diy solar

diy solar

What is the ending terminal voltage of an amp hour test?

Checkthisout

Solar Wizard
A Manufacturer of FLA acid starts an Amp hour test to see what rating to give the battery.

They start the test with a full charged battery and end the test when the terminal voltage reaches......?

You should not fully discharge a lead acid battery because it does plate damage. Rested fully discharged is about 11.5vdc for 12v battery or 1.91v per cell, with SG of electrolyte about 1.07.

Do a discharge test at about 0.25 C(A) for 30 minutes, check for excessive voltage slump during load. Should not go much below 12.0v. Allow to rest unloaded for 30 minutes to allow cells to equalize then measure open circuit voltage. Check with standard lead acid chart to see where the open circuit voltage corresponds to on SOC chart compared to the 12.5% capacity discharged. You can do this for up to 50% depth of discharge without too much damage.

If you have access ports for electrolyte you can also test SG with hydrometer.

Attachments

• Specific Gravity and acid percent Chart2.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
You should not fully discharge a lead acid battery because it does plate damage.

Do a discharge test at about 0.25 C(A) for 30 minutes, then allow to rest unloaded for 30 minutes to allow cells to equalize then measure open circuit voltage. Check with standard lead acid chart to see where the open circuit voltage corresponds to on SOC chart compared to the 12.5% capacity discharged. You can do this for up to 50% depth of discharge without too much damage.

If you have access ports for electrolyte you can also test SG with hydrometer.
Yes.

I am asking what the ending terminal voltage is when the manufacturer does the test in order to give the battery its rating.

In other words, what are the parameters during the test.

CCA tests ends when the battery terminal voltage drops below 10.5 volts while the load is on the battery.

What is the terminal voltage when an Amp hour test is stopped?

Yes.

I am asking what the ending terminal voltage is when the manufacturer does the test in order to give the battery its rating.

In other words, what are the parameters during the test.

CCA tests ends when the battery terminal voltage drops below 10.5 volts while the load is on the battery.

What is the terminal voltage when an Amp hour test is stopped?
That depends on discharge current rate. Anywhere from 1.9v per cell for low discharge current. 7.2v for 30 second CCA discharge test on 12v battery at 0 degs F..

Attachments

• BU-902a_ How to Measure CCA - Battery University.pdf
    45.2 KB · Views: 3
That depends on discharge current rate. Anywhere from 1.9v per cell for low discharge current. 7.2v for 30 second CCA discharge test on 12v battery at 0 degs F..

The PDF you posted is perfect and shows how manufacturers calculate CCA

Now is there something like that for Amp Hours?

In other words I want to know what my terminal voltage would be after I pull 240 Amps hours out of a 240 Amp hour battery assuming the battery is new and perfect.

In other words the voltage floor that ends the test or when the gas tank needle would read empty.

Back