diy solar

diy solar

Want to purchase Solar Panels from China and import to USA...

HLB

Hello DIY Solar People,

I am looking at panels direct from China. For my purpose these will be ground mounted so I want the larger ones in the 500 + watt range and mono-facial. I have been quoted 15.2 cents per watt in palette quantity of 31 units. With $685 shipping that would work out to 19.1 cents per watt. There would still be customs broker fees, customs fees, tariff, and oceanic insurance to deal with.

Ok. I would like to know what you people have encountered when coming direct from China. What about the tariff? What about customs brokers? What about the quality of the panels?

Thank you,
HLB

What about the tariff? What about customs brokers? What about the quality of the panels?
Get a quote delivered to an address. Customs crap is a mess and costly if you do it.

Have a link to the panels?

Use a credit card for the most safety.

31 units. With $685 shipping that would work out to 19.1 cents per watt.
500W x $.191 x 31 units = $2960
That would be a big array for cheap. Or an expensive lesson if CC does not cover your back.

Hello DIY Solar People,

I am looking at panels direct from China. For my purpose these will be ground mounted so I want the larger ones in the 500 + watt range and mono-facial. I have been quoted 15.2 cents per watt in palette quantity of 31 units. With $685 shipping that would work out to 19.1 cents per watt. There would still be customs broker fees, customs fees, tariff, and oceanic insurance to deal with.

Ok. I would like to know what you people have encountered when coming direct from China. What about the tariff? What about customs brokers? What about the quality of the panels?

Thank you,
HLB
If you are going to buy anything from China make sure it’s DDP.
They cover all shipping and customs this way.

Even then you are sending a lot of money to someone via wire or other means.
Sometimes very hard to get back if at all.

Not something I would do but that my opinion.

The savings are usually not worth it.

Reactions: HLB
"What is the tariff on Chinese solar panels?
Some solar cells and modules exported from Southeast Asia could now face tariffs as high as 254% in June 2024, after the Commerce Department determined that companies operating in Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam are avoiding the longstanding duties."

Thanks for you interest and advice. Here is more information. I have not made a decision on these panels. Let us see if the file I attached loads correctly. They are Rosen Solar RS-144HC SeriesFramed 144 Layout Mono Module PERC Half-Cell: 540-560W.

I finally managed to talk to a Customs Broker. Let me tell you, for the port of New Orleans, that is not easy. One did not do Customs or Freight Forwarding any more. The second and third had disconnected phones. The fourth would not call me back. The US Customs and Border Patrol would not call me back. The limited information I could obtain suggests a tariff of 27.5%. I will check on the 254% mentioned above. There is a $350 bond to post and several fees. Rosen said they usually do CFR shipping which is Cost + Freight, with no insurance. I can get the Customs Broker to do the insurance. I have ordered batteries DDP (Delivered, duty paid) before, and that worked well, but I have trouble with big trucks accessing my place, so I thought I could just get the 2000 pound palette put on my trailer at the port and haul it home. That could change.

If we pretend that these produce the maximum output of 560 watts and with all costs they run around 30 cents per watt, how does that compare with domestic panels? Are these likely of the same quality as the branded ones domestically? Do the domestic people just order a spec panel from the low bidder in China and put their name on it, or are they linked to one known quality producer? Let me know if you all have more ideas on this.

HLB

Attachments

• RS-144HC Mono Series 540-560W.pdf
    874.4 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for you interest and advice. Here is more information. I have not made a decision on these panels. Let us see if the file I attached loads correctly. They are Rosen Solar RS-144HC SeriesFramed 144 Layout Mono Module PERC Half-Cell: 540-560W.

