diy solar

diy solar

Wall plate internal wall

cruelneo

Any help would be appreciated, I have a delta pro ultra in a closet next to my transfer switch next to a panel. My question is I have a crawl space and would like to run solar dc wire 10awg with a ground mount system I am going to setup. Now for my question is there a wall plate or a way to pull the solar wires through the wall as I don’t have access to external wall? Is it within code to have solar wires within walls I read that it needs to be in metal conduit but I want to confirm and do I need to have metal conduit running through crawl space also? Thanks for the help in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 7
My understanding is that DC wiring must be in metal type conduit inside the house, rigid or FMC.

You will likely want to run THHN or THWN inside the conduit.

This applies to attic, basement, crawl space, above garage ceiling, in wall etc.

Last edited:
My understanding is that DC wiring must be in metal type conduit inside the house, rigid or FMC.

You will likely want to run THHN or THWN inside the conduit.

This applies to attic, basement, crawl space, above garage ceiling, in wall etc.

Also just to confirm you would run solar dc with thhn or thwn inside the conduit instead of pv wire?

Also just to confirm you would run solar dc with thhn or thwn inside the conduit instead of pv wire?

Yes, it’s a waste of the more expensive PV wire with the thick UV rated insulation.

You would also need a larger conduit for that wire (due to fill limitations) and it still would be more difficult to pull.

Last edited:
Thanks for the YouTube post it explains a lot, I never thought to run THHN with the lower amps I can run 18awg and that is super cheap. Thanks! Unsure why but I always thoughts I had to use PV wire. Is there any limit to thhn I mean my system will have max volts of 400 and amps 13 so 18 awg should be fine.

for code compliance your DC wires must be in metal from the point it enters the building until it connects to the MPPT. So EMT from the outside, up through the wall, into a metal box with a metal cover on it and a metal whip to where it connects. The faceplate just has a center round hole in it for the MC to connect to it with a generic MC to knockout connector. You can get it by the foot with wire in it at home depot or anyplace that sells wire by the foot. Make sure to get the connector for the open end so any sharp edges are covered. This all needs to have a ground attached to it so it isn't floating.

For the THHN - you need to run 14awg or larger - typically the THHN at the hardware store is 75c and good to 15amps max. You can get 90c THHN with a higher ampacity.

See this post for an explaination.

Note - you cannot run MC outside unless it is the water tight version.

The in metal requirement means the isolator needs to be in a metal case. Vevor sells some that are everything needed but they aren't UL listed. It will however stop a fire from shorted cables.

Also - fuse/breaker is not required on a single string nor is an isolator since it is ground mount.

for code compliance your DC wires must be in metal from the point it enters the building until it connects to the MPPT. So EMT from the outside, up through the wall, into a metal box with a metal cover on it and a metal whip to where it connects. The faceplate just has a center round hole in it for the MC to connect to it with a generic MC to knockout connector. You can get it by the foot with wire in it at home depot or anyplace that sells wire by the foot. Make sure to get the connector for the open end so any sharp edges are covered. This all needs to have a ground attached to it so it isn't floating.

For the THHN - you need to run 14awg or larger - typically the THHN at the hardware store is 75c and good to 15amps max. You can get 90c THHN with a higher ampacity.

See this post for an explaination.

Note - you cannot run MC outside unless it is the water tight version.

The in metal requirement means the isolator needs to be in a metal case. Vevor sells some that are everything needed but they aren't UL listed. It will however stop a fire from shorted cables.

Also - fuse/breaker is not required on a single string nor is an isolator since it is ground mount.
Thanks is exactly what I needed

diy solar

diy solar
Back