diy solar

diy solar

Well pump

I have a Grundfos SQFlex 6 that we installed in our 'new' 180' well summer before last and have been running it on (6) Evergreen 120w panels with a Grundfos CU 200 controller. Since we haven't built our house yet, we're only down there part time, but it's done a great job. The driller estimated 200gpm when he hit water at 165'. He hit an artesian well. We can run it as long as the sun's shining, and if I wanted to, I could buy another grundfoss sub controller to hook it up to batts or generator. But when we get the house built, it will be wired to that system and we'll use the Evergreen's for a solar powered mini split AC for times when we need a dehumidifier, or if the earth home doesn't keep cool enough. But, even though the Grundfos was a bit pricey compared to "normal" pumps, it will handle nearly any voltage change or power source. I'm happy with it!

ps- I didn't mention it, but with this set up, we have to manually turn the controller on (and flip the breaker switch before it), and we leave the water running, as in, not shutting off the spigot until we shut the controller back off. We have 2 frost proof hydrants, one at the well head and one 330' away by the solar arrays and power shed (which is shared space in my wife's garden shed until we build the house and transfer the equipment up there). I've posted a list of "turn on" steps at the breaker (for my wife and neighbor before he drilled his well), which says to open the spigot before turning on the pump. I'm not sure even now what would happen if the pump was on and the system was closed, but I'm not taking any chances. There may be an internal shut off on the pump or controller if this happens, but this pump cost too much to burn it out if it doesn't have a pressure shut off. I guess I should really do a little research and find out, but for now, this procedure is ok with us.

Last edited:
Back