I finally managed to talk to a Customs Broker. Let me tell you, for the port of New Orleans, that is not easy. One did not do Customs or Freight Forwarding any more. The second and third had disconnected phones. The fourth would not call me back. The US Customs and Border Patrol would not call me back. The limited information I could obtain suggests a tariff of 27.5%. I will check on the 254% mentioned above. There is a $350 bond to post and several fees. Rosen said they usually do CFR shipping which is Cost + Freight, with no insurance. I can get the Customs Broker to do the insurance. I have ordered batteries DDP (Delivered, duty paid) before, and that worked well, but I have trouble with big trucks accessing my place, so I thought I could just get the 2000 pound palette put on my trailer at the port and haul it home. That could change.

If we pretend that these produce the maximum output of 560 watts and with all costs they run around 30 cents per watt, how does that compare with domestic panels? Are these likely of the same quality as the branded ones domestically? Do the domestic people just order a spec panel from the low bidder in China and put their name on it, or are they linked to one known quality producer? Let me know if you all have more ideas on this.

HLB
I honestly have no idea.

That big of a panel is usually considered commercial.

That’s a good price.

Don’t have any shipping experience other than with a freight forwarding company and DDP.

Obviously business do this but they know how.

If you can find an importer willing to share information that might help.

The more you can mitigate your loses then it might be worth it.

I’m just hesitant to send several Thousand $ to China and hope I get something in return with no overseeing authority.
It’s just your word against theirs.

I wish you luck!!

I suggest you try to find a friend or business with a warehouse and loading facilities or a large enough place with easy large truck access. You had the batteries delivered to your place, DDP. Have the panels delivered to this warehouse or large place, DDP. Then deal with getting them from this place to your place yourself. Doing anything at the port or doing your own customs will add on so many “garbage fees” that will raise the cost as high as if you had used FedEx air to your door. I know this from hard experience. Chinese importers generally know how to deal with all this. Don’t try to do it yourself or using a broker.
However there are some instances where customs gets problematic. You have to be prepared to write it all off as an expensive lesson - that’s the harsh reality.

Buying “locally” involves buying from guys who buy from China, slap their names on the panels/items, and who have learned to play the system. Typically by ordering a full container delivered direct to their own warehouse. Customs deals with full containers much different from how they deal with partial loads.
Your confidence level with your Chinese supplier is also essential. I would only deal thru AliBaba with a first order that big. Again, you need to be comfortable that there is risk, unlike buying from Costco. That’s why you can save quite big.

HLB

These panels have a Temp. Coefficient of Power of -0.35%/C, and are average, at best.

"What is the tariff on Chinese solar panels?
Some solar cells and modules exported from Southeast Asia could now face tariffs as high as 254% in June 2024, after the Commerce Department determined that companies operating in Cambodia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam are avoiding the longstanding duties."
Here is a link about the 254%:
"Biden suspended new duties on the affected solar panels through June 2024 to give the industry more time to ramp up domestic solar manufacturing."
Maybe they just need to turn the Solyndra factory back on. There must be a switch somewhere.

This one says which companies:

That would be funny if we actually did that. One of the Chinese companies told the feds, essentially, Asta la vista, baby.

HLB

Here is a link about the 254%:
"Biden suspended new duties on the affected solar panels through June 2024 to give the industry more time to ramp up domestic solar manufacturing."
Maybe they just need to turn the Solyndra factory back on. There must be a switch somewhere.

This one says which companies:

That would be funny if we actually did that. One of the Chinese companies told the feds, essentially, Asta la vista, baby.

HLB
I don't do politics in a forum for DIY solar.

No, I am not doing politics. Just saying that the United States can not do what the are saying they will do and have it work. I does not matter who said or did it.

HLB
China and other countries are looking to build solar panel plants in the US because of the big tax benefit and so many customers here. Avoid the tariffs and transportation costs that way.

You can get a pallet of 31 panels from a US warehouse for $0.34 watt. About $0.41 delivered.

550W bifacials.
I see the bifacials are exempt from tariff:

That would make them considerably less expensive. I am also wondering how much of the 550 watts is from the rear cells. If you don't have a good back side light reflection then you will only be getting front side output - maybe not 550 watts.

HLB

HLB
Sir may I ask which batteries did you import from china I am trying to do the same

Thanks
Yash

Back