diy solar

diy solar

Wire to Bus Bar or all to battery?

Jmhai3

Quick question before I start on my cart EG4-3K and the EG4 standard 48v battery.
Hooking up:
  • AIO
  • Renogy Boost 10a (will be long time before I have the solar to go direct to the AIO)
  • 48v to 12v for 12volt fuse panel
Do I connect everything to the top of the battery? one terminal.
2023-12-11 12_40_46-Window.png

Or do I get a bus bar, (like this) and everything runs to and from this?
2023-12-11 12_46_21-Window.png

Or does it not matter? I usually don't like to connect several separate wires on one terminal.

Still waiting on all of the components but get stuff together.

buss bars are nice. choose something like a victron busbar or a blue seas buss bar.

I currently have 3 charge controllers + inverter going to our battery posts. I don't like it. Once we upgrade to lithium, ill get a proper bussbar. Most likely the victron power in

I would do the inverter and CC to terminals if your wires fit. With wire terminals opposite each other and seated flat.

Curious about your 48v to 12v converter. There's a lot of cheap bad hardware in that market.

buss bars are nice. choose something like a victron busbar or a blue seas buss bar.

I currently have 3 charge controllers + inverter going to our battery posts. I don't like it. Once we upgrade to lithium, ill get a proper bussbar. Most likely the victron power in
Bus Bars would be preferred but the available space on the cart is limited and not sure if I will even have the room for everything.
Thinking of attaching a board to the cart to extend it a little to the sides (not pass the wheels to fit through doors easy) and to the top just a few inches. Was not sure if the terminals were strong enough for multiple individual wires connected without breaking the terminals.

Curious about your 48v to 12v converter. There's a lot of cheap bad hardware in that market.
Learning the lingo, what do you mean by "CC to the terminals"?
I would use the 48v to 12v recommended by Will on the instruction page (BZONE 30a)

Learning the lingo, what do you mean by "CC to the terminals"?
CC is Charge Controller and I mean to the terminals of the battery, along with the inverter, if both fit well there.

People say 2 max but personally I wouldn't mind throwing some ring terminals for the 12v conveyer in too, also if you can make them fit. Everything needs to be sandwiched together flat, with no washers anywhere between any ring terminals and the conductive surface of the battery terminal. Washers only go between the bolt head and the top terminal in the stack.

CC is Charge Controller and I mean to the terminals of the battery, along with the inverter, if both fit well there.

People say 2 max but personally I wouldn't mind throwing some ring terminals for the 12v conveyer in too, also if you can make them fit. Everything needs to be sandwiched together flat, with no washers anywhere between any ring terminals and the conductive surface of the battery terminal. Washers only go between the bolt head and the top terminal in the stack.
Understood, the 48v to12v was a maybe (due to space) anyways so to start need to have it portable and charging with solar (2- 130watt portable solar panels in parallel), AC-in from home and from invertor generator in an emergency if needed.

Something I forgot to ask and been questioning is wire length.
Do the wires going from the battery to the EG4-3K or CC for that matter need to be the same length? If I mount it closer to one terminal than the other and don't need to same length wire to reach it.

I only have to learn something once for me to understand but I sometimes ask a lot of questions to get there.

Do the wires going from the battery to the EG4-3K or CC for that matter need to be the same length?
No. That only comes into play with parallel batteries.

We are happy for you to ask all your questions here. Even if I don't always sound that way in my text lol.

Don’t use the buss bar you took a picture of. That one is a brass bus bar - you want a tin plated copper bus bar.

Don’t use the buss bar you took a picture of. That one is a brass bus bar - you want a tin plated copper bus bar.
Thanks for the heads up.
Will probably go the route hwy17 recommended for the setup, but for later expansion will remember your information.

Back