diy solar

diy solar

What Equipment is needed to make a short term "UPS" for critical loads panel, and grow to long term in the future.

coplate

Edit: Adding TL;DR;
TL;DR: I'm in the US, and I'm looking for somethign in 3 phases, though I may never get past the first phase
1) 5 second UPS to handle blips, powering a critical loads panel; 2) Generator input to that critical loads panel for longer outages; 3) Lots of batteries along with the generator so I can recharge the battereis with the generator, and pull power from generator or batteries down the line.
Because I want to leave this installed full-time, to handle the power blips, I would much prefer something that is ETL/UL listed.

The electricity where I am has an unsolved problem, every couple 6 weeks, we have a blip for about 1 second, where all my smart devices reboot, and they are spread out across my house; the ceiling fans turn off when the power goes out and stays off; the lights turn back on when the power gets restored ( they see it as someone flicking the switch ), my air purifier turns off, and my microwave clock gets reset.

These are not life-altering problems, but I am looking for a way to handle this without breaking the bank.
Currently, I happen to own 3KW of lifepo4 batteries, along with a 100A generic BMS, which shoule be able to handle these blips in the middle of the night, when they are the worst ( lights turning back on while I am asleep ).

My house also has grid tied solar using Solaredge se10000h-us inverters. This is the version that cannot connect to batteries. the installer for that when I called them said that even if I get the ESS version, that it wont switch to battery for a few seconds, which would not handle these blips, but could be used for storm outages. I'm unsure if this handles A/C coupling vie a frequency watts ( relevent to 2 of the more expensive options I look at farther down the line )

What I would like to do to start is find an inverter that I can put between my main breaker panel, and a critical loads panel, so that I can handle these short blips gracefully.

I have tried looking at second hand or refurbished UPS modules, but I have not been able to find much documentation on one I can run 120/240 for a load panel like this ( used 240v while grid tied, and supplying a load panel, while staying fairly balanced ), because I will want to put my air handler and A/C on this circuit a the next step. [ If we have any long storm outages, I want to be able to run those from battery, but cannot justify the expense until them ]

I have used an Emporia Vue to identify my loads, and measure them over the past several months, and I have 99% of time under 3800W, with about 10 minutes total ( not consecutive ), between 3800 and 4200W.
I would like to be able to move my A/C into this critical load panel in the future, and when I run my measurements, that would be a 7200W continuous load at the peak measurement I took, but that time was measured while I was using the microwave and air-fryer circuits.

I do not want to spend all the money up-front, but I also do not want to buy things that I would need to discard as I move forward.

Because I want this connected to my grid system, I want listed equipment?, but some of them are hard for me to understand what is required beyond just the inverter, to allow it to work with small generic batteries, or larger DIY batteries. ( if this would even be allowed, if the batteries are not listed ). The batteries direct from SolarEdge are WAY more expensive than DIY or the likes of the server rack batteries, where if I wanted several 10KWh of power, I would not want to get it from SolarEdge if possible to bypass.

I have looked at the Victron kit from Current Connected ( 6kva ), but that does include the UL listed versions yet, though the kit does have a list of all the things I would need, so I could buy the UL listed versions and all the other parts. ( 2x multipls 2 )
I have also looked at the Schneider 6.8 kit from signature solar, that also seems to include all the things I would need to get started.
Both of those could grow, and the Schneider looks like it would support all of my power needs, without even paralleling it, because of the surge ratings it has, but the reported issues of how it starts up I think would not work with my small battery.

Both of those options are significantly more than I want to pay just for this blip that occurs though, I am hoping to find any recommendations for more bare-bones inverters I could use to backup a critical loads panel for 1 minute now, and several hours in the next couple years;

I've looked a little at the samlex evo 4248 and the Schneider SW4048, but both of those seems to need specific control panels, and aren't sold to consumers with all the bits and pieces needed, unlike the above newer inverters.

I have no idea if this is code compliant, but my thoughts for a temporary system were to use a 50A receptacle from the main breaker to the "UPS", and plug the critical loads panel into the "UPS" with a 50A receptacle. This would also allow me to power the critical loads panel from a generator, or a separate off-grid inverter that has larger batteries, if I do end up needing a sperate device for these blips. OR if I should even worry about UL listing in this configuration.

Or recommendations on finding a proper UPS that could be used just for the blips. I've stumbles across a website anmed Excess UPS that sells refurbished ones, but the documentation on them is pretty light in some cases, and it can be hard for me to tell if they are 120/240 split phase, or allow wiring in plugs like I mentioned.

Any guidance on these topics would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this wall of text.

Last edited:
have not been able to find much documentation on one I can run 120/240 for a load panel like this ( used 240v while grid tied, and supplying a load panel, while staying fairly balanced ), because I will want to put my air handler and A/C on this circuit a the next step
Are you USA 120V? Or 240V?
This setup is scalable.

