diy solar

diy solar

What does float the bat terminal mean?

WOLF-GANG

I have got a new Growatt SPH 4600 which is a hybrid inverter. Right now I do not have battery cause it will arrive later.

So I wanted to use it meanwhile as a pure grid converter but the only description I have found sounds a bit weird to me cause I do not know aht the second paragraph means or in particular "you can also float BAT(tery) terminal"

Does that mean I have to connect the + and - terminal on the inverter like a bridge?
They have no graphic that would show that . I have used the translator too to find another meaning of float in this context.

Right now it does not work and this sentence is the only one about using the inverter without a battery in the whole manual.
Currently it feels like I have to connect plus and minus terminal cause otherwise they would not mention the BAT Terminal.

Hope someone can explaint to me what might be meant. THANKS A LOT

1702522575873.png

Does that mean I have to connect the + and - terminal on the inverter like a bridge?
“Floating” generally refers to a conductor (wire) not being connected or to an unconnected Neutral/White or-and Ground/bare/green.

⚠️So NO! do not short these terminals without explicit instructions or diagram stating you should do so!⚠️

it feels like I have to connect plus and minus terminal cause otherwise they would not mention the BAT Terminal.
I read your attachment and see nothing suggesting shorting the terminals.
However, I do understand why you might think that because one might think that is how you would self-energize the Bat terminals.
I read it to say you can run it without a battery connected.

I don’t know this machine but maybe others do and can have useful input.

“Floating” generally refers to a conductor (wire) not being connected or to an unconnected Neutral/White or-and Ground/bare/green.

⚠️So NO! do not short these terminals without explicit instructions or diagram stating you should do so!⚠️

However, I do understand why you might think that because one might think that is how you would self-energize the Bat terminals.

Thanks a lot.
Meanwhile I had found out that nothing has to be connected to the battery terminal as you said.

Here are screenshots from the manual
1702542885281.png
And under that chart is the following description, but printed on the next page
"Note: This diagram is an example for gird system without special requirement on
electrical wiring connection."

1702542987892.png

This is another example which represents our system except. And then there was this final small remark:

1702543172725.png

The only difference from our current test setup to the last wiring diagram is that I have NOT INSTALLED the (clamp) sensor . That would require a 30 m long rj45 cable I do not have yet but I guess I will plug in a load next to the server and then use the sensor next to the inverter to measure that load instead of the house. But I should not need that in case of pure PV to grid inverter.

They have not described that in a separate point what to do when you want to use this inverter without a battery like the settings needed. There was only 1 hint which is here about the default mode "if there is no battery"

1702544190431.png

What I was missing is line between the inverter and the grid in the display and the counters / stats of the inverter showed a PV generation of 0,1 kWh but not the AC counter was still 0,0 kWh

Here is a phot from the display and showint the PV generation of today

1702544407873.png

And there is no wire visible even though I can here and see when the inverter is connecting to the grid. Here in this moment it was already dark, therefore you see the standby. During daylight you see NORMAL .

But the wire is not there, the ac generated daily is 0,0 kWh and same for the total ac generated counter. That is why I think something must be wrong and the only difference for me is the missing sensor.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP !

UPDATE:

I have found a german manual where the second paragraph says that you can connect the bat terminals on the inverter like a bridge. Then the hybrid inverter would only act as a usual PV gridtied inverter.
1710696111097.png

I did that and now the grid has become visible, the system has connected but still something is missing. And of cause the german translation has some english terms like here FLOATING which they describe as what ?
Turn the EPS output / mode ON !

That is why I had assumed that FLOAT meant to bridge the terminals in this particular case.
Just an update for all those SPH owners that might find this in their search result list and also struggling a lot.
At least my wifi Stick is now working and the inverter has become a fleet member cause we have a lot of these growatt inverters in our account.

Back