diy solar

diy solar

What are folks opinions on 12.8 V 300 AH LiFePO4 batteries - which one to buy???

tsuru

This might end up being like do you like Fords or Chevy's. BUT, does anyone have an opinion on a 12.8 V 300 AH LiFePO4 battery?

These things cost around $500 and that's a chunk of change and all what I've heard about batteries out there and the support from these companies after sale causes me a great deal of hesitation. So if someone likes one over the other would you Please also tell me the why? Like I like Chevys, but just saying that means nothing if I don't give you a list of good reasons why I do.

Thank you

the best bang for the buck I’ve found is this E-lektech 260 ah…
At $399 it comes in at $.12 per wh.
Also claims to have a 250 amp BMS, waterproof, over current protection, low and high temp protection, et al…

IMG_5468.jpegIMG_5469.jpeg

300 AH.

I have an Eco-Worthy 280 AH.
I think someone had one or more of the Kepworth 300Ah seemed to be solid.

Ultimately the 280-300Ah cells are around $50 bucks in China, so four of those plus a BMS and case, and shipping, should be some room to drop further in price.

I think someone had one or more of the Kepworth 300Ah seemed to be solid.

Ultimately the 280-300Ah cells are around $50 bucks in China, so four of those plus a BMS and case, and shipping, should be some room to drop further in price.
It’s a helluva deal, if it drops further. $.12/wh is hard to beat.

IMO I unless you can use Bluetooth to monitor individual cell voltage and change BMS settings keep looking.

Who wants a battery that only balances when charging? Who wants a battery that has low temp charging protection at -10c? Who wants a battery with high voltage protection at 3.7?

I’m not saying the units mentioned above have those settings, but the ability to taylor and monitor battery health I feel is key and a non starter.

Amazing asking this question several days ago and getting nearly no responses. Yes did get a few as you can see.

BUT BUT isn't anyone out there that has some SOME opinion on 12.8 V 300 AH LiFEP04 batteries???????

Anyone????????????????

Want to purchase but really hesitant and nobody seems to have any thoughts on what is a good battery and why!!!!!

I've had a Rebel 300AH Battery for over a year now. Been very happy with it. Has Low Temp Protection, Bluetooth BMS (mine has a push button to disable the Bluetooth as well). Unfortunately, their prices have not come down with the rest of the market and the last time I looked they were still on backorder...

I have Jita 300ah battery since 12/2021 and it is still going strong. Not a lot of heavy use of late, gets discharged and charged about once a month.
Basic battery, no bluetooth but does have an internal heater. Discharge current rating of 200 amps and max charging rate of 100 amps though 50/60 amps recommended. I charge mine at a 10 to 25 amp rate.

There are 4 tiers to these batteries:

1) Trash Tier: Usually these are on Aliexpress but will appear on amazon from time to time, these are just striaght up scams with prices that are just stupid low, e.g. A 300Ah will be in reality only 100 AH or have some other scam problem, example:
this guy got robbed, but he was asking for it. Buying a trash tier battery is the same as throwing money in a fire pit.

2) Budget Tier: These will generally have either grade B cells or old stock grade A cells, they generally will meet capacity but as they age the cell balance will become an issue this appears as situations where you can no longer charge the battery to full like 14.4v. Its a problem on the 100AH and is going to be basically be a disaster on the 300 ah as most of these BMS units have a puny 50 mah cell balancer. Budget batteries can not be opened, can't be serviced, and for the most part you will be on your own if something happens.

Examples include: Wiez, Litime, Chins, Zooms, Redodo, Ecoworthy, and generally any random battery you come across on ebay/amazon many people are happy with these initially, but you ask them again in about 2 years and not so happy any more.