This setup is scalable.
Thanks.
I am in the USA, and I am looking for 120/240 , because I would be moving most of the 120v circuits out of my main load panel into the backup panel, and I don't want to put them all on a single phase, they are split right now. So if I want this sitting between my panels all the time, I think 240 with shared neutral is what I would need to make that work.

I have looked at the PIP model some months ago, but I cannot remember why I discarded them, it may have just been that I started looking at listed equipment, but I'll have to look at this again, that 0 transfer time was very attractive when I looked at it before.

$1K grand may be cheap enough that I am willing to just discard it or resell it if I feel I need to move to something listed, or I want bigger inverters instead of more inverters.

Thanks for the link.

Thanks.
I am in the USA, and I am looking for 120/240
When you mentioned 3 phases in the original post, I was thinking you wanted 3 phase power.

UL listed equipment will cost more. The faster the transfer time, the more it costs. At the high end sol-ark 8k will do what you want.

If you really care about UL listing, then UL 9540 is what you need to look for with the battery too.

Be careful with zero transfer time. You will have conversion loss all the time. The zero transfer time is because it converts ac grid to dc, and then dc back to ac. Great if you need zero transfer time or to clean up dirty power for sensitive equipment.

Long term, you will want to shift the pv to the new inverter. Then it will play nicely with the pv/battery for extended grid down. If you export excess power to the grid, that will be a consideration.

Most inverters can handle a generator. The issue is how clean do you want the power. Cheap dirty generator with a chargeverter is an economical option.

Last edited:
$1K grand may be cheap enough that I am willing to just discard it or resell it if I feel I need to move to something listed, or I want bigger inverters instead of more inverters.
I have a little 1000W 12V MPPSolar AIO (1012LV-MK) that works fantastic and is worth every penny. Plus you can gang for more capacity over time if needed.
If I was ok with 24V (wasn’t a heavy 12V user) or 48V I’d buy two or four of those in a heartbeat.

This setup is scalable.
I took another look at this today, and noticed - like @DIYrich said - that this appears to be a double conversion system, so it relies on the batteries pretty heavily?
The battery I have is pretty degraded, and I should expect it to be able handle the blips I am considering, but I'm not sure about the behavior of having the double conversion and how it might impact the battery.

Should that really be a concern, or I am probably just overthinking that, and the DC power that is uses will come from the grid, not the battery most of the time, right?

I believe this is also how most of the big-boy UPS' work, so Im just considering if I should get a cheap lead battery to handle the blips on this, until I need to scale up my storage, or if I should use my grade F lifepo4 cells.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Since you are talking about 120/240VAC split phase support, continuous load of over 7KW for AC, and your existing grid-tie solar inverter, you need a real all house inverter. Nothing less will meet your requirements. Options are the Lux Power 12K unit or an equivalent Sol Ark unit. There really isn't anything out there right now that can do what you described for a low cost. You must also have enough capacity for AC motor and compressor start ups. That dictates that you need more than 7KW capacity. If you change your requirement for AC (air) and for 240VAC, then you can buy various smaller inverters and batteries and put them around the house when you need them. If you are really only concerned about specific devices, or you just don't want your microwave clock to reset then just get some UPS units and plug your devices into them. The full solution is going to cost a minimum of around $10,000 with inverter, minimal batteries, cabling, electrical boxes, etc. The UPS approach will cost you less than $200 to keep the microwave clock from resetting and your air purifier from turning off, and your computer from rebooting. All you need is a single small 120VAC UPS. You can get 1000W UPS from CyberPower for around $200. 500W for around $150.

Should that really be a concern, or I am probably just overthinking that, and the DC power that is uses will come from the grid, not the battery most of the time, right?
Right
Imho you are overthinking ?

I took another look at this today, and noticed - like @DIYrich said - that this appears to be a double conversion system, so it relies on the batteries pretty heavily?
The battery I have is pretty degraded, and I should expect it to be able handle the blips I am considering, but I'm not sure about the behavior of having the double conversion and how it might impact the battery.
In a double conversion system "ripple" is a strain on the battery (constant small amounts of charging / discharging). Inverters have large capacitors to buffer the changing power needs of the inverter. I don't know if that solves the ripple problem.

In a double conversion system "ripple" is a strain on the battery (constant small amounts of charging / discharging). Inverters have large capacitors to buffer the changing power needs of the inverter. I don't know if that solves the ripple problem.
What lifespan impact does this actually have? Do you know of real statistics?
I’m not disputing you, just wanna know.

In practice, MILLIONS of users use these cheaper AIO machines.

If you insist on 120/240V then you are looking at a cost structure that will favor just going for whole-house backup as @adamantium states. 120V only and you can go for a hand-truck unit, but I get that isn't practical when you are talking about things like ceiling fans and multiple light circuits.

I would suggest taking a look at Will's 120V hand truck and "slightly bigger hand truck" videos to help understand the scale of the issue:

Back