diy solar

diy solar

Well pump

ZPowers

I’m getting a well drilled at my off grid property and trying to figure out if i need to get a groundfos well pump or not. My driller says they use either flowise or groundfos. My system runs on a 6000xp with 8 x 400 watt panels and battery backup. If my inverter will handle the start up wattage and i’ll install a pressure tank then why wouldn’t a standard well system work? I’m not sure I understand the reasoning of getting a more solar specific well pump?

I'm offgrid, solar powered. I use a Grundfos SQ-5 Soft-start 120V deep well pump. This is on a 120V/15A circuit with CGFI.
Soft-start prevents a big surge which is really important for solar/inverter driven systems.
My pump is 240' feet deep, pushes to a 50 Gal Pressure tank in the pumphouse then 75' to house.
Cut in is set to 45psi & cutout set to 52psi, you never actually notice the pressure drop in the house.
At startup it is 550W and stages up to 1200W by the time it reaches cutoff. I have observed this directly with my monitoring systems.

The soft-start Grunfos Pumps like these are considered as Top of the Line and absolutely suitable for offgrid at ALL levels. A lot of the farmers around here use the larger version and quite a few have solar + now days.

Hope it helps, Good Luck

First I'll say I don't know anything about the 6000xp, and you didn't say how big your battery is.

You also didn't say the size (horsepower) of whatever pump you are going to use. That is critical to know the power pulled by the pump.

As @Steve_S suggested, getting a soft start Grundfos is probably your best solution. If you don't have a soft start, your inverter will need to be capable of a very large inrush current. That inrush current would probably be 3x-5x the running current of the pump, and many inverters will not handle it.

Our cabin has a 1/2 hp pump that pulls something over 37A @ 120V (4500W) for a split second, then it settles down to more like 12A (1440W). We also have a pressure tank but ours cuts in at about 20 psi and cuts out at 55 psi. The pump runs for something around 2 minutes each time. (I would guess that our pressure switch settings means that the pump runs less often but for a longer time each run than @Steve_S ).

So, review what your pump will require (based on it's HP and soft start or not), and how much total time it will run each 24 hrs. If your inverter can deal with the inrush, the issue becomes whether or not you have enough battery power.

Thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know if all of groundfos pumps have soft start? I’m not at all familiar with well pumps and my driller is saying they use groundfos standard and groundfos solar pumps.
I’m planning on adding another inverter in the somewhat near future. If the wattage the pump pulls is well under the capacity of the inverters then is it still bad for the inverter to use a standard well pump?

I’m getting a well drilled at my off grid property and trying to figure out if i need to get a groundfos well pump or not. My driller says they use either flowise or groundfos. My system runs on a 6000xp with 8 x 400 watt panels and battery backup. If my inverter will handle the start up wattage and i’ll install a pressure tank then why wouldn’t a standard well system work? I’m not sure I understand the reasoning of getting a more solar specific well pump?
Unless really out of the budget go for a pump that reduces your starting draw now while everything is being installed. It will simplify your power needs going forward.

Another Grundfos SQ vote here. I don't own one, but promise I will someday.
My current 1hp deep well pulls ~40a / leg inrush, that's a lot of power that requires some robust hardware.
With the SQ you can get water easily from various power sources, water is life...

Definitely a vote for Grunfos.
We run a 15 SQE07-150.
Great pump.
In my case just had to put SPD on the controller to keep lighting from frying it.

Great pump’s though and definitely inverter friendly.

Had our well for the new place drilled a few weeks back, before we start construction. Driller has been at it for 30+ years, great reputation in the area, and I trust him. Came in significantly under the price quoted (and we got 48 gallons/minute at 280 feet!). When I told him we were likely to remain off grid he didn't even hesitate and said, "Grundfos SQ - No question. We've put in several of them for off grid folks, and never had a problem. 5 amps at start vs. 17 amps for regular pumps. And built like a tank." Issue solved, for me. One less thing to think about.

Get a Grundfos soft start pump (we use a 240 volt version, which halves the amps) and a large pressure tank. Soft start, low amps, big tank.

Well-X-Trol WX-350D, 119 Gallon, Water Pressure Tank.

But still the same watt hit. Guess the positive is that it spreads the hit across both legs, thought don't know if that helps with an inverter.

Good info.

I have a two stage setup. A deep well, not sure how deep or what the pump is, or how old, it was in there when we bought the property. Will be buying a pump to replace it for when it dies or to reduce load.
This pumps into a buried holding tank, I believe 1000 gallons.
House is about 100 feet away. Inside is a shallow well pump that draws from the holding tank. I want to replace this as well, as it is loud and draws a large amount at startup and while running.

Any recommendations for a low draw shallow well pump, any with soft start built in?

Our well pump went in when we built our cabin. I was in High School, and I think it was the summer of 1974. So in a few months it will have been operating in that well for 50 years. The pump was from F.E. Meyers in Ohio, who I think still is in the business but were bought out by a bigger company.

On topic for this thread: Six years ago we picked out the Grundfos SQ model that we want as replacement, assuming the current pump ever finally quits.

Our well pump went in when we built our cabin. I was in High School, and I think it was the summer of 1974. So in a few months it will have been operating in that well for 50 years. The pump was from F.E. Meyers in Ohio, who I think still is in the business but were bought out by a bigger company.

On topic for this thread: Six years ago we picked out the Grundfos SQ model that we want as replacement, assuming the current pump ever finally quits.
The pump might not quit but if your piping is galvanized water pipe it may be at its failure point now. Typically they say it lasts 30-40 years. Even your well casing might be failing after this long. It is often just untreated steel pipe. It would be a good plan to start setting money aside for a new well to be drilled.

I have this model, I run it on direct solar or on 120v ac direct from my inverter, the SQF is not just a soft start but it has a slow ramp up so it can be started in a solar direct application

Good info.

I have a two stage setup. A deep well, not sure how deep or what the pump is, or how old, it was in there when we bought the property. Will be buying a pump to replace it for when it dies or to reduce load.
This pumps into a buried holding tank, I believe 1000 gallons.
House is about 100 feet away. Inside is a shallow well pump that draws from the holding tank. I want to replace this as well, as it is loud and draws a large amount at startup and while running.

Any recommendations for a low draw shallow well pump, any with soft start built in?
Dankoff makes all kinds of stuff for above ground.
Not cheap but will outlast most homeowners.

They also have the ability run off Solar directly.

I use both Dankoff for above ground spring cistern pumping, and Franklin Fhoton for my well. The Fhoton system is very well built. It works direct from solar, but I bought and extra box that allows you to use 120 or 240. It's the 3p pump with soft start. Not cheap, but neither is Grundfos.

Soft start is essential - mine are on 20A breakers with 12/3 submersible copper underground burial cable.

Back