diy solar

diy solar

Watching water boil+paint dry = first charge

Skypower

Solar Wizard
Commissioned my third battery build and like always a little drama. The batteries arrived from Eel batteries in 4 days and 4 of the sixteen cells were damaged. They were dropped upside down and the 2 bolt terminals were bent almost touching the case and others were dented by an nimrod that welded the special terminals on. After documenting and photographing, to Eel’s credit, three days later I received 4 replacements. Now the weirdness: One cell that was pristine looking with the same QR code as a few others was 95mv lower than the others. Figured it must have missed the shipping/storage charge. So I gave it a charge and it seemed hungry and I stopped at 3.310 Volts, about 13mv over the others and counted on it to drop at rest, which it did, -.006mv. Internal resistance exactly the same as the others, close enough. Rrrrrighht. I took my inverters off line and put the house on grid so I could play/charge. I had brought the other two batteries to the same state of charge so I could bring all three up together and knowing that my lowest charge current total is 4 amps divided by three so I knew I could really reduce the charge in the “knee” to give the 2amp balance JK a chance to have a go at it. Well I started a charge and got it up to 90 amps (30per battery) and quickly realized the that odd cell needed some help and was hungry. (Reinforces the meaning, voltage is NO state of charge with Lifepo4). So I put a power supply on that cell to keep it in equilibrium with the rest and nursemaided it on the way up, keeping it within 3mv of the average and after a while tapered the current to nothing. The bulk was at 55.1 but I moved the float up to 55. When it arrived at bulk I had already reduced the overall charge to 4 amps and the delta was 170mv. Luckily, two low cells were next to each other so I helped them up with the power supply again. 14 hours later it looks good at .003 delta. Disabled the charge/discharge on the other two batteries to let them go to rest while I hold the new kid overnight at 55.1 to learn it’s lesson. Time will tell.IMG_0761.jpegIMG_0762.png

Last edited:
I haven't built a battery and not sure I will end up doing so, but after having wired up our camp trailer for solar, added AC outlets and a manual changeover switch, I now have great appreciation for clean and tidy wiring. That's a beautiful job you did there. Wish I had some photos to share, but suffice to say that my wiring looks like beauty and the beast. Some of it is beautiful (at least to me) and some of it is downright ugly in terms of cable management. 12v wiring sucks, lol.

But your thread title caught my eye because I just spent the last few weeks installing said new solar system (second version after learning from my mistakes the first time) and at 10pm last night it was complete. 3 hours later my wife drove off with it for a long trip, on which I'll join her later. It was dark when the panels were finally plugged in and I flipped the PV cutoff switch to on and so I never got to see it in action. She's somewhere two states away now and I can't be there to see how the new system is performing other than no complaints from her about it so far (other than one of the rooftop flexible panels nearly ripped off, but that's another story). It will be over a month before I can join her and see how the system works in the wild, lol.

Yeah I saw that post about the near blow away. Talk about by a hanging by a thread?
We got lucky. Could have been much worse. No one hurt and the panel seems to still work, just a bummer that it's all banged up and $25 of good plastic is now gone with the wind. And lesson learned about how thinking clearly goes downhill when rushing on too little sleep.

It’ll be interesting of that trouble cell pops back up after a few cycles or the JK can keep it in line.

It’ll be interesting of that trouble cell pops back up after a few cycles or the JK can keep it in line.
Should be interesting. At balance, that cell was smack in the average cell voltage and the least problematic. I’m more interested in what it’ll do around the mid to low end of the slope where I found it. The battery has been resting for 4 hours and turned off the balance during this time to see what happens and the delta has been between.001 and .002. Going to turn on the balance switch( balance start is at 3.42) and run it. Fingers crossed.

Way better than I thought. Ran it down to 50% and the delta never got worse than.006 that I know of. Then at end of charge it got to .016 and got down to .002 in 12 minutes. It played along nicely with the other batteries all through the run. Two things; The voltage needed adjustment in the app at first and the state of charge was perfect all the way through, which was confusing because the other two bms’s took several cycles to learn but then again this is a slightly different bms, it’s a 20 cell versus the 24s. The blue is the new one. Green temperature has always read 5 degrees off. IMG_0766.pngIMG_0769.png

What app/BMS is that for? Looks very nice. Not sure I'll ever build a battery, but the more I read and learn, the more I think I might like to try it sometime.

And you get to see another color bar if you spend some serious change on another battery?
Not me.
I don't have my BMS's connected to SA. I have my shunt connected to it. And currently, you can't do both.

Not me.
I don't have my BMS's connected to SA. I have my shunt connected to it. And currently, you can't do both.
I’m hoping that they’ll address that in the future. I’m actually surprised with the accuracy of the JK’s. Many have said that they are pretty rough in terms of SOC. The first two were off in respect of voltage and current and the new one was off in voltage. Luckily they can be calibrated in the app and I’m pretty sure that’s made the difference. I’ve used up to three coulometers in series and the two bms’ were never more than 2% from the average of the meters. This meter is pretty good (Hall effect not shunt) but is off if it doesn’t get to reset to 100% SOC after a few days but the bms’s are still closer. IMG_0771.jpeg

diy solar

diy solar
Back