diy solar

diy solar

what are these settings JBD tools V1.B

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
snip.PNG

I am looking for a document that might explain how to set up BMS. Manual I have is vague or does not address some settings at all - to be fair I do like the BMS though.

I don't know if I've seen manual for the PC software from JBD. I wish JBD would update the software so it translates to English better. Is there some reason you are using V1.B? Mine is 2.9 I think.
A lot of the settings will have to do with your cells and preferences.
The picture you attached is Start voltage where the cell voltage needs to be at or above before it even starts balancing. Accuracy is how closely it will try to keep cells together.
The one below it is actually translated better on my PC, and it says GPS Off voltage and gps Off time. I don't know what those do, but I didn't change them.
With top balanced cells, I have my balance set to start balancing just as it begins to reach the upper knee where cells start to separate and have it set to 20mv accuracy. I found this start number by just watching the cell voltages on the jbd app as it was charging.
Most important to get set right is in the "basic protection parameter configuration".
Is there something in particular you're trying to figure out?

Ballance allocation - start voltage should be 3400 - that is 3.4V per cell when balancing starts happening as they reach full charge, or 'high knee' in the charging profile. .5V or 50mV is fine as well. The mosfets probly can't do more than that anyway. And if your cells are running away you can bleed individuals off with a 12V headlight bulb as a final top balancing effort.

Even though I top balanced all my cell in parallel to 3.65Vpc, they still needed some fine tuning as a battery. They stay in perfect balance until they get over 3.5Vpc, then there's usually one or two that will reach full capacity and spike. Best to just terminate charging at that point - it's full anyway.

I don't know what the other values are - my inclination would be to leave them.

I don't know if I've seen manual for the PC software from JBD. I wish JBD would update the software so it translates to English better. Is there some reason you are using V1.B? Mine is 2.9 I think.
A lot of the settings will have to do with your cells and preferences.
The picture you attached is Start voltage where the cell voltage needs to be at or above before it even starts balancing. Accuracy is how closely it will try to keep cells together.
The one below it is actually translated better on my PC, and it says GPS Off voltage and gps Off time. I don't know what those do, but I didn't change them.
With top balanced cells, I have my balance set to start balancing just as it begins to reach the upper knee where cells start to separate and have it set to 20mv accuracy. I found this start number by just watching the cell voltages on the jbd app as it was charging.
Most important to get set right is in the "basic protection parameter configuration".
Is there something in particular you're trying to figure out?
Nothing in particular I am trying to figure out. I just expect the documentation to be good. This is far from good. I'm dancing with the charger and the BMS settings. I'm beginning to think the usual cc/cv charge curve isn't the best way to go.

Nothing in particular I am trying to figure out. I just expect the documentation to be good. This is far from good. I'm dancing with the charger and the BMS settings. I'm beginning to think the usual cc/cv charge curve isn't the best way to go.

I sent a message to my contact at JBD and was just sent a manual for the PC. I haven't read through it, I don't know if it's more than what you have or the same. The BMS's aren't built just for our use. They're used in a lot of vehicles and medical equipment. Some settings won't apply.
The settings of the BMS are to protect the cells. The charger should be set to what the useful range of the cells is. The BMS should be set to keep the cells from going too far over or under those values. My charger stops charge/discharge slightly before the BMS is set to trigger. It really doesn't do much at this point with good cells and top balance.

Attachments

• JBD manual.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 75
That is the problem. Nobody knows what these are for. Documentation needs to be better.
No, it's not a problem. Just run it.
Since you just captured one section, we can't tell what else that may relate to.
Most of these settings are benign. It is likely a cell minimum voltage, 'cell under voltage', and a reconnect time.
In any case, don't worry - mainly you want to shut off charging under freezing, and for over-voltage. Balancing doesn't do much anyway, it's like half an amp. You need to be top-balanced to start with.

Last edited:
Back