diy solar

diy solar

What is a good base to set my batteries on outside, at the back of my house?

Mountainmama

Good day to you all.
My new ( to me, donated by a neighbour who's upgrading) 24v Enersys Opzs batteries are coming on Friday
I have cleared a flat area at the back of my house out of the wind and direct sun.
I have paved a larger area than they will need with solid bricks bedded in sand. It's flat but not totally flat ,should I get it completely flat?
What else should I put down?
And what's best to cover/protect the batteries with?
Thanks guys, as always all guidance is greatfully received by this hardworking Mountainmama ?

I would not store any batteries outside, especially if they will be exposed to freeze cycles, or intense heat. If they must be outdoors, they should be in an enclosed battery box that has some provision to keep them warm. If indoors, possibly venting them. Don't locate your batteries directly under your inverter or other sensitive equipment if they are the type that can vent gasses. I don't know what OPSZ is.

They're lead acid batteries, I am if the understanding that they can't be in the house?
Yes, you are correct

(What region are you?)

Probably some sort of little roof over them and protection from splaswater off the eves is a good idea.
Foolishly my lead acid batteries have been outdoors for over three years. I have not protected them other than all my battery cable terminal ends are waterproofed to the cable insulation.

Spend the relatively small dollars to cover them is my advice. I’ve had to clean minor corrosion a couple times and change one terminal end- I think I may not have had to if I’d been a good boy and protected them.

I guess you would have to define "indoors". To me that means garage, attached shed, storage container, etc. I wouldn't want them in a basement, but it all depends on how you set it up. A lot of people build a battery box, or buy a battery cabinet and have it vented. Preferably negative pressure so you are sucking air out, rather than pressurizing the box.

They are heavy, so someplace to put them where you don't have to kill yourself trying to move them in the future. I would try to keep them from being exposed to extreme temps.

Back