diy solar

diy solar

What do I need?

Luckyhunter

Hi all - totally new to the solar world but very interested in it now that I have a dire need for it ha. Long story short is I am building a pole barn for general storage on a property I own but do not live on and received a quote from the power company of $15,000 for grid service which is outrageous. Due to this, I am looking for alternative power solutions.

I am not sure what route to go though. My power use of the building will just be some lights (max of 2,000 watts since it’s a large barn), small tools, trickle charger for a car etc. so nothing crazy.

I am looking at a few options including a DIY solar set up (rather intimidating to me at the moment), or something like the Ecoflow delta pro.

The DIY solar set up I am looking at is the EG4 6000 with their 14.3kwh wall mount battery. This seems pretty user friendly but I struggle with the cost and panel needs of this. I think I will be in the $7-10k range for the whole set up which is more than I was hoping to spend but I don’t want to cut myself short on power/battery capacity either. Since this is vacant property, I also worry about theft/damage of the panels since they would be on the ground.

The delta pro appeals to me since it’s a “plug and play” for a dummy like me with the 30A hook up. The idea here would be to bring the delta pro with me to the shop whenever I am there and just plug in and go. Then I can take it home and charge it. My concern is the 3600W capacity. I am worried it may be too low for me and it also eliminates the opportunity for me to have a car on a trickle charger when I am not there. I do not go there often (maybe once a week max or so).

Is there a viable solution to have a mix of the 2 set ups? I feel I want/need the output and battery capacity of the EG4 stuff but I don’t want to mess around with panels and outdoor hook up and the cost vs grid service isn’t that much less, etc. but at the same time, I need more capacity (I think) than the delta 4 provides. Is the solution just buying more delta pros?

Thanks all!

Batteries, mppt, and a hf inverter cheaper.

For those lights there is no inductive load. If you start with a smaller inverter, say 2000w you can add another one in parallel so long as you use a separate wire to another set of lights. Or get 3 sets of lights and 3 hf inverters, all run from the same batteries. Then you can turn the on an area at a time.

A bougerv MPPT or similar is all you need since you have no intention of ever having any grid connection the AIO parts you are using are the inverter and the mppt.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back