3) Legit Cell Tier / Quality Tier: These batteries have verified / certified cells, they stay in balance and usually have some features like bluetooth or even now communication options for inverters. They have good support as in a local USA phone number, priced fairly and generally stand behind their product. Most of the time these batteries can be serviced, opened up and parts replaced. Examples include: Aolithium, Sun Fun Kits, SOK Battery, Epoch Essentials (only the ones that can be serviced), Golden Mate (for now at least). Currently I would say the Sun Fun Kits 300/275 is the best in for the features/price in this category and the SOK being the best bang for the buck with their 280.

4) Top Tier: These batteries have robust construction, are built without money constraints, and are considered to be the best in their class. You will pay more but you will have the least amount of problems. Its also note worthy that if you go this route you will usually need to buy other items to be in there eco system for best results. Examples include: Victron's Official Batteries, Lithionics, Roypow Based Epoch Batteries, Voltgo (mainly for the construction). Buy top tier if you want stuff that just works.

There is another tier that I left off and I call it the legacy tier, brands that used to be great but did not innovate and are now considered overpriced:
In this I place Battleborn, Dakota Lithium, Millertech, Relion, K2O, and various others, basically they exsist because the people that are buying them don't know any better.

As for me I generally go with Either tier 2 or 3, if its not something critical I will go with tier 2, like a battery for a chicken coup light or maybe an electric gate. If I'm going fishing it would tier 3 minimum as I have no plans on being stuck in the water (been there done that).

Last edited:
There are 4 tiers to these batteries:

1) Trash Tier: Usually these are on Aliexpress but will appear on amazon from time to time, these are just striaght up scams with prices that are just stupid low, e.g. A 300Ah will be in reality only 100 AH or have some other scam problem, example:
this guy got robbed, but he was asking for it. Buying a trash tier battery is the same as throwing money in a fire pit.

2) Budget Tier: These will generally have either grade B cells or old stock grade A cells, they generally will meet capacity but as they age the cell balance will become an issue this appears as situations where you can no longer charge the battery to full like 14.4v. Its a problem on the 100AH and is going to be basically be a disaster on the 300 ah as most of these BMS units have a puny 50 mah cell balancer. Budget batteries can not be opened, can't be serviced, and for the most part you will be on your own if something happens.

Examples include: Wiez, Litime, Chins, Zooms, Redodo, Ecoworthy, and generally any random battery you come across on ebay/amazon many people are happy with these initially, but you ask them again in about 2 years and not so happy any more.

3) Legit Cell Tier / Quality Tier: These batteries have verified / certified cells, they stay in balance and usually have some features like bluetooth or even now communication options for inverters. They have good support as in a local USA phone number, priced fairly and generally stand behind their product. Most of the time these batteries can be serviced, opened up and parts replaced. Examples include: Aolithium, Sun Fun Kits, SOK Battery, Epoch Essentials (only the ones that can be serviced), Golden Mate (for now at least). Currently I would say the Sun Fun Kits 300/275 is the best in for the features/price in this category and the SOK being the best bang for the buck with their 280.

4) Top Tier: These batteries have robust construction, are built without money constraints, and are considered to be the best in their class. You will pay more but you will have the least amount of problems. Its also note worthy that if you go this route you will usually need to buy other items to be in there eco system for best results. Examples include: Victron's Official Batteries, Lithionics, Roypow Based Epoch Batteries, Voltgo (mainly for the construction). Buy top tier if you want stuff that just works.

There is another tier that I left off and I call it the legacy tier, brands that used to be great but did not innovate and are now considered overpriced:
In this I place Battleborn, Dakota Lithium, Millertech, Relion, K2O, and various others, basically they exsist because the people that are buying them don't know any better.

As for me I generally go with Either tier 2 or 3, if its not something critical I will go with tier 2, like a battery for a chicken coup light or maybe an electric gate. If I'm going fishing it would tier 3 minimum as I have no plans on being stuck in the water (been there done that).
Thank you VERY MUCH for a great and thorough evaluation of differing brands. Am hoping that I can get a good / Good A Cells battery for about 500-600.

diy solar

diy solar
Back