zero hardware issues, UL9540 compliant.

• The USA S6 model has an app that uses bluetooth, I am actually liking it much more ( surprised myself! ) than the older model ( 5G ) with screen and endless menus, app has a one step save/restore feature of all settings.

• All MPPT channels are the same 16A maximum current, 80-520V operational, 600V max. The maximum recommend 18,240W for Solar in the 11.4kw unit, which makes sense as that is the same as the surge rating ( 10 seconds ) for the AC backup port.

• It will be some time before fully vetted, currently still running my dual Solis 5G's and only a single of my 4, 3500w identical solar strings into the S6. First step was to get my monitoring platform working which is modbus based, which was almost no changes as the Modbus map is unchanged for the parameters I read. Next is working on a python script to allow me to use the BYD BatteryBox HV to work with the S6 short term ( custom canbus translation using USR-CANET200 so its simple python scripting )

Last edited:
  • Solis is one of the top global manufactures of Solar GT inverters and has backup options since 2017 ( outside USA ) and 2020 ( USA ) models, I've been running the 5G for 3 years, zero hardware issues, UL9540 compliant.

• The USA S6 model has an app that uses bluetooth, I am actually liking it much more ( surprised myself! ) than the older model ( 5G ) with screen and endless menus, app has a one step save/restore feature of all settings.

• All MPPT channels are the same 16A maximum current, 80-520V operational, 600V max. The maximum recommend 18,240W for Solar in the 11.4kw unit, which makes sense as that is the same as the surge rating ( 10 seconds ) for the AC backup port.

• It will be some time before fully vetted, currently still running my dual Solis 5G's and only a single of my 4, 3500w identical solar strings into the S6. First step was to get my monitoring platform working which is modbus based, which was almost no changes as the Modbus map is unchanged for the parameters I read. Next is working on a python script to allow me to use the BYD BatteryBox HV to work with the S6 short term ( custom canbus translation using USR-CANET200 so its simple python scripting ) until I get the 20 kWh HV Seplos unit.

Doing this in steps, but looking like working towards adding another S6 eached paired with a 20kWh Seplos, in parallel for 27kW continuous and surge ability of 38kW 10 second and 41kW 300 ms respectively so basically close to full home backup for ~15k usd. I use a split panel main with the 5G now, so just moving some 240 circuits to take advantage of the higher power.
Sounds like a good unit.
Keep us informed how it works for you..

Use Current Connected not that MS dealer.
What do they bring to the table that the MS dealer can't? I like the guy in MS, he is very responsive and since I have done sales myself I hate to give the sale to a new entity when the guy in MS is the one that has taken his time to work with me thus far.

What do they bring to the table that the MS dealer can't? I like the guy in MS, he is very responsive and since I have done sales myself I hate to give the sale to a new entity when the guy in MS is the one that has taken his time to work with me thus far.
Never mind, you must not have been on the forum long enough to know why anyone would recommend Current Connected over anyone else. Ignorance is bliss; carry on. Buy everything but your inverter from the MS guy if you feel bad about not giving him the sale. Get the inverters from CC for the 10-year warranty. Or maybe your MS guy can include a 5 extra year warranty for no charge. I'd still go with CC based on everyone's experience working with Dexter.

Never mind, you must not have been on the forum long enough to know why anyone would recommend Current Connected over anyone else. Ignorance is bliss; carry on. Buy everything but your inverter from the MS guy if you feel bad about not giving him the sale. Get the inverters from CC for the 10-year warranty. Or maybe your MS guy can include a 5 extra year warranty for no charge. I'd still go with CC based on everyone's experience working with Dexter.
Yeah I am not on this forum a lot, I never heard of Current Connected before. I will look into it.

Yeah I am not on this forum a lot, I never heard of Current Connected before. I will look into it.
There's a post in the Vendor Review section, I think, called "How can Current Connected Improve" or something like that. It's worth a scan.

Victron 6kW with 15kW battery (no mount or install) ($13k)
Sol-Ark 5.4kW with 15kW battery, rack mount, emp hardened, and install included ($32k)
Enphase 8kW with 10kW battery, rack mount, and install included ($32k)

This is an off-grid system that will be professionally installed in a new build house.
For the price when you say "professionally installed" I think the Schneider XW deserves a look

I don't have one, I have a cheap EG4 inverter but will likely move past the Voltronic (MPP, some EG4) and Luxpower (current EG4 line) stuff when I go full scale. And just not seeing good stuff on the Sol-Arks unfortunately - especially surge capacity ala the above linked video. 6.8K Schneider runs circles around "12K" Sol-Ark.

Don't see too many people unhappy with their Victron stuff either seems to be quality.

This guy is definitely not the one to based your assumptions on.
Lots of people on here run Sol-arks with zero issues.
Not saying they generally don't run fine but their single leg overload capacity is extremely limited. Probably fine if that isn't an issue for you. Let's just say it won't work for me to have an inverter that can't start a 120v air compressor... even my cheap EG6000EX would be fine under that load. That is just one of many videos explaining the overload and imbalance limitations of the Sol-Ark. If you can work in those constraints I'm sure it is a fine product. For that cost, I cannot. Same sentiment as post #41 and others.

Main point was the Schneider units seems like a good value.

Not saying they generally don't run fine but their single leg overload capacity is extremely limited. Probably fine if that isn't an issue for you. Let's just say it won't work for me to have an inverter that can't start a 120v air compressor... even my cheap EG6000EX would be fine under that load. That is just one of many videos explaining the overload and imbalance limitations of the Sol-Ark. If you can work in those constraints I'm sure it is a fine product. For that cost, I cannot. Same sentiment as post #41 and others.

Main point was the Schneider units seems like a good value.
No doubt Schneider makes a good unit.

The 12ks don’t have such low level tripping imbalances anymore.

Those were some of the first units and With old firmware.

Most of those early test by this guy and David Poz and others were suspect at best.

Funny thing is David Poz went with EG4 after bashing Sol-Ark and praised EG4 mercilessly until Schneider threw him a 6848 now he runs 2 of those.

All of that was easily fixed with an auto transformer if your panel was so imbalanced that it caused issue.
Newer firmware has resolved most of that now.

Take these YT experts with a grain of salt and find out who is supplying them gear.

As far as post # 41 I suspect they had earlier units with old firmware or horrific unbalanced panels.

Too many people running these units successfully to lump them into failed architecture.

The 15k is a totally different animal altogether.

Back